Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 11, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #67,756 of 75,272
This I am afraid of. After hearing in early December than the Chinese postal service quite literally went postal, worries about consumer postal exports considering.
Did anyone else just log in to check tracking on orders?

Fortunately all the things I didn't order (due to enhanced fiscal responsibility) are now in the country. Half would even have cleared customs. Which of course they haven't since I never ordered them! :wink:

Jan 11, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #67,757 of 75,272
Jan 11, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #67,758 of 75,272
Some pics
Version X with 3 in 1 tube(long 3x tube)
IMG_20230110_112922.jpg

MMCX:
IMG_20230106_212005.jpg

IMG_20230106_021431.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #67,759 of 75,272
Some pics
Version X with 3 in 1 tube(long 3x tube)
IMG_20230110_112922.jpg

MMCX:
IMG_20230106_212005.jpg

IMG_20230106_021431.jpg
Pardon the ignorance on these, but are those @ValSuki designed shells? Those look like the "cat paws" shells that he has been working on. :) They look very nice. :)

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #67,760 of 75,272
Pardon the ignorance on these, but are those @ValSuki designed shells? Those look like the "cat paws" shells that he has been working on. :) They look very nice. :)
I did not see his work(do you have a link? :) ), I did everything from the beginning, I can even show prototypes :)

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #67,761 of 75,272
I did not see his work(do you have a link? :) ), I did everything from the beginning, I can even show prototypes :)
I did not mean to come across as accusatory (if it seems that way) to you OR @ValSuki. I was just noticing that they look alike and was wondering if there was a connection there.

I have no links to offer, though I THINK that there were some pictures here on this thread, and over on the Discord server it has been discussed also. :)

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #67,762 of 75,272
I did not mean to come across as accusatory (if it seems that way) to you OR @ValSuki. I was just noticing that they look alike and was wondering if there was a connection there.

I have no links to offer, though I THINK that there were some pictures here on this thread, and over on the Discord server it has been discussed also. :)
Interesting 🤔

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #67,763 of 75,272

Interesting 🤔
Could be referring to this post by @ValSuki? It's not the same design, but is 3D printed. BTW, did you notice ValSuki and Mr.HiAudio both have a cat as their thumbnail. Meow!

Edit: I have a lot of reading to catch up on this thread.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #67,765 of 75,272
I bought FAAEAL Snow-Lotus 1.0 and NiceHCK EB2S. I hope there is no difference for FAAEAL since I actually wanted Snow-Lotus 1.0+ version. Let's see... I will reply this in the future!

-Why I don't want to pay too much for earbuds?
+First of all, I am Turkish. We were buying earbuds in bazaar in 90s, early 2000s. This was cheap solution for the music lovers who listens music on cassette players/portable radios. I know how much capacity they can get in the normal situation so I don't want to pay too much because it is called Hi-Fi or whatever. I saw too many example or comments which cheap earbuds compared to expensive/brand ones.

NiceHCK EB2S has arrived. Too unhappy.

First of all, the things I will say is completely personal. The thing I don't like can be your favorite, who knows?! But sound-wise all the things are true. This is done in first day without burn-in so take it with grain a salt.

Bass: Sub-bass is definately there and it does not get blend with kicks or mid-bass. Mid bass is not emphasized, sounds flat, even can be recessed. So all the body of the sound feels like coming from sub-bass somehow. Upper-bass is definately recessed.

Mid: Recessed as ***! There is no mid at all... No...

Treble: Treble is definately there. All the human voices coming from treble-side and upper-mid. You know that some producers like to brigthen female singers to make it more dynamic, airy, sexy and girl-ish... Now think about it... Even Rick Astley's voice sound like Britney Spears right now. This is terrible... Upper side of treble is fully opened. It feels like somebody turned up 16kHz fully up. Due to emphasized upper treble, you hear reverbs, echos so clear and it kills the whole point of being "echo" thing. You hear them as the same level of vocals. All the effects of, can be vocal, or instrumental, synthesizer, can be heard transparently. Hi-hats, cymbals sound metallic, very sparkly, very much unnatural and disturbing.

