Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #75,092 of 75,267
Hi new poster here. I’ve don’t a bit of back reading, but figured I’d just fire a few questions. I’m mostly an IEM listener. However, I recently snagged a set of Moondrop Chaconnes and well, into the flathead rabbit hole I go. What would be a few good side grades that I could consider/research? I was looking at TGXs stuff…as a fellow Canadian, that will be a must. Any other current great brands/ models to read up on?

Apr 20, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #75,093 of 75,267
The recent comparison I did of the Nobunaga Uguisu (aka Nightingale) vs other earbuds prompted me to see if an excellent DIY "Nightingale" earbud could be built.

I think I've succeeded in that quest, so I present to you my "Artiste" earbuds which I'm sharing with my fellow earbud fiends here as another Drag-n-Drop build.

Artiste.jpg

If you're new to DIY earbuds building / soldering, please click the "Soldering for Earbuds 101 - A Practical Approach" link in my signature. It's easy to build these buds and for the time spent you'll have an excellent sounding set of "Artiste" Nightingale earbuds. These buds have excellent tonality and absolutely no spike in the ear gain region. Also don't be fooled by the bass region in the FR graph, these buds have very good bass. BTW, the FR was measured with HieGi full foams applied to the earbuds and IMO they sound best with those foams.

Build notes: The shells come with black horseshoe tuning foams. You will apply them to the inside of the shell covering the back vents. Here's the important part, the vent closest to the MMCX connector is where you'll start and end applying the foam, leave a small uncovered gap (1mm) at that vent. When snapping on the speaker cover to the shell, be sure to put the voicecoil upwards (opposite the MMCX connector).

Enjoy and if you do build a set of these Artiste buds please share your impressions. I think you will be impressed.

Build materials:
15.4mm MMCX Open Back Flat Earphones Shell (4 colors)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805988389365.html

68Ω Graphene driver
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805165081080.html

RY-C5 Silver plated 8 core (2.5mmBal, 3.5mmSE, 4.4mmBal)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2255800618505046.html

Silver MMCX 68 Ohm Graphene.jpg
Put the shell next to a strong light (phone flashlight or a light bulb) and see from several angles if the HS blocks the vents.
Probably not and that's why you like 68ohm which is a driver from the bright side (someone call it Chaconne Killer)🙃 20240206_221550.jpg

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #75,094 of 75,267
Sounds like a lot of awesomeness in a small package.. :) Very interesting stuff there. I'm very surprised that because it is known as a mids/vocal driver that there really isn't any offensive presence region boost. Nice!

Now, if you can hear the phone ring (about 1:42) in Led Zeppelin's The Ocean (Houses of The Holy 1973) then you have pretty decent micro detailing. Better yet, if you can hear the squeaky drum pedal (throughout a lot of their music, but this song the whole thing), then I would suggest you not only have good micro detailing and micro dymanics for the head gear, but you would also have to have at least a decent source/chain as well. :) I never heard those things until I started getting into high end audio many years ago (which is why I suppose they never edited those noises out; you probably couldn't hear it in equipment from back then). :)
I can't hear any phone ringing, maybe because I'm listening to a remastered version(?), equipment or more likely my hearing. Either way "The Ocean" sounds excellent.

Put the shell next to a strong light (phone flashlight or a light bulb) and see from several angles if the HS blocks the vents.
Probably not and that's why you like 68ohm which is a driver from the bright side (someone call it Chaconne Killer)🙃20240206_221550.jpg
Thanks for the tip, but the build is exactly as planned. The buds do have nice midrange focus, but not overly bright. All I know is that they sound great.

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #75,095 of 75,267
I can't hear any phone ringing, maybe because I'm listening to a remastered version(?), equipment or more likely my hearing. Either way "The Ocean" sounds excellent.
It DOES sound great indeed. Nope, it is there to hear even in the remastered version (just listened to it on Amazon Music 24/96)... :) Try it again with different equipment/head gear. Do you at least hear the squeaking bass pedal???

