Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 27, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #10,861 of 75,871
I'm actually thinking that the J she3800 might just be replacement because of sudden surge of orders?

But from other people description of it and my own early assessment , I can hear the potential here.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #10,862 of 75,871
Still waiting on my Penon Audio order, is two weeks after leaving Hong Kong but no update for US arrival normal, or a little slow?  It's been awhile since I ordered from Penon last, so can't remember quite how slow they are.  I know for Ali orders, I'd typically receive my orders in around 10-14 days.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #10,863 of 75,871
  Still waiting on my Penon Audio order, is two weeks after leaving Hong Kong but no update for US arrival normal, or a little slow?  It's been awhile since I ordered from Penon last, so can't remember quite how slow they are.  I know for Ali orders, I'd typically receive my orders in around 10-14 days.

hope u get it soon. u can email them

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #10,864 of 75,871
My last Penon order shipped on the 8th of Sept. and tracked into the U.S. on the 17th and to me on the 22nd. I am in NY. Some tips and a Hi-Z 32 with free shipping.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #10,865 of 75,871
Think i am pretty close to the two earbuds that i want to rotate. TP16 and Red Demun, havent concluded just yet. But my Cygnus and RX1 are quivering in the corner.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #10,866 of 75,871

I'm on the opposite side of the fence, ordered from AE on Sept 19th not even shipped yet and no update just "Friend We will Ship" when I asked for an update. I get Penon stuff usually about 10 to 12 days from ordering in California.  

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #10,867 of 75,871
I just got my Monk+ after 2 months since ordering. Basically I've listened to them a couple of hours out of the box, I noticed that the thick donut foams that were in the expansion pack give me the best bass to isolation ratio. Not a fan of the new light full foams, they're kinda itchy and don't isolate too well, resulting in a loss of bass. Speaking of the expansion pack, I'm pretty disappointed by the silicone rings and especially on the earhook type rubber thingys, they're so small it's difficult to fit them on the monks, impossible to fit them on anything bigger; on top of that, there is no way to use the foams with the earhooks and the foams are mandatory to me.

I hoped to fit them to my Earbell E100 which tends to slip out easily but for now I didn't bother since they are so small I could barely fit them on the Monks. Then I listened to the sound quality and to me it's very similar to the first monk, I think there is slightly more detail, bass, and soundstage. The rest of the sound spectrum sounds nearly identical to me. Even the difference in detail, to me seems noticeable only in the most convoluted songs, I tested them with some japanese anime speedtrance that I am embarassed to like and everything sounds a liiiiittle less congested than on the regular monk. I'm pretty sure on the slightly stronger bass though.

You guys with more refined ears than mine, how would you describe the differences between Monk & Monk+? Also, does the Monk+ get affected by Burn-in? I don't think I ever noticed any difference with the older one.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #10,868 of 75,871
  ...Speaking of the expansion pack, I'm pretty disappointed by the silicone rings and especially on the earhook type rubber thingys, they're so small it's difficult to fit them on the monks, impossible to fit them on anything bigger; on top of that, there is no way to use the foams with the earhooks and the foams are mandatory to me...

It's a little tricky to get the earhooks on the bud but once installed they won't fall off. If they were easier to put on it would be easier for them to fall off. I think the earhooks are best for outdoor activities. They don't help with sound isolation to any significant degree, but keep the Monk in position. 

Over the weekend I plan on sacrificing a pair of foams to place over the earhooks. A small incision on the rim of the foam should allow the "shark tooth" to stick out from the foam.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #10,870 of 75,871
  I have also seen the hook stretched over the full thin foams but there were a couple of small tears and I couldn't see the benefit of having the foam to the inside of the earhook.

I wouldn't try it that way. The earhook is a tight fit as is and even if the diameter was increased slightly there will still be a ton of sound leakage.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #10,871 of 75,871

It's a little tricky to get the earhooks on the bud but once installed they won't fall off. If they were easier to put on it would be easier for them to fall off. I think the earhooks are best for outdoor activities. They don't help with sound isolation to any significant degree, but keep the Monk in position. 

Over the weekend I plan on sacrificing a pair of foams to place over the earhooks. A small incision on the rim of the foam should allow the "shark tooth" to stick out from the foam.

I know, I wanted to use them with the Baldoor E100 which don't fit properly into my ears. I will try to fiddle with them later today and see if I can get the E100 to fit better, because when they don't move out of place I really like the sound. The Monk already has 100% perfect fit with me so I have no need for the hooks, I bought the expansion pack mainly to get the hooks to get some use out of the E100, but I didn't expect them to be so small. Even the silicone rings are ridiculously small, but they should work alright with the RX1, since I've heard they are smaller than the Monk.

