Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 12, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #22,066 of 75,341
Hey guys can anyone tell me how the shozy stardust sounds compared to say the qian 39? I have the ty650 and rose masya as well but I kind of prefer the qian 39. Im wondering if the stardust will have the sound signature I like. I dont like the ty650 or masya as they both sound a little on the thin side. Voices dont sound natural or full to me which is why i prefer the qian 39 it sounds more natural to me. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Are you using the stock cable with the Masya? Mine sounds fantastic, though I did think it sounded thin at first, but after some burn in it has really filled out. I did burn it in with very dynamic and bass heavy music.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #22,068 of 75,341
IMG_20170812_125012.jpg
Blur 魔音(magic sound) arrived in a nice leather pouch. Burning in progress.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #22,069 of 75,341
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think a lot of it is also how people who have a lot of experience with buds have become accustomed to a brighter signature...so much so that to them a bright signature sounds neutral to them. But if you take something as neutral as a reference monitor (ProPhile 8, for example), and compare them, you quickly see just how bright these buds can be (with regards to something which actually IS neutral).
That is a good point. I really only listen to buds at work (which is a distracting environment) or at home when I'm working in the yard or doing something else. 90% of listening with my full attention is done with the Utopias, so those have become the reference for my brain/ears. The Utopias are crisp on the treble, but def not bright like the two TY products I've tried.

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #22,070 of 75,341
That is a good point. I really only listen to buds at work (which is a distracting environment) or at home when I'm working in the yard or doing something else. 90% of listening with my full attention is done with the Utopias, so those have become the reference for my brain/ears. The Utopias are crisp on the treble, but def not bright like the two TY products I've tried.

Another issue, I think, is that (for whatever reason) people tend to confuse certain treble peaks with clarity and detail. No speaker can be more detailed or have greater clarity than what the music originally contains. When things start sounding overly bright and unnatural, that's not some new magical layer of detail.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #22,071 of 75,341
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think a lot of it is also how people who have a lot of experience with buds have become accustomed to a brighter signature...so much so that to them a bright signature sounds neutral to them. But if you take something as neutral as a reference monitor (ProPhile 8, for example), and compare them, you quickly see just how bright these buds can be (with regards to something which actually IS neutral).

I really love the bass on the 150s, but because of the overall brightness, I can't listen to them for too long without getting fatigued.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #22,073 of 75,341
DIY-EMX500-In-ear-Earphones-Flat-Head-Plug-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds-Heavy.jpg

Emx 500 vs Monks Ve +

Equipment and sources : laptop , iPhone , flacs, YouTube and x264 movies

I will say the best part of these earbuds are the sparkle and the sub bass with better detail and clarity compared to the monk.The mids are just about right without too much or too little but with more translucency . The monk rather has a toned harsh flat treble lacking detail and lacks sub bass but with a weighty forward mid (if high quality source) . the monks ve have this rather hard hitting rattling sound signature lacking transparency while theemx500 is articulating highs, lows , better transparent mids and the acoustics ( more reverb) are better. The monks VE lack any sort of reverb

As with emx500 detail is better in the upper and lower. Both have the same soundstage. But the emx500 has better depth in sound stage in terms of airiness.

Unlike the monks , the emx500 isn’t fussy about the source and hardware.The only area were the monks VE win is attack probably because of the emphasized mids ., example: The buildup of sound when an instrument is bowed, blown, struck, or plucked, rattling sound of space shuttle ect , but EMX is able to display vocals better than the monks VE which have a hollow vocals . The vocals are consistent and slightly translucent in the EMX500 and having some depth or present like a "cloud or bubble" .

Overall words to describe these earbuds : sparkling cold, crystallized like icy feeling but crisp detailed and acoustic with deep sub low. Slightly analytical at times at stock EQ.It is possible to change the sound feel by tweaking Eq. They respond well.

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #22,074 of 75,341
Should I just buy someone's used 150S? I have zero treble sensitivity and yay bass.

Still trying to picture the 150s as fairly as possible. I'd say they are tuned like very nice basement night club speakers. big bass, sharp clear highs. Can put a smile on your face all night if in the mood. Otherwise can be painful haha.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #22,077 of 75,341
I can sell you mine. Depends where you are located :grimacing:
How do you find the 150s vs the emx500? I expect you find them brighter? I had the 150s in the basket on ali, ready to push buy and just wanted to check one last time if new reviews had come up... and they sure had:) Now I'm quite afraid of that brightness. Thanks a lot for any input

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #22,078 of 75,341
well, there is a lot of names but the rankings is gone , i assumed it because many earbuds are not available in the market. i hope there will be new rankings that we could understand what is the top earbuds , of course with the recent new things that exist in the market.

Aug 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #22,079 of 75,341
Aug 13, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #22,080 of 75,341
IMG_4509.JPG
I don't think this is the ultimate mod for these buds, but it certainly makes them more enjoyable. Using them with my Shanling M2s + Fiio A3, with bass boost turned on (buds always need a little extra help) the 150s now feels pretty well-balanced. The next step would be to experiment with tuning foam and cotton to really refine the signature.
I wasn't feeling ambitious enough to open up the shells. So tried some Blu-tack on the outside of the shells. Also switched to Heigi full foams. The result is that some of the sharpness is cut a bit, so that these are bright but not piercing. The mids to seem a bit more recessed with the Blu-tack though.

These are now listenable, but I'm still not thrilled. My job at work involves tinkering, so I don't want to tinker when I get home...... much prefer something enjoyable out of the box.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back