Amazon share (if you have Amazon Music HD):
https://music.amazon.com/albums/B073JDKZXN?trackAsin=B073RY3L7R&ref=dm_sh_5d9b-96a7-4243-3e03-de045

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #75,096 of 75,267
Hi new poster here. I’ve don’t a bit of back reading, but figured I’d just fire a few questions. I’m mostly an IEM listener. However, I recently snagged a set of Moondrop Chaconnes and well, into the flathead rabbit hole I go. What would be a few good side grades that I could consider/research? I was looking at TGXs stuff…as a fellow Canadian, that will be a must. Any other current great brands/ models to read up on?
Welcome to the earbuds thread, and Head-Fi as well. :)

Also, congrats on your new shiny! :)

Coming from IEMs, and also because there are others that might like to hear your thoughts on the Chaconne, can you give some impressions of them (good or bad, or both)?! But also, it would help to know your thoughts so that recommendations can be rendered more accurately. Also, you might share your budget, what type of shell you are looking for (if you know; some fit some people better than others), what type of audio you listen to, and even what your main source will be (some recommendations might not work well if you have a low powered device, for instance). I am not really concerned about giving you a recommendation that might be just like the Chaconne because there really isn't anything too much like them, and for the type of sound they reproduce, they are TOTL (IMHO), and nothing (or VERY few) can do those things better.

Would you mind me asking what made you get some flathead earbuds to begin with?

P.S. I cannot answer any questions about the TGX gear (or any other DIY for sale), as I have not heard any of them, sadly. But, from all that I have read, there are a number of sets that are (potentially) worth investing into.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #75,097 of 75,267
Rikubuds, LREY, Cypherus. These are all DIYers and all pretty well reviewed. Yincrow is probably not a DIYer but a much loved earbud company.

Also, pro tip: there are often sets listed in the classified here and also on Discord channels. Can DM me if you want invites to various earbud dedicated channels.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #75,098 of 75,267
It DOES sound great indeed. Nope, it is there to hear even in the remastered version (just listened to it on Amazon Music 24/96)... :) Try it again with different equipment/head gear. Do you at least hear the squeaking bass pedal???

https://music.amazon.com/albums/B073JDKZXN?trackAsin=B073RY3L7R&ref=dm_sh_5d9b-96a7-4243-3e03-de045
Hi. The phone ring is around 1:53, at least on the Tidal version. I can hear it with my custom 130 ohm Beryllium and 400 ohm graphene , with hiby R5 Saber. But honestly, i would not notice it, if i would not listen carefuly and wouldnt know, what to listen. But the ringing is there.

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #75,099 of 75,267

I've listened to The Ocean several times and I can't hear it. It's definitely not from lack of high end gear, it's probably due to a combination of age related high frequency hearing loss and some hearing damage (repeated exposure to gun fire) when I was younger in the service of our country.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #75,100 of 75,267
I've listened to The Ocean several times and I can't hear it. It's definitely not from lack of high end gear, it's probably due to a combination of age related high frequency hearing loss and some hearing damage (repeated exposure to gun fire) when I was younger in the service of our country.
Sorry to hear that, but thank you for your service nonetheless... :) And, no I agree, and I don't think it is from lack of high-end gear at all.

If it were higher in the spectrum, I would not hear it myself because I also suffer from age related (and WAY too many concerts when young) hearing loss. I have tested using an online tone generator, and have come to the conclusion that starting at about 10KHz the volume starts getting lower (almost linearly), and by the time it reaches 13KHz, I can hear nothing past that... This is at least with any of the current gear that I have tested it with. It might be that with the right gear those numbers could change to be higher or lower depending on the capabilities of the set (and source) that I am using for the test.

Hi. The phone ring is around 1:53, at least on the Tidal version. I can hear it with my custom 130 ohm Beryllium and 400 ohm graphene , with hiby R5 Saber. But honestly, i would not notice it, if i would not listen carefuly and wouldnt know, what to listen. But the ringing is there.
That is interesting that it starts at 1:53 for the Tidal version. Does Tidal insert some silence at the beginning of the track or something like that?