The Monk is just perfection, just stick some foams on them and they're good to go.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #10,872 of 75,871
I still have some burn in to do but out of the earbuds I have.  My recommendation for "budget earbuds" are
tp16 = awesome sound. a bit on the brighter side.  Great musicality, clarity, and sound stage.
Tmusic 2 = darker and possibly not as clear as tp16 but the bass impact balances it out.  Especially if you are willing to EQ.
RX1 = mid vocal bliss

I have been really impressed by the tp16 and Tmusic.  The RX1 is just a special case earbud for me.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #10,873 of 75,871

I was also under impression that you prefer classical. I believe it is somewhere in the thread. Can you please descibe what kind of music you listen to? That would be very helpful to know. And thank you for creating and updating the list! Any way you could do the short descriptions as you used to?

Im very sorry about this, clieos. I have read numerous other posts by other people in this thread at different times stating basically you only listen classical, however i've never heard from you directly about your musical preferences, only read other posts by people not yourself. I apologize as i did not know i was in error thinking this.

I listen to music one album at a time and like to shuffle some of them (with a mix of old and new albums) onto my DAP from time to time, then swap them out for a new group of albums. Here is the list of my current albums collection on my Sony A15 and it should give you some idea:

1989 - Taylor Swift
A Hundred Miles Or More Collection - Alison Krauss
Andre Riue: Romantic Paradise
Back Again... No Matter What - Boyzone
Back to Bedlam - James Blunt
Bad Self Portrait - Lake Street Dive
Believe II - Orianthi
Breathe In. Breathe Out - Hilary Duff
Cedar + Gold - Tristan Prettyman
Classics - She & Him
Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
Dance With My Father - Luther Vandross
Days Are Gone - Haim
Eyes To The Telescope - KT Tunstall
Forever In Love - The Best of Kenny G
Goodbye From California - Lindsey Ray
Greatest Hits - Jewels
Greatest Bits...So Far - Pink
Gypsy Heart - Colbie Caillat
Kaleidoscope Heart - Sara Bareilles
Keeps Gettin Better (A Decade of Hits) - Christina Aguilera
Labyrinth - 罗亿诗 (*Chinese Pop)
Lenka - Lenka
Lights Out - Ingrid Michaelson
Little Voice - Sara Bareilles
Longstrong - Christina Perri
New York City - The Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones
One Cell In The Sea - A Fine Frenzy
Open Your Ears - HDtracks
Paint My Love: Greatest Hits - Michael Learns to Rock
Pentatonix - Pentatonix
Romance - Olivia Ong (*Chinese+English Pop)
Roxette Hits - Roxette
Save Me, San Francisco - Train
Simply Love - Halie Loren
Smile.. It Confuses People - Sandi Thom
Strip Me - Natasha Bedingfield
Swing When You're Wining - Robbie Williams
Take Love Easy - Sophie Milman
Taking Dream - Echosmith
The Best of Nelly Furtado
The Best of Kitaro
The Best of Sixpence None The Ricker
The Bright Side - Lenka
The Ol' Razzle Dazzle - Missy Higgins
The Platinum Collection - Laura Branigan
The Very Best of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
The Is Acting - Sia
This Is It - Michael Jackson
Truly Madly Completely: The Best of Savage Garden
Tuskegee - Lionel Richie
Two - Lenka
Ultimate Santana
Under the Influence - Straight No Chaser
ピアノによる珠玉のアニメ映画主題歌集「いつも何度でも/もののけ姫」 - 奥户巴寿 (*movie soundtrack piano cover)
友缘共聚1~4 - 张学友 (*Chinese Pop)
大巴六九 - 黄美珍 (*Chinese Pop)
李宗盛的音樂旅程-不捨 (*Chinese Pop)
梁弘志- 爱与歌纪念专辑 (*Chinese Pop)
越難越愛Love Collection - 吳若希 (*Chinese Pop)
隽永作品辑 -  周治平 (*Chinese Pop)
漂洋过海来看你 精选集 - 娃娃 (*Chinese Pop)

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #10,875 of 75,871
I still have some burn in to do but out of the earbuds I have.  My recommendation for "budget earbuds" are
tp16 = awesome sound. a bit on the brighter side.  Great musicality, clarity, and sound stage.
Tmusic 2 = darker and possibly not as clear as tp16 but the bass impact balances it out.  Especially if you are willing to EQ.
RX1 = mid vocal bliss

I have been really impressed by the tp16 and Tmusic.  The RX1 is just a special case earbud for me.

Did you have one of the 1st version t-musics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back