Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 20, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #4,096 of 75,442

Maybe its kinda late. but finally get my hand on both Ostry KC08 and Creative Aurvana Air. 

I'll first talk about aurvana Air since they are so easily loved. airy sound. on the warmer side. amazing vocals. very good details. IMO sounds so smooth and refined. bass impact and quality also very good. overall i really like them. IMO probably the best vocal presentation i've ever heard. (even more than tomahawk, and yes i've been praising tomahawk a lot). I think they're goin to be my daily driver. 

KC08. I personally prefer a slightly warm sound. lush velvety mids. so when i listened to KC08 : DRY. again DRY. I first listened to the air, then goes to KC08, so when i goes back to KC08 they felt so cold and dry. If not because I paid for a pretty hefty sum for them i probably would just put them back on my compartment box :p. Since they're pretty pricey I decided to force my self to listen to them. changing the tracks here and there. The Lows.. that bass.. IMO are the one of the best if not the best i've ever heard from earbuds. Yes even more then Zen V1. goes so deep. hits hard and controlled. amazing texture. also the highs. amazing,, sparkly, for my ears almost but no sibilance (and i own TH600, for me they sounds sibilance). highs also extended very well. 

Listened to KC08 for a while and they sound, just great. if not for my preferences for slightly warm sounding earphones they easily become my favorites. sounds so clean, amazing details. no real roll off on every directions. I feel like KC08 needs more love :p.

Edit:

Tried replace the original ostry foam with donut foam (MrZ's) = mids changed, not as dry. Now they sings. not as cold, still not warm. but better. Clearly V-shaped. 

The tried replace with full foams (again MrZ's) = do the magic. its not the velvety, lush engaging vocals. but clearly much better (for my preference) compared to the very dry mids when using the original foam, sounds less airy than the original foam though.

Last i tried using BOE's donut (i always feels they are slighlty thinner on material - slightly bigger opening compared to mrz's and ve's). still V-shaped, vocals not as recessed as mrz's donut though. retains the airiness.

so i'm currently pondering between full foams and BOE's donut. 

So IMO KC08 with original foam - yes the mids very dry. if not for the exceptional bass and highs (also the high price) i won;t even bother listened to them. but playing around with the foam improves it a lot. it won't be warm/lush/intimate vocals. But improves them a lot. coming from TH600 (yes the have recessed mids) I personally can live with it. 

oh also my KC08 is secondhand unit with atleast 100 h usage time. aurvana is brand new.

my setup : calyx m - woo wa 7 - earbuds 

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #4,097 of 75,442
Have to get some different types of foams to hear more differences of the KC08s.

Using and currently sticking with the "fancy" foams, the sub-bass is actually more present and the mids are slightly more transparent than dry to my ears, while missing out the tightness of the mid bass that was from the original foams. Wonder what will other earbuds sounds like if they are put with the "fancy" foams?

Like in-ears with eartips, it seems that different foams definitely and obviously varies the sound(s) of one particular pair earbuds as well. And that is the fun of this hobby: it's not only all about the stuff that you have, it's also about what kinds of experiments you mess with those stuff as well.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #4,098 of 75,442
Have to get some different types of foams to hear more differences of the KC08s.

Using and currently sticking with the "fancy" foams, the sub-bass is actually more present and the mids are slightly more transparent than dry to my ears, while missing out the tightness of the mid bass that was from the original foams. Wonder what will other earbuds sounds like if they are put with the "fancy" foams?

Like in-ears with eartips, it seems that different foams definitely and obviously varies the sound(s) of one particular pair earbuds as well.

true. for me the fancy foams doesn't suit my taste. play around with various foam on my storage, and currently I love how they sound. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #4,099 of 75,442
true. for me the fancy foams doesn't suit my taste. play around with various foam on my storage, and currently I love how they sound. 

Yea can see how repelling the KC08 (even with the fancy foams) are to most, but for me and I am sure most wouldn't agree as well, it was worth the 599 yuen and I do realise that it was really steep for a pair of earbuds.

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #4,102 of 75,442
Mojito made it finally!

A bit bright but incredibly fun to listen to... amazing bass extension and depth. If it fit better (like the Cygnus) it'd be too good to be true. The fit is the main issue with these but when you get them seated right they're immensely rewarding.