Yeah, it ranges on how easy/hard it is to hear depending on the head gear (and source) I listen to it with, from "can't hear it" to "wow that is pretty loud". Detail monsters like the HD800S will make it pretty obvious to my ears. Also, the bass pedal squeak is the same, though it is never quite as obvious. It is probably because 1) the squeak is quieter and 2) it is not as much of a contrasting sound in the mix.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #75,101 of 75,267

Coming from IEMs, and also because there are others that might like to hear your thoughts on the Chaconne, can you give some impressions of them (good or bad, or both)?! But also, it would help to know your thoughts so that recommendations can be rendered more accurately. Also, you might share your budget, what type of shell you are looking for (if you know; some fit some people better than others), what type of audio you listen to, and even what your main source will be (some recommendations might not work well if you have a low powered device, for instance). I am not really concerned about giving you a recommendation that might be just like the Chaconne because there really isn't anything too much like them, and for the type of sound they reproduce, they are TOTL (IMHO), and nothing (or VERY few) can do those things better.

P.S. I cannot answer any questions about the TGX gear (or any other DIY for sale), as I have not heard any of them, sadly. But, from all that I have read, there are a number of sets that are (potentially) worth investing into.
Hi! Well met. So first my gear - I have a

Hi, well met and thanks for such a warm welcome. In order to respond, I think a bit of a gear list first and then a brief summary of my musical preferences. I have pretty much enough power/quality to drive most anything. I have a SMSL HO200 amp, with D200 Mk2 dac in my office. It currently runs my Hifiman Aryas V2 (well and they get time on my main stereo... but not really something I would use IEM/flatheads with). As for portable, I have a ifi Gryphon, a FiiO KA17, a Cayin RU7, Hiby FC6, and for a smaller Bluetooth footprint, the BTR7. I have a few other dongle dacs that i stack with a Topping NX7 to remove the noise floor, but my main are the noted.

For IEMs, my current fav is the MEGA 5EST, but I rotate through my others frequently - They include Xenns Tops, Dunu SA6 MK2, Kinera Nan'Na 2s, Monarch MK2, and Hype 2s. I am on a hunt for a pair of Oriolus Isabellae and a few others... but that is for another thread.

Why did I pick up the Chaconnes? Mostly out of curiosity and my love of hearing my music from different sources. I found they their sound graph fit my tastes and play quite well quite well with the extra power the HO200 can throw at it (I also have an unused Topping L/E30 that I will set up next to my fav chair to try out too). I definitely get a bit more low end, the upper is more expansive and energetic using desktop stuff. That being said, they do quite well when the KA17 is in desktop mode, or I play them from the Gryphon. Why Flatheads - Something different? I like the fact that i can discretely listen to them, but still hear what is going around. Based on my experience with the Moondrops, the detail and soundstage is impressive too. However, I would say the primary reason is to give my ear canals a break from time to time. I have put a considerable amount of effort curating my portable gear collection, but they can leave my ears sore from time to time. Especially when I take them to work and log 4 plus hours etc.

Lastly Music - I have extremely eclectic tastes. However, my 'brain candy' of late would have to be female vocal/acoustic. (I love me some Joy Williams, Civil Wars, London Grammar to give an idea). This is likely driven by my gear selection, but it seems to be the playlists i cue up first when I have time to listen. I also listen to quite a bit of synthpop, EDM, and various genres of rock/metal (bands like, Muse Tool, System of the Down, AC/DC, Disturbed) . I have a large classical vinyl collection... however, that is usually listened to via the Aryas or my speaker (ESS AMTs) on my main stereo system. IMO, nothing beats a few fantastic pressings and a nice glass or two of rum... I do have quite a bit of classical digital too, but I usually prefer the distortion and character my main system gives.

I pulled the trigger on one of those red Serratus, they seem interesting. However, I am curious if there are some more balanced flatheads that may produce a bit more base (I am not one that needs a lot of base, but a touch more than the Moondrops would be interesting for some of my other playlists).

