Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 14, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #70,231 of 75,879
ya foams always increase bass and reduce treble

rubber plugs increase bass but dont reduce treble but increase noise isolation and cord banging noise

do those calf buds have anything inside them to increase bass? if you look at the fiio ff3, ff5, and em5 classic buds they all have bass holes like most headphones do but also bass tubes added as well

but even with the bass holes and tubes i still had to up the bass in the eq if i had the foams off, for my preferences
Like other Yincrow buds the Calf have vents in the rear of shell. As far as I know Yincrow does not publish any information about any internal structure design of the shells. Most modern earbuds are tuned to sound good with foams in use. An example of buds that sound good without foams would be the early Apple Earbuds which were tuned to be used without foams. There were some buds from the 90's that were also meant to be used without foams.

So if your preference is to not use foams, then you will have no choice but to EQ unless you can find some buds that are tuned to sound best without foams. IMO, the only other route is to DIY your own buds and tune them to sound good without foams.

Picture of Yincrow Calf showing shell vents.
1686797154764.png

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #70,232 of 75,879
Like other Yincrow buds the Calf have vents in the rear of shell. As far as I know Yincrow does not publish any information about any internal structure design of the shells. Most modern earbuds are tuned to sound good with foams in use. An example of buds that sound good without foams would be the early Apple Earbuds which were tuned to be used without foams. There were some buds from the 90's that were also meant to be used without foams.

So if your preference is to not use foams, then you will have no choice but to EQ unless you can find some buds that are tuned to sound best without foams. IMO, the only other route is to DIY your own buds and tune them to sound good without foams.

Picture of Yincrow Calf showing shell vents.
1686797154764.png

i think every headphone on earth needs at least some eq no matter what state its used in. if you play with the eq enough you will probably find you can improve the sound. people can get used to improper sound signatures and then not realize it can be better.

those calf buds in the picture look like open back with no bass tubes, so my guess is they would let too much outside sound in and not have enough bass even with foams. unless their foams were very thick it might help.

the new apple 3rd gen they have again removed the rubber plugs. apparently they sound pretty good. but bluetooth has 10 disadvantages and only 1 advantage so im still using wired

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #70,235 of 75,879
Hi, does anyone know what components the Smabat ST10S Gold cable is made of? Sounds great with Yincrow Calf, good bass and a wide stage.
The cable attached to the ST-10S Gold is a twisted wire type of gold color and silver color, and the wire material is mixed.

The ST-10S is being sold now below.
https://penonaudio.com/earphones/earbuds/smabat-st-10s.html

But I have an ST-10S Gold and I don't think this cable contributes to the bass.
I recommend you OFC or OCC cables for bass enhancement.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #70,236 of 75,879
I should have taken a photo of the Temperature / Humidity sensor on my porch, as I left the house at 0530 this morning - 81.5°F / 85% Humidity. :smiley:

The cable attached to the ST-10S Gold is a twisted wire type of gold color and silver color, and the wire material is mixed.

The ST-10S is being sild below.
https://penonaudio.com/earphones/earbuds/smabat-st-10s.html

But I have an ST-10S Gold and I don't think this cable contributes to the bass.
I recommend you OFC or OCC cables for bass enhancement.
I like the ikko OCC cable that's 70 bucks on Amazon. Stiff but sounds good.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #70,237 of 75,879
best sound signature is flat, which sounds good for all music types, and reproduces the song as it was originally mastered to sound like

but we can also raise bass & reduce treble a tiny bit to make the sound warmer, which allows for longer listening sessions with less fatigue

default presets on equalizer are dumb and useless because they just mess up the sound signature even more. the point of the eq is to fix sound signatures and make them more flat

apple earpods (2nd gen wired apple buds) i had to crank all the bass way way up and treble way way down. to try and make it more flat. their default sound was ok for phone calls but crap for music

and even with heavy eq the bass still sounded kinda hollow like synth bass. they just could not do proper bass no matter what

the dre beats headphones seem to have hollowed out mids. so crap sound for rock or metal. also they are taking music types like edm, new pop, new rnb, etc.. that already have tons of bass and making bass even higher. how stupid.

all this extra bass non sense is because modern music is all brickwalled with no more dynamic range, so poeple use bass to try and get a beat. 80's rock had dynamic range so the drums had a beat. you didnt need bass, now its all remastered with no more beat to bring the vocals forward and sound like pop lol

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #70,239 of 75,879
Rhino have higher impedance and looks like more top end.
I ordered one, there is a discount right now
I took advantage of the AE summer sale and ordered as well. I do like how Yincrow tunes their buds and the higher impedance of the Rhino could be interesting.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #70,240 of 75,879
Hi, does anyone know what components the Smabat ST10S Gold cable is made of? Sounds great with Yincrow Calf, good bass and a wide stage.
Hmm, just a thought... ST10S BG cable is over ear hook style and the Yincrow Calf cable hangs down. Did you try over ear style with the Calf cable? Maybe the sound improvement you're enjoying is related to wearing over ear style vs hanging down...?

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #70,241 of 75,879
IMG20230615192634x.jpg

I tried several cables, without ear hooks: KBEAR Chord, IvipQ 2-core single crystal copper silver plated (too light), XINHS 4-strand 6N litz (strong bass, but a little muddy) and Smabat ST10s Gold cable - I liked it more than others.
I want to try another cable, maybe someone has used it and can tell me: NiceHCK SuperBlue Taiwan Laboratory 7N OCC Litz
https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=8zXTZAr

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #70,244 of 75,879
Anybody has measurements of bass improvement from different cables? It should show up on FQ response chart pretty easily, if it's real.

We are not your servants, so if you do not trust our experience, please search the measurements yourself,

By the way, you can try the sound quality trends of the OFC and OCC cables for a total of less than $10 at the URL below.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000110051404.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32977455076.html

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #70,245 of 75,879
Can you help me choose earbud to listen to guzheng music? around 150$ and I have Dongle fiio ka5 .

I quite like the Ourart QJ21 Selected Edition and Yincrow RW2000 for chinese acoustic instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back