Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 6, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #22,006 of 75,253
I think I like "neutral"(I put quotes around it since we all claim we want neutral to some degree, but may not be the reality of it), evened out sound. Love clarity and detail so that may mean analytical. I don't mind analytical as I see lacking in it as smooth, and buffered in pushed details.

It's probably contradictory to like forward mids, and also wide sound stage(as they may contradict each other in tuning). Also, want something neutral, but also wide sound stage. Perfection would ideally be neutral, clear and detailed, with fine resolving treble trextures with wide soundstage. I think my wants could be contradictory. :beyersmile:
Rose Masya bright, Shozy BK with neutral mids and more bass

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #22,007 of 75,253
I think I like "neutral"(I put quotes around it since we all claim we want neutral to some degree, but may not be the reality of it), evened out sound. Love clarity and detail so that may mean analytical. I don't mind analytical as I see lacking in it as smooth, and buffered in pushed details.

It's probably contradictory to like forward mids, and also wide sound stage(as they may contradict each other in tuning). Also, want something neutral, but also wide sound stage. Perfection would ideally be neutral, clear and detailed, with fine resolving treble trextures with wide soundstage. I think my wants could be contradictory. :beyersmile:

I can suggest 2 TOTL earbuds that might suit your preferences: Shozy BK/Stardust and ABnormal Labs Diomnes (Lv2 - the most TOTL one of the 3 versions of Diomnes).

Shozy BK is relatively easy to find. Diomnes is a "pimped" VE Monk (original, not the plus version). Since the original Monk is disconitinued and difficult to find it can be difficult to get a pair of Diomnes. If you do come across a pair of original Monk you can send it to the ABnormal Lab guys in Indonesia and ask them to make a pair of Diomnes Lv2. I bought my pair when they still had access to original Monk and it cost $180 excluding shipping. Shozy BK is not too far from the sound of Diomnes (Lv2).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #22,008 of 75,253
Here's a real detail of what I'm looking for:

Transparency: Depends on recording like how it should output, and details on the recordings are output transparently.

Wide sound stage: We all know headphones provides illusion of stage and this is probably achieved by V or U shaped signature, but wan't at most good imaging, placements. Shouldn't sound narrowed off, and wide as headphones can get without perceivable uneven signature.

Separation: Coinsides with clarity, I want to be able to makeout distinctions of different sounds

Clarity: This one should be straight forward

Treble: Should not have a spike or too analytical, but should require to some degree to be resolving and detailed. It should be fine to cause very good resolution

Signature: Would Ideally be even or neutral

Dimention: Should output sound like the real world, have definition and dimentionality to the sound, like an audible shape. Like 3D in sound

That all put together, done cohesively would be perfection!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #22,009 of 75,253
Was looking at Tyll's measurement for earbuds, and they are usually the same, the significant linear bass drop-off. How is that delt with? It's obvious, it's the result of lack of seal. The one with the least steap drop-off is the Yuin PK1.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #22,010 of 75,253
I actually had the same problem with Vidos and Fengru EMX500, where they would randomly crackle on one side or both when pushed. In my case, this wasn't distortion but inaccurate membrane position, that is, membranes of these earbuds are not glued to the rest of the driver and they are held all around the edge by pressure that casings provide. In my case, if I were to press on them, very hard towards my head, creating additional pressure on the edge of the membrane as a result, crackling disappeared completely. With Vidos, problem went away when I took them apart and put them back together (somehow, on its own, I guess they were not properly assembled, easiest fix ever though). With EMX, it didn't get fixed on its own after reassembling them. I think the best option would be to extend the edge of the rear casing a little so that it pushes on driver more when you connect the front case to it, for now I am thinking of gluing a piece of paper and cutting the paper nicely to the round plastic. (unfortunately, I managed to disconnect one of the cables and have no access to soldering iron at the moment so I can't say exactly if this works)

Interesting and a little frightning too!
So, firstly, after I ask a friend to try the MX500 with my listening volume and he yeal What it'S so LOUD! I conclude I listen music very loudly for real and perhaps this is the real problem....I feel kind of unlucky cause my second favorite earbud MrZ Tomahawk rattle too in one side now:frowning2: (thi is less normal than MX500 I think...perhaps a hair enter it?).
But, my instinct tell me it's perhaps the somewhat tiny loosy cable that go inside earshell that vibrate and create rattling when bass is super loud. DO you think it can just be that?
Brighter source look like to prompt the problem too.
Will try just taping the cable so i'm sure it do not share...but the one connected back of drivers can be the problem.
Any picture of what is inside MX500???

