Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 3, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #22,636 of 75,235
I've been listening to one of my forgotten earbuds - the **** PT15. I bought it during last year's Aliexpress 11.11 sale and it has not had much listening time since then, mainly because I found them to be a bit too heavy on my ears.

So I decided to give them another go, previously I was using the Monk+ porous foams on them and I have now figured out that they were just a bit loose when it came to the fitting, hence the reason my ears were feeling the full weight of the metal shells. I have since switched to donut foams and they have just enough cushion to hold it in my ears securely and comfortably, I am also getting a better seal as a result.

I won't elaborate too much on the SQ as there are already quite a few impressions on this thread. Comparing the effect of the donut foam vs the porous foam, there is an added layer of warmth, notes are a tad thicker or fatter, so not as articulate sounding as before but still pretty good, it doesn't sound as bright as what I remembered it to be, I guess because of the better seal.

I know that the PT15 has mixed opinions amongst us, either people thought it was too bright, not enough bass or it was not comfortable, but now that I have got my ear fitting issues resolved, it ticks a lot of boxes for me and I am really happy I did not get rid of these.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #22,637 of 75,235
Even Rose Tech. makes it clear that Mojito is tuned for classical music, so that's what it really good at - for extreme detail, soundstage and end-to-end dynamic. Vocal is where it is at its weakest, as mid range is a bit far and bland.

I like extreme detail, but i hate sibilance. I loved s-em9 in that sense. Would you suggest masya or mojito. I listen progressive rock in general, sometimes metal and jazz; "Yes", "Soft Machine", "King Crimson", "Metallica", "Blind Guardian". I like fast and paced tracks.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #22,638 of 75,235
I've been listening to one of my forgotten earbuds - the **** PT15. I bought it during last year's Aliexpress 11.11 sale and it has not had much listening time since then, mainly because I found them to be a bit too heavy on my ears.

So I decided to give them another go, previously I was using the Monk+ porous foams on them and I have now figured out that they were just a bit loose when it came to the fitting, hence the reason my ears were feeling the full weight of the metal shells. I have since switched to donut foams and they have just enough cushion to hold it in my ears securely and comfortably, I am also getting a better seal as a result.

I won't elaborate too much on the SQ as there are already quite a few impressions on this thread. Comparing the effect of the donut foam vs the porous foam, there is an added layer of warmth, notes are a tad thicker or fatter, so not as articulate sounding as before but still pretty good, it doesn't sound as bright as what I remembered it to be, I guess because of the better seal.

I know that the PT15 has mixed opinions amongst us, either people thought it was too bright, not enough bass or it was not comfortable, but now that I have got my ear fitting issues resolved, it ticks a lot of boxes for me and I am really happy I did not get rid of these.

Sometime between last Fall (when I bought a set of PT15) and this Spring (when I bought another set), **** changed something about the driver or tuning - and the current version has considerably more Bass. While it isn't a Basshead earbud, it has a much more balanced sound across the Bass, Midrange, & Treble.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #22,639 of 75,235
Sometime between last Fall (when I bought a set of PT15) and this Spring (when I bought another set), **** changed something about the driver or tuning - and the current version has considerably more Bass. While it isn't a Basshead earbud, it has a much more balanced sound across the Bass, Midrange, & Treble.

I have one on the way, so this is good to hear.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #22,640 of 75,235
Finally receive the **** Tank, make about 1 hour I listen to them so I can mustly talk about the very nice construction, thick twisted cable of really great quality, what I think it's a metal housing that is smaller that I was thinking and very beautifull. Refreshing earbud look to say the least!
P9030105.JPG
Soundwise it's very energic and punchy, not the largest soundstage but nice instrument separation, with these earbuds, yes, I can listen to electro (like Aphex Twin right now) but they are not bass monster and perhaps a little lighter more U shape than the MX500, vocal are more present, and details too.

Not disapointed at all for now....first impression is very pleasant!

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #22,641 of 75,235
Finally receive the **** Tank, make about 1 hour I listen to them so I can mustly talk about the very nice construction, thick twisted cable of really great quality, what I think it's a metal housing that is smaller that I was thinking and very beautifull. Refreshing earbud look to say the least!

Soundwise it's very energic and punchy, not the largest soundstage but nice instrument separation, with these earbuds, yes, I can listen to electro (like Aphex Twin right now) but they are not bass monster and perhaps a little lighter more U shape than the MX500, vocal are more present, and details too.

Very nice looking earbuds as well.......

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #22,642 of 75,235
Very nice looking earbuds as well.......
Yeah, classy and low profile...color fit well my style too hehe

But not as mesmerizing loking as your Ourart.

Was wondering, do you have the DIY MX500 in your earbud collection?

I compare these 2 right now.....hum....MX500 are like....unkillable! (they say in **** tank description KILL the MX500)

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #22,643 of 75,235
I have the DIY MX500 and really like them as well as the NICEHCK DIY Graphene MX760, but for the last 2 days I have been listening to just the Headroom MS16

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #22,644 of 75,235
I have the DIY MX500 and really like them as well as the NICEHCK DIY Graphene MX760, but for the last 2 days I have been listening to just the Headroom MS16

I found the MS16 to be unobjectionable, but not particularly suited for me. Might be a good alternative if you have fit issues with RX-1.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #22,645 of 75,235

A bit more bass would definitely give the PT15 more versatility across different music genres. Thanks for the info.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #22,646 of 75,235
Looks good. Very adorable. Seems to be a HQ product.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #22,647 of 75,235
simply, when assembling, a lot of glue was used, which covered the black damper and half the holes in the driver's casing, so the sound can differ from batch to batch.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #22,648 of 75,235
I had my buds reterminated by Triton Audio Cables. $105 for 3 buds. Guy did the work in a day, and shipped them next morning. Real quick service!

Edit: Maybe too quick. I just noticed he left exposed wire near the plug... (Said will do repair for free.)

I'll definitely be ordering strictly balanced buds from now on though (unless it's Vido cheap). Was not expecting such a huge improvement with AMP3. Considering removing my AMP2 impressions too, since I won't be using it anymore for buds. It's all the same description anyway: smoother treble, more presence in vocals, and better bass.

Well.

For the earphone, the secret of success is: first having a good design, apply the best parts and accessories available, then tune it to our liking.

Finding good housing, super speaker unit, low loss cable, low loss plugs, best acoustic foams and pads. Than the pure signal from a super source will faithfully be passed on to our precious ears!

It seems to me that Blur and Cyphreus are doing serious jobs on each of component. They select high quality parts...and give them to us according to $$$ we are paying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back