maybe tried some new?
wink.gif

15253461_207803502961890_6261282819945590031_n.jpg

shipped on Dec 6th
I focus on BLOX and Heavenly Sounds.
Old Japanese earphone (NEC, Sharp etc).
I almost hear J-pop.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #14,885 of 75,563
Anyone Heard / Test the HIFIMAN ES100 ? Is it any good?

What would you guys recommend / top pick for under $100.

It's pretty good but not overwhelming. Actually for me it was the other way around. Not bad in any way but still slightly underwhelming.

If you order from something like Ali express either Music maker/Toneking Ting or Shozy Cygnus would be better.

If you can find them for under $100 with shipping included either Edimun V3 (Bengkel Macro) or Red De'mun (De'mun), both earbuds from small Indonesian audio companies, might be good options...

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #14,887 of 75,563
Stardust vs Cax Black vs Zen V2.0 black?
I use Tera Player with 10 ohm output.M onk+ are 64 ohm and sound good but have a small soundstage.

So do you want a sound like Monk+ but with better soundstage?

You're gonna be waiting a reaaally long time to wait for an impression of those 3 buds against each other, lol. I don't know anyone on this site who has more than one of those at a time. Danneq might be the first to have CAX and Stardust but he doesn't like the Zen 2.

Also I think if anyone here had a Tera Player they would help you out by now, but it's not gonna be easy finding others with a 3000-euro DAP here either...

Anyone Heard / Test the HIFIMAN ES100 ? Is it any good?

What would you guys recommend / top pick for under $100.

Very accurate neutral and detailed. Not for fans of deep or strong bass. nonexistant under about 80hz. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #14,888 of 75,563
Stardust vs Cax Black vs Zen V2.0 black?
I use Tera Player with 10 ohm output.M onk+ are 64 ohm and sound good but have a small soundstage.

Stardust (16 ohm I think) and CAX black (32 ohm I think) do not require an amp. Zen 2 black (320 ohm) does...

I won't buy Stardust until January but from what I have read and how ClieOS ranked it, Stardust is probably a competitor to CampFred and not CAX black. For me CampFred beats all other TOTL earbuds, even my old favorite Blox TM7 (barely, but still CampFred beats it).
CAX black is on another level and cannot even be compared to stuff like CampFred, Blox TM7, Sennheiser MX985 or Zen 1. The others sound like $5 earbuds in comparison...

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #14,891 of 75,563
Reporting in on 1More EO320 after 1 day burn-in. A more capable RX-1 as some have said here. Less mid-centric, a bit more top-end and quite a lot more low-end than RX-1. Slight V to the FR, but mostly quite well represented across the spectrum. It's only a day's burn-in and already it sounds like it's reaching mid-bass & early upper-treble quite nicely. Treble is a little grainy but I think should open up with some more play time. Overall, a good all-round earbud.

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #14,892 of 75,563
Some K's 500 impressions

Well, I like the plug and the cable is very good. 
wink.gif

But it has the same microphonics as K's 64 when you move the cable near the shells, not a serious matter for me.

About the sound, it sounds balanced, less warm and less forward than TY HP-400s.
They both require an amp to shine. Mine is just enough to make them sound very good, around 5.5 Vrms theorically. There's still a lot of room for improvement.
The other day I tried the 400s on iDSD Black Label, 8 to 10 Vrms on specs, it was like heaven on soundstage and refinement.
So I guess K's 500 would sound even better on a powerhouse but I'll have to wait a couple of weeks.
Otherwise, with less power, it may sound narrow, with a too forward bass, distant midrange and sibilant highs. When well-powered, I don't have these flaws.

Bass is deeeeep, detailed, tight, clean, it roars like an V8 engine, whereas TY 400s is more on (too much) enveloping mid-bass and impact. I have to say on K's 500, it may sound too deep and powering on some tracks 
biggrin.gif

Midrange sounds detailed and full as TY but more forward and warm on TY. Both have beautiful midrange.

Highs are airy, very well extended and no noticeable sibilance. 400s is smoother.

Presentation is less forward than on TY, we have here a very wide but still immersive soundstage and very good resolution, instrument separation.

Overall, K's 500 sounds detailed, balanced, very slightly warm, wide, immersive, well extended, bodied. No lacking, no big coloration.
I'd say these are my favorite earbuds at the moment for home use. It would be more fair to compare these with TY HP650 coming next week and with more power.

I like the cleanness, immersion, refinement of high impedance earbuds that I haven't found on low impedance amped earbuds so far.
Maybe I simply haven't bought the good ones 
tongue.gif
 -----> CAX, Stardust, Blox, Crow, Demun, Edimun, HS but Rose earbuds may be not for me  
And there are many other high impedance earbuds, not even speaking of the ones that we are expecting and not released yet...

OMG that's a lot of money! End game is an endless game that we all like to play here.
beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #14,895 of 75,563

Users who are viewing this thread

Back