Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #22,036 of 75,272
Got the Blur today! Really glad I asked for balanced. They still take more volume than my other buds, even through the balanced port!

Did a quick listen too. They sound very mid forward, but take the analytical approach, instead of warm/relaxed that I'm used to hearing with this type of signature. Very clear and detailed. Reminds me of a souped-up Blue Demun. Wonder if it'll soften after burn in.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #22,037 of 75,272
Does anyone have any info on the VE Nirvana? New member to the VE Family? Zen replacement? Bud or IEM? Thanks!

From the last Lee's AMA on reddit (VE's owner):

nirvana is the totl we r doing

zen black is zen 2.0 with cardas CABLE, COPPER ALLOY

zen white is the zen 2.0 with 8 braid 4n oyaide cable

i say, stick with the standard for now, no point upgrading till the nirvana is out, so u can decide them unless u love the zen2.0 to death like certain ppl, and say **** u like i need.this lol, then u can get them by paying me the difference, but u.cant blame me later when i.reveal nirvana and stuff lol

our zen black is priced at 358usd ~which we sold quite a lot (for a earbud in that "classic" (bad) look, and a very stiff cardas cable ) we r currently working on nirvana ~ which is close to the finish line~(which we have also been doing for the past two year) , I expect more bashing when they are out~ btw the 716usd , zen white is just a guideline price , they are way more expensive than the black, but everybody who can buy them is a customer in the first place and only those who can really afford it I will tell them to get it, with a very straight warning, nirvana is not too far away, or some else ~ for those who r not as demanding , I will try to look them down, we tried to order from oyaide japan , that 4n pure silver cable is just really really hard to order( i suspect some of the brand is just going to like ~ you know...order that cable and put a sleeve on it then sell for 2k 3k lol) , but it is really good, I recommend any cable love to try it~ it is about like 15-20usd per meter, I can't remember exactly~from oyaide japan

I'm just trying to figure out if it'll be another MX500 shell with some special cable and tuning or something really new.
From this quote probably this gonna be something sound-wise better than Zen 2 then expect something expensive.

we don't do discount like EVER.
The Zen is priced based on the sound quality that we achieved, not the cost , like I said the cost of the zen is not that much different than the Monk plus~

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #22,038 of 75,272
Thanks! Good info.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #22,039 of 75,272
Got the Blur today! Really glad I asked for balanced. They still take more volume than my other buds, even through the balanced port!

Did a quick listen too. They sound very mid forward, but take the analytical approach, instead of warm/relaxed that I'm used to hearing with this type of signature. Very clear and detailed. Reminds me of a souped-up Blue Demun. Wonder if it'll soften after burn in.
I just ordered my Blur today. Very excited! I also have the DX200. Good synergy?

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #22,040 of 75,272
From the last Lee's AMA on reddit (VE's owner):
we don't do discount like EVER.
The Zen is priced based on the sound quality that we achieved, not the cost , like I said the cost of the zen is not that much different than the Monk plus~

the monk cost about half (of 5usd) to make~ and zen is not much more expensive than it~ the zen is more expensive labor wise to test and pair matching~ (pair matching down to 1.5 db and following one curve is very hard), but it doesn't cost about the same to make~and the R&D of the zen is very easy

That's clear! And it si something that I'm suspected that for a long time...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #22,044 of 75,272

I have the SE 'silver' Blur, and am very happy with them. They have a great soundstage and do everything well.

There has been a lot of controversy about these on the earbud facebook groups, but I think they are a strong performer. Worth the price? IMHO that is totally subjective. Some people seem to have a moral objection to paying a premium for DIY products, but to me it is like going to a street festival...... If you can't afford/don't want to pay for someone's macrame or photo of the local bridge, then don't. :L3000:

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #22,045 of 75,272
Newest-FENGRU-DIY-EMX500-In-ear-Earphones-Flat-Head-Plug-DIY-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ.jpg

I just got the DIY EMX500 and have been using it for a few days. Here is a initial review

the sound signature ihas similar characteristics to the monks. The sound is just right with a mixture of warm and cold tonality. Warm + sweet sound signature.The sound has interesting "flavours" in treble, mid-bass and bass at different times in a a song or movie.There is decent attack and spaciousness in the sound with the right translucency , clarity fluidity and layering. They can described as being analytical with a natural, organic accurate sound imaging and wide soundstage with decent layering and resolution. There is less distortion and noise and rather clean.

Treble: A decent amount of sparkle, detail and and crispness. Analytical, smooth and organic in nature. Clear and decent amount of transparency and resolution and weight and presence. There is a certain amount of wetness to the lower treble. No harshness or sibilance.This is where these earbuds trash the monks.

Mids: Neither recessed or too forward but maintains a good sense of presence with a cold tonality.A good amount of detail and smoothness. The lower mids are where the mids excel in detail.Vocals are clear with a certain upper mid emphasis to them for some detail and clarity.Compared to the monks which have a very forward full bodies mid,there is no harshness or fatigue while vocals is still relatively forward. There is a good sense of attack and accuracy to the mids.

Bass: Excellent sub bass. Smooth and accurate. There is little distortion with a emphasis on the lower mids to sub bass. there is cold tonality/timbre to the sub bass while the monks have a warm upper bass with sub bass lacking.Bass strong but not overwhelming.

Soundstage: THey have a wide soundstage comparable to the monks but detail , imaging horizontal, vertical depth and clarity is better.Positioning and accuracy is better than the monks but the rhythm ( movement of sound) in the monks is slightly better. But There is better articulation between high, mids and low compared tot he monks which are rather flat.Much lesser noise and distortion than the monks.

Should u buy this over the monks? Yes if u are interested in smooth but clean sound with better details.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #22,046 of 75,272
I have the SE 'silver' Blur, and am very happy with them. They have a great soundstage and do everything well.

There has been a lot of controversy about these on the earbud facebook groups, but I think they are a strong performer. Worth the price? IMHO that is totally subjective. Some people seem to have a moral objection to paying a premium for DIY products, but to me it is like going to a street festival...... If you can't afford/don't want to pay for someone's macrame or photo of the local bridge, then don't. :L3000:

Was actually listening to them some more last night. They seem too mid-forward, almost to a fault... I'm not too crazy about them from the neutral AMP1 module, but they sound much better through the warmer AMP2. I think their signature makes them heavily source dependent.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #22,048 of 75,272
I actually had the same problem with Vidos and Fengru EMX500, where they would randomly crackle on one side or both when pushed. In my case, this wasn't distortion but inaccurate membrane position, that is, membranes of these earbuds are not glued to the rest of the driver and they are held all around the edge by pressure that casings provide. In my case, if I were to press on them, very hard towards my head, creating additional pressure on the edge of the membrane as a result, crackling disappeared completely. With Vidos, problem went away when I took them apart and put them back together (somehow, on its own, I guess they were not properly assembled, easiest fix ever though). With EMX, it didn't get fixed on its own after reassembling them. I think the best option would be to extend the edge of the rear casing a little so that it pushes on driver more when you connect the front case to it, for now I am thinking of gluing a piece of paper and cutting the paper nicely to the round plastic. (unfortunately, I managed to disconnect one of the cables and have no access to soldering iron at the moment so I can't say exactly if this works)

Exactly, I actually have one pair of $7 Cubu "s" earbuds that when the driver cracks, I slam it against a wall or poll and the crackle goes away!

Done it three times in six months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back