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #22,011 of 75,253
Was looking at Tyll's measurement for earbuds, and they are usually the same, the significant linear bass drop-off. How is that delt with? It's obvious, it's the result of lack of seal. The one with the least steap drop-off is the Yuin PK1.

I don't think he has measured any of the newer earbuds, which people in here would consider TOTL. You would probably be surprised how good bass response can be in an earbud these days, but still there will be a steeper roll off compared to an IEM. The thing with earbud bass though is that it is very dynamic and punchy, something many IEM's struggle with regardless of how low the bass extends. To give you an idea of what an earbud can do these days, I'll just say that 20hz can be easily audible, not loud and thunderous, but If you play a 20hz test tone you will hear it on buds with good bass response. Treble is also more rolled off in earbuds compared to IEM's. Many people consider the Shozy BK to be a neutral/reference sound signature and also a TOTL earbud. I agree in the context of earbuds, but compared to a neutral/reference IEM, the treble is laid back imo.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #22,012 of 75,253
Interesting and a little frightning too!
So, firstly, after I ask a friend to try the MX500 with my listening volume and he yeal What it'S so LOUD! I conclude I listen music very loudly for real and perhaps this is the real problem....I feel kind of unlucky cause my second favorite earbud MrZ Tomahawk rattle too in one side now:frowning2: (thi is less normal than MX500 I think...perhaps a hair enter it?).
But, my instinct tell me it's perhaps the somewhat tiny loosy cable that go inside earshell that vibrate and create rattling when bass is super loud. DO you think it can just be that?
Brighter source look like...
No, drivers don't vibrate that hard to even begin to move the cable in any way. Try playing something bass heavy loudly and when they rattle, keep replaying that section of a song while applying pressure to them, just push them towards your ear. If it disappears, you have exactly the same problem as I do, if it doesn't press harder or if you think you've pressed hard enough (please don't hurt yourself, when I say hard, I mean as hard as you can without damaging your skin or feeling like it hurts too much), than you can conclude that you are pushing them beyond their limits. For me, this rattling happens at quite loud volume, but I do listen to even louder sometimes. When I maxed out my output, working side didn't distort at all, and we are talking about some seriously loud music at this point, so I think that you are having exactly the same problem as I do, which is not enough pressure on the driver.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #22,015 of 75,253
Can anyone give me an impression of the Edimun v3? Came across the bengelmacro site and it just looked so good. Wondering if the sound is as good. I like hiphop and R&B. Are there better buds for the price?
Edimun v3 has forward sound with big boomy subass, perhaps the biggest. It's especially good for modern music with small soundstage. I think it could be a very good match with rnb and hip-hop music. I haven't heard them for a very long time so I can't compare... But since they came out. A lot of earbuds with good bass became cheaper and cheaper.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #22,016 of 75,253
Wow the graphene buds seem to change the future of earbuds. If a DIY graphene earbud already sounds that good, I do want to know what happens when something like VE / TY HiZ / Shozy etc starts making those.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #22,017 of 75,253
Edimun v3 has forward sound with big boomy subass, perhaps the biggest. It's especially good for modern music with small soundstage. I think it could be a very good match with rnb and hip-hop music. I haven't heard them for a very long time so I can't compare... But since they came out. A lot of earbuds with good bass became cheaper and cheaper.

sub bass-wise, the newer buds like vido and emx500 extend deeper than edimun, but mid and high clarity, and overall quality of the sound, to me the edimun is still better

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #22,019 of 75,253
Wow the graphene buds seem to change the future of earbuds. If a DIY graphene earbud already sounds that good, I do want to know what happens when something like VE / TY HiZ / Shozy etc starts making those.

I really like the DIY Graphene earbud, but I don't think the driver has a real graphene membrane. I think at best it might be graphene coated, but it could even just be marketing BS. I opened mine up and took some photos of the inside. Here they are:
IMG_20170806_121822.jpg
IMG_20170806_121945.jpg

Still, it is a very nice earbud imo.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #22,020 of 75,253
Really? Buds better to block out the microphonics? Even when swinging? I could see the point regarding the IEMs sealed really well, and the vibration can easily be translated as the better seal has more contract with the ear. But still, when you are walking with buds, it is still in contact with the ear, and the swinging should be heard. Perhaps the foam material in cases reduces the microphonics?

I don't find sitting on a bus or train(way worse) good for listening at all. Vibration though the body gets translated.
For me, few issues with IEMs are that they are not comfortable and you will always feel that some alien is inserted in your ear canal. More bigger issue is that you will hear your own voice very loud and coming from the cavity if you sing with the song or use microphone of IEMs for talking. It sounds so unnatural that I did not realise initially and ended up buying JVC and TDK earbud but they are not in use any more and pieces of junk for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back