Hopefully this is enough to provide a bit of a background in order to provide some good recommendations. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #75,102 of 75,267
Rikubuds, Yincrow, LREY. These are all DIYers and all pretty well reviewed

Also, pro tip: there are often sets listed in the classified here and also on Discord channels. Can DM me if you want invites to various earbud dedicated channels.
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the first two brands, but the last one not so much. Which models of the first two would you suggest?

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to be added to any other dedicated channels. I am always up to learn more from others and share my experiences.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #75,103 of 75,267
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the first two brands, but the last one not so much. Which models of the first two would you suggest?

Thanks for the offer, I'd love to be added to any other dedicated channels. I am always up to learn more from others and share my experiences.
Great to have newcomers! Here's an invite to the Flathead Sanctuary:
https://discord.com/invite/cnY6Wyws

Gizaudio has a pretty active flathead channel as well: https://discord.com/invite/BE4hrEyt

This is Riku's one: https://discord.com/invite/aN8VX2U9

I can't invite people to @AWSMDanny server, but there are some flatters there too.

As for bud recommendations: you have an eclectic taste in music, so perhaps an all-rounder would be best. Serratus has surprising amount of subbass (for earbuds), especially if you power them properly. I think you'll like them. For more bass, you can either ask TGXEAR on headfi or Instagram for recommendations - many of us can vouch for Jim's authenticity when he gives recommendations, or ask Riku, whose house signature is bassier than Jim's.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #75,104 of 75,267
Hi! Well met. So first my gear - I have a

Hi, well met and thanks for such a warm welcome. In order to respond, I think a bit of a gear list first and then a brief summary of my musical preferences. I have pretty much enough power/quality to drive most anything. I have a SMSL HO200 amp, with D200 Mk2 dac in my office. It currently runs my Hifiman Aryas V2 (well and they get time on my main stereo... but not really something I would use IEM/flatheads with). As for portable, I have a ifi Gryphon, a FiiO KA17, a Cayin RU7, Hiby FC6, and for a smaller Bluetooth footprint, the BTR7. I have a few other dongle dacs that i stack with a Topping NX7 to remove the noise floor, but my main are the noted.

For IEMs, my current fav is the MEGA 5EST, but I rotate through my others frequently - They include Xenns Tops, Dunu SA6 MK2, Kinera Nan'Na 2s, Monarch MK2, and Hype 2s. I am on a hunt for a pair of Oriolus Isabellae and a few others... but that is for another thread.

Why did I pick up the Chaconnes? Mostly out of curiosity and my love of hearing my music from different sources. I found they their sound graph fit my tastes and play quite well quite well with the extra power the HO200 can throw at it (I also have an unused Topping L/E30 that I will set up next to my fav chair to try out too). I definitely get a bit more low end, the upper is more expansive and energetic using desktop stuff. That being said, they do quite well when the KA17 is in desktop mode, or I play them from the Gryphon. Why Flatheads - Something different? I like the fact that i can discretely listen to them, but still hear what is going around. Based on my experience with the Moondrops, the detail and soundstage is impressive too. However, I would say the primary reason is to give my ear canals a break from time to time. I have put a considerable amount of effort curating my portable gear collection, but they can leave my ears sore from time to time. Especially when I take them to work and log 4 plus hours etc.

Lastly Music - I have extremely eclectic tastes. However, my 'brain candy' of late would have to be female vocal/acoustic. (I love me some Joy Williams, Civil Wars, London Grammar to give an idea). This is likely driven by my gear selection, but it seems to be the playlists i cue up first when I have time to listen. I also listen to quite a bit of synthpop, EDM, and various genres of rock/metal (bands like, Muse Tool, System of the Down, AC/DC, Disturbed) . I have a large classical vinyl collection... however, that is usually listened to via the Aryas or my speaker (ESS AMTs) on my main stereo system. IMO, nothing beats a few fantastic pressings and a nice glass or two of rum... I do have quite a bit of classical digital too, but I usually prefer the distortion and character my main system gives.

