Earbuds Round-Up
May 18, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #69,856 of 75,861
Hi, how would you compare Yinman 2 vs DIY masters like Riku's or Jim pure SQ wise (disregarding the differences in tonality if possible)?

I sold all my reference buds (Saber 1, Alter Rider 1, Bell Serratus) due to fit mostly and only have my own DIY assymetric Qian39 now (and Vidos :D) and I am quite confident I have one version which sounds extremely good, but I would need some good checkpoint on if my memory fails me again. And this Yinman shell looks very promising to try
Hi there!

I have a total of 4 DIY buds now. Two of which I recently received, and two others that were sent to me some time ago at separate times. While I can't speak for "paid for" DIYs, I can tell you that even the worst set I have compare very well to the Yinmans. This is a pretty tricky question overall though because all of my DIY buds were (purposefully) tuned differently because I don't like to have different buds that sound the same in my collection. Having said that, I have rated and ranked them with my whole collection, rather than in the category of DIY. As for the older buds, I have ranked one set as tied for second with the FiiO FF5, and one tied for third with the RW3000, with the Yinmans coming in first overall.

Since that time, I have received two more sets of DIY buds, and I can safely say that they are both now squarely in first place overall over the Yinmans. It actually shocked me that the overall SQ and technicalities could even get that much better because the Yinmans that I have had for some time sound a lot like the venerable Sennheiser HD650 or even some Stax that I have listened to. DIY buds would have to be at the very top in order to sound better than the Yinmans IMO. But, keep in mind that when you get to that level of "good" it really doesn't necessarily mean this one is better than that one and etc... It simply means that they are different, and it will come down to preferences.

But, to answer your question, I would put the Yinmans up there with the best of the best (for what I have heard). As for shell and shape, they not only fit me the second best of all my buds (FiiO FF3 taking that spot, believe it or not), but are also very comfortable. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. I have a set of IEMs that are super comfortable, but they give me pain after some time (as an example).

The Yinmans are made of wood, so while they are indeed very sturdy, they are also super lightweight. Having said all of that, I am pretty much in the same boat as you where MX500 shells are concerned. I can make them work, but overall they don't fit me very well. They aren't uncomfortable or cause any discomfort, but I have a hard time keeping them in my ears. I was quite shocked also when I learned that the asymmetrical DP100 shell fit very well.

May 18, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #69,857 of 75,861
Hi there!

I have a total of 4 DIY buds now. Two of which I recently received, and two others that were sent to me some time ago at separate times. While I can't speak for "paid for" DIYs, I can tell you that even the worst set I have compare very well to the Yinmans. This is a pretty tricky question overall though because all of my DIY buds were (purposefully) tuned differently because I don't like to have different buds that sound the same in my collection. Having said that, I have rated and ranked them with my whole collection, rather than in the category of DIY. As for the older buds, I have ranked one set as tied for second with the FiiO FF5, and one tied for third with the RW3000, with the Yinmans coming in first overall.

Since that time, I have received two more sets of DIY buds, and I can safely say that they are both now squarely in first place overall over the Yinmans. It actually shocked me that the overall SQ and technicalities could even get that much better because the Yinmans that I have had for some time sound a lot like the venerable Sennheiser HD650 or even some Stax that I have listened to. DIY buds would have to be at the very top in order to sound better than the Yinmans IMO. But, keep in mind that when you get to that level of "good" it really doesn't necessarily mean this one is better than that one and etc... It simply means that they are different, and it will come down to preferences.

But, to answer your question, I would put the Yinmans up there with the best of the best (for what I have heard). As for shell and shape, they not only fit me the second best of all my buds (FiiO FF3 taking that spot, believe it or not), but are also very comfortable. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. I have a set of IEMs that are super comfortable, but they give me pain after some time (as an example).

The Yinmans are made of wood, so while they are indeed very sturdy, they are also super lightweight. Having said all of that, I am pretty much in the same boat as you where MX500 shells are concerned. I can make them work, but overall they don't fit me very well. They aren't uncomfortable or cause any discomfort, but I have a hard time keeping them in my ears. I was quite shocked also when I learned that the asymmetrical DP100 shell fit very well.
Just added the Yinman's to my wish list! I've got a FiiO q11 that's rated at 600 ohms; is that likely to provide enough power to let them shine? I love this hobby and am really glad I stumbled on buds before iems because the cost/reward seems so much better. Iems obviously have their place and uses but for my main listening habits (lying on the couch) buds just feel like a no brainer. I guess I'm lucky that I don't really have any fit issues which I know make buds a more difficult proposition for some.

