Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 1, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #2,132 of 75,217
I really should break down and pick up a Mojo...  As silly as it sounds, I know my first listen will be with the Monk

Not silly. My friend has listened the Monk through Mojo and he said it was a wonderful pairing. :wink:

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #2,133 of 75,217
I ordered the Zen v2 and will use them at work with my mojo. I have heard the Zen can benefit from around 200+ hours of burn in?

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #2,134 of 75,217
I ordered the Zen v2 and will use them at work with my mojo. I have heard the Zen can benefit from around 200+ hours of burn in?

I have ordered the v2 as well. Looking forward to listening to them with the Mojo / android phone and Tera player too

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #2,136 of 75,217

I have ordered the v2 as well. Looking forward to listening to them with the Mojo / android phone and Tera player too

I also ordered VE Zen 2.0 Wow it's quite famous among Mojo owners :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,137 of 75,217
Today I received the Tomahawk earbuds that I ordered 2 weeks ago.

Out of the box they sound pretty good. They have a nice airy quality with good detail. In the ad they are compared to Sony MDR-E282 and Sennheiser MX985. I've got a pair of E282 and have compared them. I would say that the balance between lows, mids and highs as well as the soundstage is pretty similar. But the E282 have got much more "dry" sounding mids overall. The Tomahawks have also got more "sparkle" in the highs. A bit more like the VE Monks. Perhaps the Tomahawks could be described as a sort of cross between the Sony MDR-E282 and the VE Monk?

Build quality is good. The jack is made from metal. The housing seems to also be made from metal as it is a bit compact/heavy. The front grill is plastic. It's the same one as used in earbuds that uses Sennheiser MX400-housings, for example Blox earbuds. The cable feels like it's of good quality. It has got as slightly rubbery feel to it.

Right now you can buy the Tomahawk from Easy earphones on Aliexpress for $49.50. You can get a $1 discount and a $2 coupon which puts the total price at $46.50 with (free registered) shipping included. Definitely recommended.

The earbud case that was included:

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,138 of 75,217
  Today I received the Tomahawk earbuds that I ordered 2 weeks ago.

Out of the box they sound pretty good. They have a nice airy quality with good detail. In the ad they are compared to Sony MDR-E282 and Sennheiser MX985. I've got a pair of E282 and have compared them. I would say that the balance between lows, mids and highs as well as the soundstage is pretty similar. But the E282 have got much more "dry" sounding mids overall. The Tomahawks have also got more "sparkle" in the highs. A bit more like the VE Monks. Perhaps the Tomahawks could be described as a sort of cross between the Sony MDR-E282 and the VE Monk?

Build quality is good. The jack is made from metal. The housing seems to also be made from metal as it is a bit compact/heavy. The front grill is plastic. It's the same one as used in earbuds that uses Sennheiser MX400-housings, for example Blox earbuds. The cable feels like it's of good quality. It has got as slightly rubbery feel to it.

Right now you can buy the Tomahawk from Easy earphones on Aliexpress for $49.50. You can get a $1 discount and a $2 coupon which puts the total price at $46.50 with (free registered) shipping included. Definitely recommended.

The earbud case that was included:

Thanks for the thoughts. Been waiting patiently for your review (well, not that patient, as I went ahead and ordered them anyway).

How do they compare to Sennheiser MX980 and Zen 2.0?

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #2,140 of 75,217

Thanks for the thoughts. Been waiting patiently for your review (well, not that patient, as I went ahead and ordered them anyway).

How do they compare to Sennheiser MX980 and Zen 2.0?

I did compare them, however not very thoroughly, with some of my other earbuds, MX980 and Zen 2.0 included.

First, I have to say that bass is deeper and hits harder on both MX980 and especially Zen 2.0. The Tomahawks have less bass impact. But they are still quite balanced and bass is not at all lean.

Perhaps the MX980 and Zen 2.0 are closer to a "headphone sound" with their stronger bass impact, but the Tomahawks are still very good sounding with a pretty wide and deep soundstage and good detail and instrument separation. I have too many earbuds nowadays and too little time to bother ranking them, but considering build and sound quality, these should belong in my top 10 (the Blox TM7 are still no 1 in overall performance, the Celsus Gramo One being no 1 if I look at neutrality in sound and detail/instrument separation).

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #2,145 of 75,217
  Thanks for that. I guess for the money you can't expect them to equal the heavy hitters. Shame the Blox is no longer available.

But if you want heavy hitting bass, you should go for IEMs. I'm listening to the Tomahawks now on my (vintage) Cowon X5 and bass is by no means weak. It is where you want and need it to be. But it's not the subwoofer like bass as the Zen 2.0 and Blox TM7 have. I you feel that bass is lacking, you should be able to boost it a bit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back