Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 3, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #14,852 of 75,401
  I'm new to this site and forum. I'm looking for earbuds that actually have some low end, and sound great throughout the frequency spectrum. I'd be plugging directly into a macbook pro without an amp. Also looking for something I can buy here in the US. I've read through most of these posts and it seems that most of these earbuds must be ordered from Asia. Don't want to wait that long!
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

If you like deep bass and decent highs/mids then a good place to start is the Qian39 at about $6. Really, it's very good, but only available from Asia, I think:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-QianYun-Qian39-Hifi-In-Ear-Earphone-3-5MM-High-Qaulity-Flat-Head-Earbuds-In/32750815405.html

Order them now and they will be a nice surprise when they turn up (mine took 2 weeks to the UK) whatever else you buy in the meantime.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #14,854 of 75,401
Dec 3, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #14,861 of 75,401
Sheesh, all I can say is, I got a lot a readin' ta do! I've been through several hundred of the posts in this thread, and jumped around a few times to see what newer posts had to say, and I'm just as clueless as I was. I think  just need to order some of these buds and start experimenting.
Thank for the recommendations for the qian39 Willber and vapman, and the Rose Masya Saoshyant, will read some more reviews on these.

Dec 3, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #14,862 of 75,401
Cygnus is mid centric and has very shallow bass depth compared to many others. Source won't change that.
enough for Cygnus
15369063_1233860873375056_5285626526010181875_o.jpg

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #14,863 of 75,401
  I don't know 1AB but most Sony I know have more natural sound than most earbuds, Monk aside. Most Sony earbuds I know don't have a mid high peak, it's actually a bit pulled back to not cause sibilance... but the SHE3800 is kind of  a sibilant/hissy bud too.

Tier 1 and even 2 and 3 make the SHE 3800 sound like trash from the garbage.

Which are top Tier 1/2 in your opinion? 
Keep in mind that Tier 1 should mean "the whole package", not something like: "yes, it has the best mids/highs I've ever heard on a headphone, but it is bass light". It has to have everything. So, IMHO, if is bass light, then it shouldn't be no.1 no matter how good the mids/highs are. If it has harsh highs or too much mids, again, not no.1.

For example, SHE3800 deliver enough bass impact to compensate the fact that they do not seal like in-ear, or over-ear headphones. You're outside walking, and you can still feel that impact. They won't hit like a sealed over-ear, but you don't feel the need for it to do that.They do not have enhanced highs, not recessed mids. This should be the definition of balanced. 
Yes, on some rock music i could say that SHE3800 doesn't sound detailed enough/a bit muddy/not enough highs.But I'll take this trade-off against having to endure that piercing sound of Mrice E100.

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #14,864 of 75,401

Which are top Tier 1/2 in your opinion? 
Keep in mind that Tier 1 should mean "the whole package", not something like: "yes, it has the best mids/highs I've ever heard on a headphone, but it is bass light". It has to have everything. So, IMHO, if is bass light, then it shouldn't be no.1 no matter how good the mids/highs are. If it has harsh highs or too much mids, again, not no.1.

For example, SHE3800 deliver enough bass impact to compensate the fact that they do not seal like in-ear, or over-ear headphones. You're outside walking, and you can still feel that impact. They won't hit like a sealed over-ear, but you don't feel the need for it to do that.They do not have enhanced highs, not recessed mids. This should be the definition of balanced. 
Yes, on some rock music i could say that SHE3800 doesn't sound detailed enough/a bit muddy/not enough highs.But I'll take this trade-off against having to endure that piercing sound of Mrice E100.

Hmmmmmm

Tier 1 for me is probably Asura 2 & Zen 2. Strangely enough I didn't like Asura 2 to keep my very first set. I bought and sold it twice before sticking with the set I have and realizing it is better than most. Edimun V3, Red Demun, TY 650 can all be tier 1 as well, but they all have very different sound signatures from one another.

Tier 2 is stuff like Qian39, Qian25, Sony E808+, even Monk. The main separation between tier 1 and 2 in my opinion is that Tier 1 buds I listed are either master of all or master of some, but great with anything. The Tier 2 can show their weaknesses a little more prominently but that should be expected at a sub $10 price point of each one!

I'm still waiting for some high end stuff to arrive in the mail.

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #14,865 of 75,401
Finding a perfectly balanced earbud that at the same time is TOTL can be quite difficult.an earbud that excels in soundstage can lack in bass (Aiwa HP D9) or lean too much toward brightness (Rose Mojito). Highs can be rolled off (Zen 2) or bass almost too slamming (Zen 1).

I can enjoy cheap earbuds like Monk+ much more than TOTL earbuds that are too bright or too bassy.

My favorite earbud maker for a long time has been Blox. The Blox sound Is very smooth and the higher end ones such as TM7 and Anv3 have also been very detailed. Cypherus is my new favorite with amazingly analogue sounding earbuds that have great detail without having the least tendency toward brightness, great bass without drowning everything in bass. I'm not too crazy about mid centric earbuds in general, but I still love QFred.

Different people have different preferences so either you follow this thread and identify those with a similar tastes as you or you try just about everything to find what you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back