May 18, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #69,858 of 75,861
Hi there!

Thank you, that was extremely helpful answer :)
FF3 is also another of the off the shelf sets that are of my interest now, so you saying that the fit is great makes it even more tempting. All in all - the fit and comfort in buds are game changers and differences between nice and bad experience

May 18, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #69,859 of 75,861
My big boys, 500ohm (blue shells) and 600ohm (Smabat shells)
20230517_173419.jpg20230517_172449.jpg

May 18, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #69,860 of 75,861
Are Yincrow earbuds available anywhere other than Ali for US shopper?
They might be, but if they are, I have not seen it.
Just added the Yinman's to my wish list! I've got a FiiO q11 that's rated at 600 ohms; is that likely to provide enough power to let them shine? I love this hobby and am really glad I stumbled on buds before iems because the cost/reward seems so much better. Iems obviously have their place and uses but for my main listening habits (lying on the couch) buds just feel like a no brainer. I guess I'm lucky that I don't really have any fit issues which I know make buds a more difficult proposition for some.
I don't think that one will have the oomph to drive them fully to their potential (not a lot of portable will), but at the same time, these sound terrific even from a very weak source. It looks like they can do 650mW @32Ohms from the specs I can see.

Having said that, they don't show the max VRMS so the picture is incomplete; however, they do state this in their advertisement:

POWERFUL PORTABLE
SOUND WITH PERSONALITY​

With a balanced power output of up to 650mW, as well as low and high gain levels, it is easy to listen to both low and high-impedance headphones on the Q11 anytime, anywhere

To make things easy, I always recommend having a device that can deliver at least 1W to 1.2W to be able to fully drive these. This is only on paper so YMMV.
Thank you, that was extremely helpful answer :)
FF3 is also another of the off the shelf sets that are of my interest now, so you saying that the fit is great makes it even more tempting. All in all - the fit and comfort in buds are game changers and differences between nice and bad experience
You are most welcome!

The FF3 are deceiving in how comfortable they can be (as always YMMV though) because the stem makes them pretty long (though not as long as the Chaconne), and they are heavy... But, IMO the balance and the weight are what make them sit firmly but comfortably in the ears. And there are no hot spots for me either. Strange, but the design is very similar to the Chaconne, but those aren't NEAR as comfortable to me.

May 18, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #69,861 of 75,861
I didn't want to be disrespectful to @FranQL by posting these up and making a huge deal out of them (like they truly deserve), because the last time I did (with the Grand Finale, and Blackhole Redux) he was PMed to "kingdom come" about selling them to people. So, with that in mind, and to reiterate, he doesn't sell them or make them upon request, and he makes them from his own pocket and in his free time. Please don't spam him with requests?! Thank you!

With that said, I would like to introduce the Aquila and the Caelum. These are the DIY buds I was referring to earlier as "summit-fi" and are both better than anything I have heard from a bud to date.
20230505_125707.jpg

The Aquila are a fantastic reference sound with a soundstage that rivals or beats the Chaconne and/or Maria II (oh the technicalities are SUPER addicting on these). There is plenty of bass, but the volume/quantity is reduced to hear the accuracy of it. I wouldn't say that these are aggressive, but they manage to pull out a very large amount of macro and micro details. Resolution is just top notch as well as imaging and separation.

Then we have the Caelum. These are a straight up smooth and satisfying listen. These are warm and bassy without sacrificing too much off the top end or intruding on the mids. They are what I like to call a boosted and balanced set. The bass is boosted but doesn't ruin the overall balance. These are the fun type of listen of the highest caliber.

Both are astoundingly good, but I grab for the Aquila more often. I don't think that makes them better, but more "native" to what I normally listen to. The first two sets that @FranQL sent to me where breathtaking themselves, but these are on another level, and he has upped his game. I think that even he is VERY proud of these (as he should be).

Bottom line is that I am just not sure that it can get any better with the limited size, form factor, current technology, etc...

P.S. Even though it doesn't show it, both sets are now wearing the VE donuts to sound their best. :)

P.P.S. No foreskin was harmed in the making of these earbuds! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #69,862 of 75,861
My big boys, 500ohm (blue shells) and 600ohm (Smabat shells)
20230517_173419.jpg20230517_172449.jpg
Sorry for triple posting here but I couldn't "not" say how beautiful those are! Well done! Is that the ST10S silver shell or the M2s Pro? I love the looks of both, but boy does that purple theme just pop (for me). :)

May 18, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #69,863 of 75,861
To make things easy, I always recommend having a device that can deliver at least 1W to 1.2W to be able to fully drive these. This is only on paper so YMMV.
I was probably looking at picking up a new desktop DAC/amp so this gives me more of a reason (this wish list is getting longer and longer!). I've got the VE Megatron sat on my desk at the minute so can flip between the two for the time being to find which sound best. Thanks again for all your advice; still being relatively new to the hobby it's great finding a supportive community!

