Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 25, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #19,891 of 75,203
Hi all. I am wondering if somebody might be able to chime in and help with something? I have been listening to the Hi-Z 650's recently, and whilst they are decent sounding I am just not overly impressed considering the price and TOTL status. I am enjoying much cheaper buds a lot more (including the Hi-Z 150's and 32S's), finding the 650's just do not have the extension at both ends and a rather 'lifeless hollow' sound.
Now I am generally a believer in burn in, I am confident I have heard it with some phones and speakers, and that the 650's can require up to 200 hours worth to shine (I have around 50 hours on them so far). But has anybody found this to be true and genuinely felt that these need this amount to become impressive?
I am aware that it could just be that these buds are not to my liking. But I do not want to give up on them just yet incase some of the magic takes hold and I sell something that could have been a proper keeper.
Thanks in advance.

I'm not a believer in burn in for earbuds, and never noticed a difference in my Ty HP650. They sounded great first listen out of the box. 
"'lifeless hollow' sound" - for me just the opposite. Listening to some types of music with my 650's is like being in the Matrix, brings me down into the rabbit hole which is a good thing!

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #19,893 of 75,203
Hi all. I am wondering if somebody might be able to chime in and help with something? I have been listening to the Hi-Z 650's recently, and whilst they are decent sounding I am just not overly impressed considering the price and TOTL status. I am enjoying much cheaper buds a lot more (including the Hi-Z 150's and 32S's), finding the 650's just do not have the extension at both ends and a rather 'lifeless hollow' sound.
Now I am generally a believer in burn in, I am confident I have heard it with some phones and speakers, and that the 650's can require up to 200 hours worth to shine (I have around 50 hours on them so far). But has anybody found this to be true and genuinely felt that these need this amount to become impressive?
I am aware that it could just be that these buds are not to my liking. But I do not want to give up on them just yet incase some of the magic takes hold and I sell something that could have been a proper keeper.
Thanks in advance.

I ended up giving my HP650 away, didn’t think I could charge anything for them, as they sounded completely off to my ears - dry and distant, like sitting all the way back in a concert hall, or even in foyer listening through open doors. (This was after 100h burn-in). Considering the overly positive reviews on here, maybe there are driver QC issues, I don’t know. Honestly wouldn’t recommend HP650 to anyone, based on my experience (which was in november 2016). 

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #19,894 of 75,203

Thanks in advance.

I ended up giving my HP650 away, didn’t think I could charge anything for them, as they sounded completely off to my ears - dry and distant, like sitting all the way back in a concert hall, or even in foyer listening through open doors. (This was after 100h burn-in). Considering the overly positive reviews on here, maybe there are driver QC issues, I don’t know. Honestly wouldn’t recommend HP650 to anyone, based on my experience (which was in november 2016). 

Not everyone likes the HP650. I think overall the comments are mixed. You may have gotten a bad pair or maybe too flat sounding for your taste - as in like a monitor headphone.  For example, @vapman was ready to sell them, not enough energy or whatever. They are not for everyone. For me an all rounder. There are the very positive reviews, and you have to take all reviews with a grain of salt.

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #19,896 of 75,203
My pt15 and k's 64 from aliexpress anniversary sales finally came~~

Am i wrong to like the k's 64 more than my candy monks?? I feel that it is more refined in the highs and mids and has a wider soundstage. But the monks have a more prominent bass and has no microphonics. The K's cable makes sooo much noise when moving around :frowning2:

Pt15 are still in the oven burning..

Still waiting for the zishan z1 to reach so that i can burn them tgt in the oven~~

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #19,897 of 75,203
Any link to Foam Cushions which comes with SHE3800. Not looking for Heigi as they are expensive. Other good quality ones will be fine but the one which comes with SHE3800 are more like cloth and fits well. But any suggestion is welcomed.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #19,898 of 75,203
What are the most Grado like earbuds under $150? I am in no hurry to get them so price isn't a huge issue.

I've never head a pair of Grado, but have seen Edifier H180 called mini-grados. I destroyed my old ones trying to recable them, but just got a new pair today. Sounds excellent to me, much better than I remembered, or maybe they've changed the sound a bit (old ones were 3 years old I think). Also maybe look a red demun or edimun v3

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #19,899 of 75,203
I've never head a pair of Grado, but have seen Edifier H180 called mini-grados. I destroyed my old ones trying to recable them, but just got a new pair today. Sounds excellent to me, much better than I remembered, or maybe they've changed the sound a bit (old ones were 3 years old I think). Also maybe look a red demun or edimun v3

I've owned some Grado's. Red Demun and Edimun would be that exact opposite of what he is looking for. Blue Demun would actually be closer. Grado's are bright as hell, with sub-bass roll off. Liked them when I first got into headphones, but now I can't stand them. Just look up earbuds that sound bright, tinny, and uncomfortable, and it should match.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #19,900 of 75,203
Question about technique --- When you're using double (or triple) foams - Do you place the foams inside each other, and then install them on your earbuds, or - Do you stack them on the earbuds, one at a time?

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #19,902 of 75,203
I've owned some Grado's. Red Demun and Edimun would be that exact opposite of what he is looking for. Blue Demun would actually be closer. Grado's are bright as hell, with sub-bass roll off. Liked them when I first got into headphones, but now I can't stand them. Just look up earbuds that sound bright, tinny, and uncomfortable, and it should match.

Well good thing that was corrected :smile_phones: I was referring to the 2 last H180 reviews here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/edifier-hi-fi-stereo-headphone-h180-black.15972/

I don't recognize this grado-signature in the H180 sound, but I'm guessing these gentlemen refer to upper mids/treble. I don't find the H180 uncomfortable bright, though it is surely brighter than for example SHE3800 to my ears. I've never heard the indonese ones.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #19,903 of 75,203
Definitely one at a time. Carefully stretch the second one over the first then use your fingernails or some plastic tweezers to pull them over.
I do it with doughnut foams, but most of the generic ones do have the hole dead centre so it can be tricky making them look decent on both sides. But the Hiegi's work perfectly.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #19,905 of 75,203
Got my K's 300 and Yinman 150. Gotta say they are pretty good sounding but i kinda love my modded Awei ES10 with MX500 shell hmmmm

Edit: And the new layout sucks lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back