Earbuds Round-Up
May 19, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #69,871 of 75,861
Sweet! I have always loved the Smabat shells. While the M2s Pro were some of my favorites from them, I am glad you did something unique with them. I assume they must sound really good when using the term "big boys"?! :)

I would have to answer that from memory, since I haven't picked up the FF3 since getting the new ones. I will A/B them a bit and let you know. But what I CAN say (that puts them into the higher/highest ranking) is that the Caelum are more airy up top, yet not boosted in the 2K-4K region at all. So, they will never fatigue my ears even at higher volume levels.

I know the drivers from both diy builds. They both sound like you described them. I was curious about Caelum's comparison with FF3. @FranQL Nice work hermano

May 19, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #69,872 of 75,861
So, I got a chance to A/B the Caelum and the FF3, and I can say two things right off the bat upon insertion into the ears. The FF3 are better at doing bass (deepness while retaining texture and accuracy, and speed) while the Caelum are better at all the rest (to my ears).

The bass on the FF3 comes as no surprise because of the fantastic R&D FiiO have done with the shells exactly to make the bass better. Overall, I would say that otherwise the two have similar amounts of bass quantity though. I think the FF3 have a bit more focus on subbass, where the Caelum are just a tad bit more focused on mid bass. I wouldn't call either of these huge in these differences in quantity though.

The Caelum does away with the upper mid/lower treble focus which might, at first listen make them sound like they lack the clarity of the FF3, but the better treble tuning actually leads to better separation. I believe this makes them sound almost smoother yet retaining the overall clarity. Because of this tuning, it makes the Caelum sound very slightly like a U shape on some songs, where others it brings out the vocals (having some higher presence region instruments recessed just a tad comparatively). Overall though, the FF3 sound more mid forward compared to the Caelum. A lot of the staging on the FF3 (IMO) come from that boosted presence region, where the Caelum rely on the higher impedance to do the same naturally (125Ohms IIRC).

I think that the FF3 reach a bit higher in the treble, albeit recessed a bit, where the Caelum are tuned with a bit more treble quantity but are rolled off a bit earlier. Having said that, it could be my ears deceiving me because the Caelum are also a bit warmer (from upper bass) and might be masking the upper treble a bit.

Bottom line is that they are tuned similarly in individual frequencies, but sound pretty different overall because of that non boosted presence region. For instance, I think that if the Caelum had that boost like the FF3 does, they wouldn't sound warmer than the FF3.

Apologies for the seemingly random thoughts here, but I was trying to get my thoughts down as I listen to both sets... :)

May 19, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #69,874 of 75,861
https://www.techvagina.com/headphones/fiio-ff3-review-high-end-sound-at-a-low-end-price/

This review ff3 as no bass at all. Which contradict 99% ,who says ff3 has iem bass quality.
You have to take that review with a grain of salt because he said himself that he is pretty deaf... :) Also, it sounds like he might have a bad set because he mentions that when playing songs with bass it crackles. Also, keep in mind that it is apparent that English is not the native tongue here...

If I they hadn't put those facts in there, I would be so scratching my head over this review... ROFL

May 19, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #69,875 of 75,861
May 19, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #69,876 of 75,861
You have to take that review with a grain of salt because he said himself that he is pretty deaf... :) Also, it sounds like he might have a bad set because he mentions that when playing songs with bass it crackles. Also, keep in mind that it is apparent that English is not the native tongue here...

If I they hadn't put those facts in there, I would be so scratching my head over this review... ROFL
True, even mx500 is near iem enough.

May 19, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #69,877 of 75,861
So, I got a chance to A/B the Caelum and the FF3, and I can say two things right off the bat upon insertion into the ears. The FF3 are better at doing bass (deepness while retaining texture and accuracy, and speed) while the Caelum are better at all the rest (to my ears).

The bass on the FF3 comes as no surprise because of the fantastic R&D FiiO have done with the shells exactly to make the bass better. Overall, I would say that otherwise the two have similar amounts of bass quantity though. I think the FF3 have a bit more focus on subbass, where the Caelum are just a tad bit more focused on mid bass. I wouldn't call either of these huge in these differences in quantity though.

