Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 27, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #10,880 of 75,878

What would you consider to be a step up from Monk Plus within $20, $50, $100 price range? Will use them for jazz, chillout, and rock.

I guess many would agree that for 20 usd mark one of the best options would be RX-1.

I was considering the RX-1 but mixed opinions here. By trying other buds you may just find out how good the Monk+ really is. 
I'll likely get the 1More  Piston Android/iOS (1more EO320 XiaoMi Hybrid In-Ear Earphone stereo earbud with Remote Mic ) just for comparison. And the mic and controls might come in handy.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #10,881 of 75,878
  What would you consider to be a step up from Monk Plus within $20, $50, $100 price range? Will use them for jazz, chillout, and rock.

Honestly for straight ahead Rock the MP hits the spot. I also drag with me either the RX1 for vocals or Jazz and Music maker TP16. I don't own any buds above the $35 mark as I found none that wow me at  price points above there. Note I have not listened to Cygnus, Zen or Mojito.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #10,882 of 75,878

Cygnus in my book is the only one that I would rate as a must have from what I tried. It is not perfect, but certainly is fun. Monk at its price is awesome, but price is the factor. I would not call it awesome if it was > than $25...

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #10,886 of 75,878

RX1 has a big issue for me, the static electricity pops when using a DAP with the RX1 when walking, maybe it's my jeans frictionating, but all other earbuds/IEMs I have don't have this issue.

That's pretty wild, I don't think I've heard of anybody else having this issue (I think) and I had two sets of RX1 at one time... anyone else get static pops in their RX1?

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #10,889 of 75,878
I'm still listening to only Cygnus for portable use (I use Zen 2 ...or full sized cans, when I'm at home with an amp). They are basically perfect for my ears. Great soundstage, great bass, great 3D imaging, and perfect vocals. I use the Heigi foams for them now (my stock ones got super dirty). Have to say that the Heigi foams make Cygnus even more comfortable and are thicker/more durable. However they also turn yellow after a while. I'm beginning to think all white foams turn yellowish.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #10,890 of 75,878
Ostry KC08 is super V-shaped. So expect recessed vocals, but epic treble and bass. They are the only earbud I have with really really low extension on sub-bass. Like you can feel the bass. But some people call it excessive or "bloated". I thought it was cool. But I don't really dig V-shaped too much as compared to balanced tonal signature so I don't use the KC08's too much unless I want to have a bass session with hip-hop music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back