So much depth and soundstage and the sound goes so deep... finding myself listening to all sorts of stuff i don't even like a ton because I love how much fun it is listening to these. That's the sign of a winner.

The bad.... the fit sucks unless you have big ears (even if the fit is awkward for you, they're big enough you can get used to how to put em in right). Can be a bit bright... it's a bit bright for me, but I keep listening to them, partially because the bass depth rocks! Also the paint was scuffed on both the earbuds near the 2 pin plugs. :frowning2:

Such good bass impact for an earbud though! I'm shocked, I'm excited to see how the zen is compared to this if the Zen is supposed to be the earbud bass king :O

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #4,103 of 75,442
  Thanks for posting your thoughts. I'm still curious about the Aurvana Air. if you ranked all your earbuds, how would you rate them? I keep almost buying the Aurvana Air but don't...

This is all only my opinion:

1. Ostry KC08
2. Zen V1
3. Tomahawk / Aurvana Air
4. BOE
5. Monk

Its kind of hard for me to choose between tomahawk or air. 
The air ergonomics is better imo. sounded more airy and smoother. I feels vocals sounds better on air. but they do roll off on the treble department. and they are on the warm side.

Tomahawk is more balanced (is this the right word?) through out the frequencies. slightly harsher, more energetic. 

I use tomahawk since they used to be my daily driver. 
again this is all just my opinion.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #4,104 of 75,442
I think I've finally started to figure out how to put the Mojito in my ears properly, haha. They're pretty amazing. No arguments here that they're TOTL.

I'll post more detailed thoughts or answer any questions about them, but I am pretty much in agreement with @ClieOS suggestion that they're very much like Etymotics in earbud form. The main difference though is Etys are pretty bass light, and these (when worn properly) have killer bass extension, refinement and depth.

I'm going to mess with the Aurisonics 2 pin cables as those have the memory wire which might be good for keeping these in a position where they can really pound bass.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #4,105 of 75,442
I think I've finally started to figure out how to put the Mojito in my ears properly, haha. They're pretty amazing. No arguments here that they're TOTL.

I'll post more detailed thoughts or answer any questions about them, but I am pretty much in agreement with @ClieOS
suggestion that they're very much like Etymotics in earbud form. The main difference though is Etys are pretty bass light, and these (when worn properly) have killer bass extension, refinement and depth.

I'm going to mess with the Aurisonics 2 pin cables as those have the memory wire which might be good for keeping these in a position where they can really pound bass.
you try earhoox?

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #4,107 of 75,442
So I am writing a massive comprehensive list of earbud rankings very similar to ClieOS's rankings, and I just took my Blox earbuds out after months of basically forgetting about them. I am astounded by how great they still sound compared to the new earbuds. They are simply phenomenal and let's just say that in terms of soundstage they are as good as the Zen, I'll release my list after I'm done listening to all of my earbuds in my collection and waiting for the Monk+ to arrive to add them in the rankings. But I wanted to ask here, does anyone here have the higher end blox models in their position still (I mean the high end ones such as BE7/BE5 and Anv3/TM7 not BE3/M2C)? Because they compete very, very well with the VE products and high end stuff even to this day. I think the reason that they are no longer talked about anymore is because no one has them anymore and can't purchase them anymore. Expect to see Blox models still do well in my rankings. 
o2smile.gif

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #4,108 of 75,442
  So I am writing a massive comprehensive list of earbud rankings very similar to ClieOS's rankings, and I just took my Blox earbuds out after months of basically forgetting about them. I am astounded by how great they still sound compared to the new earbuds. They are simply phenomenal and let's just say that in terms of soundstage they are as good as the Zen, I'll release my list after I'm done listening to all of my earbuds in my collection and waiting for the Monk+ to arrive to add them in the rankings. But I wanted to ask here, does anyone here have the higher end blox models in their position still (I mean the high end ones such as BE7/BE5 and Anv3/TM7 not BE3/M2C)? Because they compete very, very well with the VE products and high end stuff even to this day. I think the reason that they are no longer talked about anymore is because no one has them anymore and can't purchase them anymore. Expect to see Blox models still do well in my rankings. 
o2smile.gif

Looking forward to the list mate! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back