The Caelum does away with the upper mid/lower treble focus which might, at first listen make them sound like they lack the clarity of the FF3, but the better treble tuning actually leads to better separation. I believe this makes them sound almost smoother yet retaining the overall clarity. Because of this tuning, it makes the Caelum sound very slightly like a U shape on some songs, where others it brings out the vocals (having some higher presence region instruments recessed just a tad comparatively). Overall though, the FF3 sound more mid forward compared to the Caelum. A lot of the staging on the FF3 (IMO) come from that boosted presence region, where the Caelum rely on the higher impedance to do the same naturally (125Ohms IIRC).

I think that the FF3 reach a bit higher in the treble, albeit recessed a bit, where the Caelum are tuned with a bit more treble quantity but are rolled off a bit earlier. Having said that, it could be my ears deceiving me because the Caelum are also a bit warmer (from upper bass) and might be masking the upper treble a bit.

Bottom line is that they are tuned similarly in individual frequencies, but sound pretty different overall because of that non boosted presence region. For instance, I think that if the Caelum had that boost like the FF3 does, they wouldn't sound warmer than the FF3.

Apologies for the seemingly random thoughts here, but I was trying to get my thoughts down as I listen to both sets... :)
Thank you! I stick with my Caelum Screenshot_20230519_073006_Photos.jpg

May 19, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #69,878 of 75,861
Any time! That is what I am here for; enjoying this hobby and sharing it with others. :)

Do keep in mind that those numbers are on paper, from the specs of the buds that are also on paper.... This will get you close but doesn't necessarily say that it is right on the money. It is more or less a "rule of thumb" type of data.

I have heard plenty of people on here that I just know aren't driving them fully, that enjoy them quite a lot. At one end of the spectrum (low power) you have a good fun sound with some big bass, albeit a bit loose, and laid back and thinner treble with a bit of grain to it, and on the other hand (higher power) you have tightened up and accurate bass, with still smooth, but also clear and airy treble that isn't thin at all. They behave almost like a different set when you look at the extreme spectrums. At the worst, you will meet somewhere in the middle with the gear you are talking about... I don't consider that a bad thing AT ALL.
I agree 100%, I found that those that didn't like the Yinmans tended to use portable DAPs/amps to power them. These really need a full sized HP amp (3-4 watts at 16 ohms minimum) to sound their best. The sub-bass extension should be near perfect and that is the easiest way to tell if they are being powered properly or not.

I'll say this again but the Yinman 2.0 600s are basically mini-LCD2Cs with superior technicalities. As WoodyLuvr noted, the slightly forward mids are akin to the HD600/650s as well.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #69,879 of 75,861
Thank you! I stick with my CaelumScreenshot_20230519_073006_Photos.jpg
That is a GREAT idea! :)

1) He says at one point in the review “if you’re deaf like me.”

2) Looks like he didn’t use foams. Of course the set sounds thin without foams. You have to use foams with these. Simple as that.
Oh! Point 2 is a great point that I missed... You are absolutely right; they are very thin in the bass department with no foams at all... Good eye sir! :wink:

May 19, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #69,880 of 75,861
I agree 100%, I found that those that didn't like the Yinmans tended to use portable DAPs/amps to power them. These really need a full sized HP amp (3-4 watts at 16 ohms minimum) to sound their best. The sub-bass extension should be near perfect and that is the easiest way to tell if they are being powered properly or not.

I'll say this again but the Yinman 2.0 600s are basically mini-LCD2Cs with superior technicalities. As WoodyLuvr noted, the slightly forward mids are akin to the HD600/650s as well.
Well said!

May 19, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #69,881 of 75,861
Oh! Point 2 is a great point that I missed... You are absolutely right; they are very thin in the bass department with no foams at all... Good eye sir! :wink:
I think we've wasted enough time talking about a review posted on a website called "techvagina", which collects reviews on everything from home appliances to electric scooters.

May 19, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #69,882 of 75,861
I think we've wasted enough time talking about a review posted on a website called "techvagina", which collects reviews on everything from home appliances to electric scooters.
ROFL Also a great point that I missed!

May 19, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #69,883 of 75,861

LOL seems the reviewer didn't get a eargasm with this earbud that was reviewed.

May 19, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #69,884 of 75,861
Well techpenis hasn't review it yet, so we're stuck with what we got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back