Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 3, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #70,111 of 75,569
dbx

Screenshot_20230603_070437_AliExpress.jpg

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0rNO2G

Jun 3, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #70,112 of 75,569
I can’t speak to any electrical or technical truths or non-truths about earbuds, but I try to give myself time with a new pair to acclimate to their sound before making any judgments. I’ve had plenty of instances where I initially liked/disliked the sound of a new set only to come back later and be mystified by how I could have thought that way previously. Happened to me yesterday even. So I’m down with brain burn-in for sure.

Jun 3, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #70,113 of 75,569
A Controversial Question.
During burn in, should you use dac, or just a phone is fine?
Conditioning (or as people call it, burn-in) is all about moving parts getting exercised to shift and settle where they will remain until the end of life for the device/head gear in question. With electronics this can be drivers, or capacitors, or really anything that can/will move and expand/contract in the chain of sound that might affect the overall sound that you hear. I am neither far left nor far right on the subject, so I won't argue for or against because there are good arguments for both sides. What I can say is that whether you believe in it or not, it doesn't matter what you use the head gear with, it can be conditioned by simply playing sound through it; whether that be with a DAC/amp or a simple phone.

Having said that, congrats on your new shiny! :)

Edit: Personally, I believe in both (actual) conditioning AND brain burn-in happening.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #70,114 of 75,569
I can’t speak to any electrical or technical truths or non-truths about earbuds, but I try to give myself time with a new pair to acclimate to their sound before making any judgments. I’ve had plenty of instances where I initially liked/disliked the sound of a new set only to come back later and be mystified by how I could have thought that way previously. Happened to me yesterday even. So I’m down with brain burn-in for sure.

Do I need to “burn in” my headphones?

Is Headphones Break-in Real? 120-hour Burn-in Test​

Jun 3, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #70,115 of 75,569
Before this starts to go downhill quickly between far left and far right believers, remember the OPs question, which was if it mattered doing burn-in with a phone or a DAC/amp. Regardless if you believe in burn-in or not, the answer still remains the same, which is no... I don't believe it was their intent to ask whether burn-in is real or not, and there are PLENTY of threads that argue this point one way or the other (still) today.

Point is that I don't want people to start hate posting on my favorite thread on Head-Fi rehashing an argument that has been around since the beginning.

Jun 3, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #70,116 of 75,569
3E6E120C-7BC8-4CA4-84E5-0C95E65E3B55.jpeg

Reviewing another pair of earbuds makes me revisit the Serratus.

Boy! It’s solid. And hard to drive. My Shanling M6U must be kicked to max gain and the volume must turn pass the 30% limit that I usually set to get listenable volume. Not sure whether the warmer tuning of M6U tames the Serratus, or I have underpowered it in the past, but the treble peak does not annoy me anymore.

These buds do sound like (competent) kilobuck IEMs.

Edit: how Jim achieves this kind of bass extension without gizmos like FiiO’s bass tubes is beyond me. Listening to a bunch of sound tracks now. I like the dynamic and tactility of the bass despite the relatively modest amount.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #70,118 of 75,569
Before this starts to go downhill quickly between far left and far right believers, remember the OPs question, which was if it mattered doing burn-in with a phone or a DAC/amp. Regardless if you believe in burn-in or not, the answer still remains the same, which is no... I don't believe it was their intent to ask whether burn-in is real or not, and there are PLENTY of threads that argue this point one way or the other (still) today.

Point is that I don't want people to start hate posting on my favorite thread on Head-Fi rehashing an argument that has been around since the beginning.

I believe using DAC to burn in will usher more hidden frequency , thus shaking more driver part.

Jun 4, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #70,120 of 75,569
What's an upgrade from the x6? I was recommended the Fiio FF3. Is this legit?
FF3 is definitely legit as TOTL earbuds. If you like the X6 overall tuning, you will most likely love the FF3. These are worth the extra cost over the X6 IMO.
I believe using DAC to burn in will usher more hidden frequency , thus shaking more driver part.
LOL Nice! :)
Anyone curious about Eucotech ES-P2?
I joined the Eucotech cummunity.
Maybe i can write some questions in Eucotech website for you guys.
I am very curious about them. What differences are there between the P1 and the P2? Are they a successor, upgrade, sidegrade, etc...? Are they taking the place of the P1? Do we have any specs on them? Pictures; I have no idea what these look like.

I wanted the P1 some time ago and actually tried ordering them, but they would not send them to me (probably because of COVID), but they stopped replying to my emails, so I gave up. Are they discontinuing the P1 for the P2, or will they both be available? Is there a FR curve done in house that they could share? How about cost?

Sorry, but you DID ask if anyone is curious... LOL

And... BTW! Thank you for offering to ask some questions. That is very nice of you. :)

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #70,122 of 75,569
As to above: agree. FF3 is legit and a crazy bargain. Their ONLY downside is the fixed cable, but the one they put them on is sufficiently nice.
AND.... at least it IS modular (which might be considered the next best thing to a removeable cable I suppose)... :)

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #70,123 of 75,569

Hear hear! This is a great thread and hope this stays that way!

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #70,124 of 75,569
GAS2_10.jpg

My review of GAS2 is online on head-fi and my blog.

GAS2 is clearly pair of earbuds that was crafted with care and love by an audio geek. It excels in treble performance, providing excellent extension. The clean and snappy bass response is another notable advantage of these earbuds. Additionally, they are highly comfortable to wear, ensuring a pleasant listening experience.

However, there are a couple of drawbacks to consider. The midrange of the GAS2 can sometimes sound slightly tinny or nasally, depending on the track being played. Furthermore, the soundstage of the earbuds is more intimate than what some listeners (me) may prefer.

In terms of target audience, these IEMs are particularly suitable for individuals who are tired of inserting IEMs into their ear canals or experiencing discomfort from headphones that put pressure on their heads. If you enjoy the sound signature of Etymotic earphones but prefer less upper midrange energy, the GAS2 is a good alternative. It continues to surprise me how well these open earbuds handle treble extension.

Pros

• Excellent treble details and extension
  • Clean and snappy bass response
  • Very comfortable
Cons

• The midrange can sound slightly tinny or nasally depending on the track
  • Soundstage is more intimate than what I want to hear from earbuds
GAS2_summary.jpg

Updated: June 4, 2023

The FF3 is totally legit. The FF5 and Serratus might beat it in terms of resolution and imaging, but neither can sound as big and powerful as the FF3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back