May 18, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #69,864 of 75,861
I was probably looking at picking up a new desktop DAC/amp so this gives me more of a reason (this wish list is getting longer and longer!). I've got the VE Megatron sat on my desk at the minute so can flip between the two for the time being to find which sound best. Thanks again for all your advice; still being relatively new to the hobby it's great finding a supportive community!
You are very welcome! And I hope you find joy in them as much as I (and many others) do?! :)

The Megatron should drive them (I think), from reading others on here post about it. Either way, do let us know your thoughts on them when you get them?!

May 18, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #69,865 of 75,861
You are very welcome! And I hope you find joy in them as much as I (and many others) do?! :)

The Megatron should drive them (I think), from reading others on here post about it. Either way, do let us know your thoughts on them when you get them?!
I certainly will. I've started tentative steps into reviewing (lucked out on an iem reviewer round) and as a big advocate of the VE flagship buds and with there being relatively few reviews out there of them I feel like I should show them some written love.

May 18, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #69,866 of 75,861
Put it this way, they are really easy to drive to low levels, but the requirments ramp up a TON and quickly if you want louder volumes. For instance, to drive them to 110dBSPL you would need something like:

• 80mW
  • 6.90VRMS
  • 11.5mA
And that doesn't even account for voltage swing. Normally I like to have roughly double the voltage requirement of a DD set, though in this case I have a DAP that does 8.2VRMS for 2W max, and I can tell you that they are indeed driven properly using it and to those volume levels.

That said, I have a DAP that does right around the 6.2VRMS mark, and to my ears they sound very close to what they do on the higher powered one. This might just be the different signature from the DAP though.

May 18, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #69,867 of 75,861
Put it this way, they are really easy to drive to low levels, but the requirments ramp up a TON and quickly if you want louder volumes. For instance, to drive them to 110dBSPL you would need something like:

• 80mW
  • 6.90VRMS
  • 11.5mA
And that doesn't even account for voltage swing. Normally I like to have roughly double the voltage requirement of a DD set, though in this case I have a DAP that does 8.2VRMS for 2W max, and I can tell you that they are indeed driven properly using it and to those volume levels.

That said, I have a DAP that does right around the 6.2VRMS mark, and to my ears they sound very close to what they do on the higher powered one. This might just be the different signature from the DAP though.
Thanks for the figures. As I've said numerous times I'm on a learning curve so having actual targets (even if I only roughly understand them) is a real help.

May 18, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #69,868 of 75,861
Thanks for the figures. As I've said numerous times I'm on a learning curve so having actual targets (even if I only roughly understand them) is a real help.
Any time! That is what I am here for; enjoying this hobby and sharing it with others. :)

Do keep in mind that those numbers are on paper, from the specs of the buds that are also on paper.... This will get you close but doesn't necessarily say that it is right on the money. It is more or less a "rule of thumb" type of data.

I have heard plenty of people on here that I just know aren't driving them fully, that enjoy them quite a lot. At one end of the spectrum (low power) you have a good fun sound with some big bass, albeit a bit loose, and laid back and thinner treble with a bit of grain to it, and on the other hand (higher power) you have tightened up and accurate bass, with still smooth, but also clear and airy treble that isn't thin at all. They behave almost like a different set when you look at the extreme spectrums. At the worst, you will meet somewhere in the middle with the gear you are talking about... I don't consider that a bad thing AT ALL.

May 18, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #69,869 of 75,861
Sorry for triple posting here but I couldn't "not" say how beautiful those are! Well done! Is that the ST10S silver shell or the M2s Pro? I love the looks of both, but boy does that purple theme just pop (for me). :)
Thank you! 🍻 Those are the M2pro shells
How is Caelum vs FF3?

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #69,870 of 75,861
Thank you! 🍻 Those are the M2pro shells
How is Caelum vs FF3?
Sweet! I have always loved the Smabat shells. While the M2s Pro were some of my favorites from them, I am glad you did something unique with them. I assume they must sound really good when using the term "big boys"?! :)

I would have to answer that from memory, since I haven't picked up the FF3 since getting the new ones. I will A/B them a bit and let you know. But what I CAN say (that puts them into the higher/highest ranking) is that the Caelum are more airy up top, yet not boosted in the 2K-4K region at all. So, they will never fatigue my ears even at higher volume levels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back