I pulled the trigger on one of those red Serratus, they seem interesting. However, I am curious if there are some more balanced flatheads that may produce a bit more base (I am not one that needs a lot of base, but a touch more than the Moondrops would be interesting for some of my other playlists).

Hopefully this is enough to provide a bit of a background in order to provide some good recommendations. Thanks again!
Very nice, and thorough reply... Sounds fantastic.

There probably isn't anything quite like the Chaconne (as mentioned in my earlier reply) even with a touch more bass. However, if you want to go a different direction with the sound (though still TOTL), and since you seem to have the ability to drive hard to drive head gear, the Yinman 2.0 600 are one of the best for versatility. They do have a really deep reaching bass, and while they are smooth in the upper regions, the resolution and detail retrieval is a bit uncannily revealing (I might liken them a bit to the HD600 or something similar). You would need to listen to them from a high-power source to get the most out of them though because they are 600Ω and only have an 87dB/mW sensitivity rating. This pretty much puts them in the same league as the Hifiman Susvara for needing power to properly excite the drivers. :)

But if driven properly, and if they synergize with the source, there really isn't anything store-bought that can compete (in the same sound signature).

Having said that, if you are looking for a budget set that might resemble the Chaconne (though with less refinement overall) but with a bit more bass, the Lun Sheng Aeolian Bell (Smabat sister company) is better sounding than one would think for roughly $20. They aren't as wide sounding, smooth, resolute, and don't come with a cable, but these work well for critical listening on shoestring budget. They are really the only option (that is listenable) without the "female poison" tuning, from the Smabat company since they discontinued their M2xx line, which these are derived from in sound IMO.

Two more recommendations that are in the similar vein as the Chaconne (though decidedly different as well) are the FiiO FF5, and the DUNU Alpha 3. Both have more quantity of bass than the Chaconne. These are the only other two sets of buds that I have heard that don't have any shouty boosts in the upper mids, and that can be used for both analytical listening, as well as fun (though you probably won't enjoy anything like rap as much as you might on other sets). These are suitable for most genres. I consider them a compliment to the Chaconne since they are niche buds.

I may be wrong here, and @ttorbic may know more than me, but I don't think that the Yincrow brand are considered DIY. Though again, maybe I have been wrong all this time. These are also excellent sidgrades. I consider both the RW2000 and the RW3000 to be TOTL in their sound as well.

Another piece of advise before you jump completely down the rabbit hole. If you are considering purchasing some fairly expensive DIY buds from the names mentioned, I would first purchase a set or two of some (really good but) cheap MX500 buds. The reason I say this is because if you have no issues with the Chaconne, you will be less likely to have issues with any that I have recommended because they are all similar types of shells (though certainly not the same, and still could have fitment issues) and most of the ones made by those names are in the MX500 type. But the MX500 shell seems to be the most divisive where fitment and comfort is concerned. As for the ones to get that still sound good for cheap in this type of shell, the Yincrow X6, or Faael Snow Lotus, Monk (Lite), Faael Iris Ancestor, etc...

As for listening from a cheap source (i.e. phone, PC soundcard), I suggest the very good but super cheap FiiO FF1. They aren't as refined as the other TOTL options, but they actually sound best coming from a low powered, less refined source. I found this strange, but I have tested it with all my gear, from high-end to really low end, and found it to be true for me anyhow. :wink:

Then there is the Smabat ST10S silver regular (42Ω), and black and gold (150Ω). The 150Ω version has the potential for some really decent amount of bass. Since they don't have a huge mid-bass hump, it doesn't show up as much until you listen to something with sub bass (and these have plenty of it, especially for an earbud). They are a bit of a U-shaped tuning but are otherwise very refined sounding. These are a very good set as well.

You MIGHT like the other sets Smabat currently have available, but my advice is to not waste the money on them (M4, and M5, and M5 Golden). Their 20dB+ boost at the 3K to 5K region is what we, around here like to call "ice pick" sound. I am sure you can imagine why?! :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #75,105 of 75,267
Ah, oops, Yincrow is probably not a DIYer! That's my mistake :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back