Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 5, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #21,976 of 75,504
Is your intention with this post, just to stir things up?
With more than 1400 pages of discussion about Earbuds (in this thread alone), it's pretty obvious that the answer to your one question, is "Yes".

You have to keep in mind we're a very small portion of Head-Fi. I mean, we could have a meet for all our members in a single room of halfway decent size. So, I'd say @SilverEars has a legitimate question.

The biggest limitation to earbuds are the bass, but that doesn't mean they're incapable, just not of basshead levels. Given your preferred sound sig, it's abilities in respect to bass are more than sufficient. As far as the isolation comment, it's the same on open vs closed headphones for the argument.

The thing to keep in mind is earbuds up until a couple years ago were incredibly limited in options. It's only been recently that they've had a renaissance.

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #21,977 of 75,504

I'm going to have to think about it... The Hanekawa version is $100 cheaper through Amazon Japan, but do sellers even ship international there?

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #21,978 of 75,504
I'm going to have to think about it... The Hanekawa version is $100 cheaper through Amazon Japan, but do sellers even ship international there?

Some do, some don't. Usually if I put something from amazon japan in my cart and they don't, there will be a notice saying so and it won't let me check out until I remove that item.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #21,980 of 75,504
I already say I adore my DIY MX500....because of a superb bas response among other thing, but unfortunately at high volume that I listen too it can cause distortion...wich limit the real joyfull experience. Anybody have this issue, look like my 2 pairs do this, when I mean bass distortion it's when I give them the big beat stuff, like very heavy in thumping bass-sub music.
Rock, jazz classical bass do not create that, just idm, techno and rap, but without this distrotion I feel it can achieve INCREDIbLY low and beefy bass performance.
Still adoooooore the MX500, just wanna have a real passionate love affair with them, fusional ya know:wink:

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #21,982 of 75,504
I already say I adore my DIY MX500....because of a superb bas response among other thing, but unfortunately at high volume that I listen too it can cause distortion...wich limit the real joyfull experience. Anybody have this issue, look like my 2 pairs do this, when I mean bass distortion it's when I give them the big beat stuff, like very heavy in thumping bass-sub music.
Rock, jazz classical bass do not create that, just idm, techno and rap, but without this distrotion I feel it can achieve INCREDIbLY low and beefy bass performance.
Still adoooooore the MX500, just wanna have a real passionate love affair with them, fusional ya know:wink:

How much EQ are you using?

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #21,983 of 75,504
How much EQ are you using?
Zero....never use EQ to be honnest. Not a fan, especially with Ibasso.
I like how they sound out of Ibasso DX90 or Xduoo X3+Ibasso Boa amp or Ibasso WM8740 DAC.

I know that I listen music at higher volume that everybody else that I know too:sweat_smile:

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #21,984 of 75,504

Try to get some 75Ohms adapter like the DUNU ones, it'll give you a better volume control at least. I had a similar problem and I fixed the distortion using it, I won't guarantee it'll solve your problem but since It's cheap and maybe can help you, worth a try.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #21,986 of 75,504
Some do, some don't. Usually if I put something from amazon japan in my cart and they don't, there will be a notice saying so and it won't let me check out until I remove that item.

Gave it shot, and failed... Not available internationally...

I see they have a non-Kizu brand version that goes for the same price, so I might bite the bullet and buy from Amazon US to try these buds since the price inflation isn't due to the brand.

Don't see it unfortunately...

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #21,987 of 75,504
These are emx500 ( = fengru diy mx500), 32 ohms? if so, yes many have had problems, if you're on facebook join the earbuds group (I'm not on fb) where it has been mentioned many times. To me it seems many for some reason have had problems with the right driver, and me too on the first pair, it is useless now. I tried opening and correcting, but did'nt work. My second pair works perfectly until now, waiting for third pair. I've decided that the chance of finding something better for my taste is too small to buy others, and when I have 2 pairs with 1 bud not working I'm just gonna combine the working buds:)

I remember one of my first thoughts with emx500 was that it was too powerful for its own good, maybe I wrote it here. I still think that. But it might also be that they had problems with the first batch, it could seem that later ones dont have the problems.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #21,988 of 75,504

I actually had the same problem with Vidos and Fengru EMX500, where they would randomly crackle on one side or both when pushed. In my case, this wasn't distortion but inaccurate membrane position, that is, membranes of these earbuds are not glued to the rest of the driver and they are held all around the edge by pressure that casings provide. In my case, if I were to press on them, very hard towards my head, creating additional pressure on the edge of the membrane as a result, crackling disappeared completely. With Vidos, problem went away when I took them apart and put them back together (somehow, on its own, I guess they were not properly assembled, easiest fix ever though). With EMX, it didn't get fixed on its own after reassembling them. I think the best option would be to extend the edge of the rear casing a little so that it pushes on driver more when you connect the front case to it, for now I am thinking of gluing a piece of paper and cutting the paper nicely to the round plastic. (unfortunately, I managed to disconnect one of the cables and have no access to soldering iron at the moment so I can't say exactly if this works)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back