Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 18, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #19,684 of 75,871
Does anyone else own the T-Music V2s? I have been really enjoying mine to the point where all my other earbuds never get touched (Monk +, SHE3800, Hi-Z 32ohm and T-Music V1).

I guess I will look for the next step up soon. I tend to go for mid focused (HD600) or brighter headphones (Grados). Is there anything in the next step up in terms of price that would be worth getting ($30-$80)? Also it needs to be able to be driven off either my LG V20 or a FiiO Q1.

No, because on AliExpress to the UK, the shipping is £25! They don't seem to do AliExpress standard shipping, ePacket etc so the cheapest is EMS.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #19,685 of 75,871
Hey guys! I'm looking for a great low impedance, mid-tier, all-rounder earbud for daily listening. :)

1. $50 and under is my budget.
2. At this point I don't use amps of any kind. I just run stuff through laptops, phones, & other music players directly.
3. I typically listen to a mix of ambient (Hammock, Owsey, Stars of the Lid), electronic (BT, Bonobo, Telefon Tel Aviv), and rock of all kinds (M83, Animals as Leaders, The 1975).
4. I already own the Monk+ (not enough bass for me), Qian39 (need more time with this to decide, but too veiled for now), Hi-Z HP-32s (love the bass, but lacking mids), and Edifier H180 (my fave earbud currently). In an earlier post, I alluded to owning & loving the PK3 back in the day too.

Do you have any suggestions? I've read through most of the posts here and suspect that the following might be options:

-Tomahawk - great soundstage, which should benefit ambient music. But does it work for electronic?
-Boarseman MX98s - good for rock and metal. But will it work for ambient?
-Tp16 - neutral sound signature?

Would any of the above work? If I need to skew towards any of my genre preferences here, I'll skew towards ambient - but I don't want zero bass for rock/electronic tracks as well :) Thanks guys! Let me speak for all lurkers when I say this thread has been incredibly helpful for so many!

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #19,686 of 75,871
  -Tomahawk - great soundstage, which should benefit ambient music. But does it work for electronic?

Out of the 3 you listed, I suggest the Toneking TP16. It does have a neutral sound sig indeed, but brighter than Monk+.
It can cater to all of the genres you listed (we do have some overlaps with the bands you listed as well hehe).
Definitely one of the best looking buds too, with the silver+black contrast of the cables and housing.
Its cables could never get tangled, plus it also has a mic, so bonus points for that.

Boarseman MX98 has wobbly bass, so it might not be good for electronic/edm.
I never had the chance to try the Tomahawk yet though.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #19,687 of 75,871
Hey guys! I'm looking for a great low impedance, mid-tier, all-rounder earbud for daily listening. :)

2. At this point I don't use amps of any kind. I just run stuff through laptops, phones, & other music players directly.
3. I typically listen to a mix of ambient (Hammock, Owsey, Stars of the Lid), electronic (BT, Bonobo, Telefon Tel Aviv), and rock of all kinds (M83, Animals as Leaders, The 1975).
4. I already own the Monk+ (not enough bass for me), Qian39 (need more time with this to decide, but too veiled for now), Hi-Z HP-32s (love the bass, but lacking mids), and Edifier H180 (my fave earbud currently). In an earlier post, I alluded to owning & loving the PK3 back in the day too.

Do you have any suggestions? I've read through most of the posts here and suspect that the following might be options:

Would any of the above work? If I need to skew towards any of my genre preferences here, I'll skew towards ambient - but I don't want zero bass for rock/electronic tracks as well :) Thanks guys! Let me speak for all lurkers when I say this thread has been incredibly helpful for so many!

i recommend the TP16 or the Edifier H185. to me they are the best all arounder under 50

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #19,688 of 75,871

We don't really have similar music tastes, however one thing I'd say about the TP16 and the Tomahawk, is I can't for the life of me get them to stay in my ears, whereas I have no problem with the VE, TY and Qian earbuds.

I don't know if they're just weighted differently or if it's just me, but it spoils those two earbuds for me such that I never use them, even though I like their sound.

Obviously I can't say if you would find the same, as it would vary based on different ears. And it may just be me!

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #19,689 of 75,871

Just listened to "Owsey - I Felt Helpless Looking At You Then" with the TP16.
The atmosphere is engulfing and the rumbling electronic bass that kicked in are definitely felt.

The djenty slap-bass on the intro of "Animals As Leaders - Physical Education" are crispy af,
and the instrument separation/soundstage of the guitars/synths on "The 1975 - Sex" is wide enough.

YMMV of course. :)

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #19,690 of 75,871
ZoneX23, try
DIY EMX50
17504461_1345055532255589_8529175301343936644_o.jpg

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #19,691 of 75,871

I went with https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-New-Arrival-In-ear-Earphones-Flat-Head-Plug-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds-Heavy/32789378048.html which I'd assume is the same as the EMX50.  For a bassy budget earbud, it's quite remarkable.  With some EQ on Shanling M1, it's my favorite budget setup.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #19,692 of 75,871
@ZoneX23 although I just got these, and haven't used them much the nicehck diy pk2 seem to be pretty good all-rounders, like the shozy cygnus that shares sound sig

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #19,693 of 75,871

Loving this combi so far! Faael 64ohms with shanling m1, stacked with walnut.
Great bass response while retaining a fun signature without losing too much resolution!

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #19,694 of 75,871
Since I purchased some Diomnes earbuds recently, I decided to sell the rest of my non-TOTL earbuds. This includes Red Demun and Heavenly Sounds Cadenza. Check my other earbud listings as well.

See my signature for a comparison list of these earbuds!

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #19,695 of 75,871
  Since I purchased some Diomnes earbuds recently, I decided to sell the rest of my non-TOTL earbuds. This includes Red Demun and Heavenly Sounds Cadenza. Check my other earbud listings as well.

See my signature for a comparison list of these earbuds!

If I didnt already have them, I would gobble up those Red Demuns.  Can't beat a nice discount and no waiting for shipping from Indonesia.  I like them more than my Mojitos and probably my Zen 2.0s since they are more versatile.  They sound good with everything and all genres.  Currently, my 2nd favorite in my collection.  I hate the cable but the sound is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back