Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 10, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #73,891 of 75,516
Man, I don't know how this happened and didn't know this is possible, but my Serratus are managing to ruin my other proper headphones through the brain burn-in. Whenever I put on my Audio-Technicas or Grados after listening to Serratus for a couple of hours, the big headphones always appear to sound super muffled and closed in. Not even sure anybody said the words "Grado" and "sound muffled" in the same sentence before lol.

What would be the full sized analogue of Serratus in regards to sound delivery? Something like Beyers DT1990? or maybe HD800?
Do you feel Serratus to be too bright and unnaturally detailed after few hours with Grados?

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #73,892 of 75,516
Nice review! t's making me want a pair of rikubuds even more now.

You said the sound is very good. Just wondering about the bass? I'm not a bass head. I am a jazz fan however, and love to hear the sound of the upright double bass strings slapping against the wood. Would you say that they would be good for has jazz?
What's your budget? I listen to a lot of jazz featuring double bass, and I'd recommend TGXEar Ripples if you wanna hear that level of dynamics and detail.
E.g. songs:
https://tidal.com/track/217760357

https://tidal.com/track/37627612

https://tidal.com/track/235270650

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #73,893 of 75,516
@FranQL is the master of earbuds in my heart and ears.

His Blue Moon, Black Panther mk2, Draco and this bespoke little marvel displayed below have been making my days since I gave another try at earbuds:

IMG_0213.jpeg

Fran is the man💪🔥😎

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #73,894 of 75,516
Do you feel Serratus to be too bright and unnaturally detailed after few hours with Grados?
I did spend some time to find and EQ down all the anatomical resonance peaks from 3 kHz and up - they are especially severe with earbuds for me. Once that is done, Serratus doesn't sound unnaturally bright anymore, but it still sounds so much wider and more spaced out.

For the reference, the only EQ I use with both Grado and ATH is tiny dip around 8 kHz which only affects poorly produced sibilant recordings, and those are both considered to be bright headphones. So I am no stranger to brightness when it comes to headphones.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #73,895 of 75,516
I did spend some time to find and EQ down all the anatomical resonance peaks from 3 kHz and up - they are especially severe with earbuds for me. Once that is done, Serratus doesn't sound unnaturally bright anymore, but it still sounds so much wider and more spaced out.

For the reference, the only EQ I use with both Grado and ATH is tiny dip around 8 kHz which only affects poorly produced sibilant recordings, and those are both considered to be bright headphones. So I am no stranger to brightness when it comes to headphones.
Serratus timbre and stage width are truly TOTL. Certainly goes head to head with some open back cans.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #73,896 of 75,516
Hi,

I've been recommended to ask this question here, I hope that it's the right place!

I've a pair of Yuin PK1's that I've had for years which are finally giving up. I've loved using them and like the sound and soundstage that they produce. I'm aware that these are rather outdated now, and wonder what people would recommend to replace them with please?
I only listen to classical music - instrumental, choral and orchestral, and want to replace them with another earbud as I hate in-ear phones. I know that I could get better sound with something actually in my ear, but I really don't like the feel of them. Budget is around $150.
Many thanks.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #73,897 of 75,516
Hi,

I've been recommended to ask this question here, I hope that it's the right place!

I've a pair of Yuin PK1's that I've had for years which are finally giving up. I've loved using them and like the sound and soundstage that they produce. I'm aware that these are rather outdated now, and wonder what people would recommend to replace them with please?
I only listen to classical music - instrumental, choral and orchestral, and want to replace them with another earbud as I hate in-ear phones. I know that I could get better sound with something actually in my ear, but I really don't like the feel of them. Budget is around $150.
Many thanks.
My library overlaps with yours, but just in case, can you share some examples for me to check out with my sets? I want to check before giving my recommendation.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #73,898 of 75,516
My library overlaps with yours, but just in case, can you share some examples for me to check out with my sets? I want to check before giving my recommendation.
Thanks. Some examples of what I listen to:
Instrumental - solo piano music, ranging from Bach to Rachmaninov (I'm a professional pianist!);
Choral - unaccompanied renaissance music such as Palestrina and Tallis. Also accompanied by orchestra - Bach and Haydn in particular;
Orchestral - Mozart symphonies and piano concertos especially. Also, Rachmaninov piano concertos, Mahler symphonies, Bach orchestral suites.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #73,899 of 75,516
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #73,901 of 75,516
Was on AliExpress ordering a HiBy FC6 (on sale) to use at work, and decided to get a set of FiiO FF3S, since they were also on sale.
I may be able to round-over the corners on the connectors of a couple of my 2.5mm TRRS VE cables, that currently fit the ZOE & AOE, so they'll fit the FF3S.
Otherwise, I think I ordered an extra FiiO 2.5mm TRRS plug for the modular cable on my FF3.

The FF3S arrived today, and I've been watching "Death in Paradise" Season 12 [ https://www.britbox.com/us//season/Death_in_Paradise_S12_m001grn1 ], streamed on BritBox, with the audio path:
Homatics Box R 4K Plus (Android TV Streamer) [SPDIF] -> 4x4 Matrix Switch [SPDIF] -> iFi Micro iDSD (XBass & 3D on) [6.35mm/3.5mm] -> FF3S

I like how they sound, and before anyone asks - I haven't done a direct comparison with my FF3.

I need to order another of the FiiO 2.5mm Twist-lock swappable plugs, since the FF3S only came with 3.5mm & 4.4mm plugs.

Feb 11, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #73,902 of 75,516
Feb 11, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #73,903 of 75,516
You said the sound is very good. Just wondering about the bass? I'm not a bass head. I am a jazz fan however, and love to hear the sound of the upright double bass strings slapping against the wood. Would you say that they would be good for has jazz?
I listened to them as they were, right out of the box.
They're easy to wear and fit well in the ears.
And I was amazed by the quality of the product and its pleasant sound on a variety of music for the price.
In these conditions, the sound is good and pleasant, rather neutral and a little dry; it will lack detail, depth...
I bought them out of curiosity, and since I'd talked about them, I just wanted to report my impression and a few photos.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #73,904 of 75,516
1000007437.jpg

1000007436.jpg

LM drivers arrived. Very very bright, but soundstage is super deep.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #73,905 of 75,516
Thanks. Some examples of what I listen to:
Instrumental - solo piano music, ranging from Bach to Rachmaninov (I'm a professional pianist!);
Choral - unaccompanied renaissance music such as Palestrina and Tallis. Also accompanied by orchestra - Bach and Haydn in particular;
Orchestral - Mozart symphonies and piano concertos especially. Also, Rachmaninov piano concertos, Mahler symphonies, Bach orchestral suites.
I'd strongly recommend TGXEAR buds - the maker is a classically trained artist and his buds have the best timbre. @ian91 and @jwilliamhurst can attest to this. If your budget ceiling is 150, you will need to look for a used one on sale. If you can stretch it a bit, then you can message Jim on Instagram - he's a very nice guy and he will sort you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back