Soundstage: If you think about recessed mid's you can imagine that there is no air in any recordings, there is no spacious-ness or room/hall like feelings in the recordings. (Imagine jazz or classique music, even any 80's songs) Too much clear sound resulted as narrow and blended soup soundstage. I know this sounds opposite of clarity. How can I say... Yes, I hear effects so clearly from right or left, yes but too much trebles at higher volumes starts to cause soup like sound. If you are going to listen at very low levels, like critical listening, then you will very like the soundstage and will find it wide.

Depth: There is no depth at all. Everything is so close to your face that you can't feel the layers. There is no mid, there is no depth except emphasized echos. This means there is no darkness.

Instrument seperation: Thanks to the upper of treble and recessed mids, every instrument is heard clearly but this is not mean that you can choose it. Trebles are causing something; In industries, machines would beep in very high pitch, it is because our ears responds more to the higher sounds. This is very tiring and you start to cannot choose anything after 5 minutes of listening. You start to listen hi-hats and cymbals and air whoosing effects as music.

First 30 seconds, I tried with one layer of cushions, then after hearing it's metallic cheap, 2010's chinese in-ear headphone sound-like treble's, I started to wear it with double cushions. It helped a little bit about mids and trebles but it was too small help about overall sound.
All the female vocals sound like mixmastered Britney Spears, Ariana Grande studio vocals. Autotuned female vocals including Britney Spears sounded like alien. There is no timbre of the vocal, just shhhhhhh sounds I am hearing... All the 80's songs sound metallic. All the male vocals sound like Britney Spears.

Also I have tried it with my laptops from around 2010's at the moment. They lack of treble from headphone output but they got amazing stereo crosstalk levels. There is no leaking and there is amazing depth etc. Even with them, they still sound bright but much much better than new technologies like smartphones and new laptops. Still, sound very fake.

Somebody told me, kind of reminds HD650 and boy, I own HD6XX and there is no any similarity. (unless you listen it at very low levels at night then it feels dark not warm and sounds like HD6XX little bit)

This just sounds like 2010-ish cheap Chinese, in-ears without mid-bass thump. My ears are ringing now. I cannot believe how people suggested this to me.

I only could recommend this to who like to analyze echos, effects, vocal effects, female vocal layering (background double, triple etc.) at low volume levels. It has a clarity that makes very very noticable of older recordings which got low repeating sounds in silent parts. Very good detailing and seperation but only at low volume levels. I should remind it again, mids are recessed!

TC200 and TC300 was my first shot into earbuds from AliExpress and it was great shot thanks to ounwx's correct ears. Here, you can see his comment that changed my life:

https://www.head-fi.org/goto/post?id=15096032

Now, I am waiting for that FAAEAL Snow-Lotus 1.0 and just hoping that there is no difference with Snow-Lotus 1.0+ version. If I don't like it that too, I will try to buy that TC200 since TC300, my love is already discountinued.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #67,766 of 75,272
First of all, the things I will say is completely personal. The thing I don't like can be your favorite, who knows?! But sound-wise all the things are true.

Bass: Sub-bass is definately there and it does not get blend with kicks or mid-bass. Mid bass is not emphasized, sounds flat, even can be recessed. So all the body of the sound feels like coming from sub-bass somehow. Upper-bass is definately recessed.

Treble: Treble is definately there. All the human voices coming from treble-side and upper-mid. You know that some producers like to brigthen female singers to make it more dynamic, airy, sexy and girl-ish... Now think about it... Even Rick Astley's voice sound like Britney Spears right now. This is terrible... Upper side of treble is fully opened. It feels like somebody turned up 16kHz fully up. Due to emphasized upper treble, you hear reverbs, echos so clear and it kills the whole point of being "echo" thing. You hear them as the same level of vocals. Hi-hats, cymbals sound metallic, very sparkly, very much unnatural and disturbing.

Soundstage: If you think about recessed mid's you can imagine that there is no air in any recordings, there is no spacious-ness or room/hall like feelings in the recordings. (Imagine jazz or classique music, even any 80's songs) Too much clear sound resulted as narrow and blended soup soundstage.

Depth: There is no depth at all. Everything is so close that you can't feel the layers. There is no mid, there is no depth except emphasized echos. This means there is no darkness.

Instrument seperation: Thanks to the upper of treble and recessed mids, every instrument is heard clearly but this is not mean that you can choose it. Trebles are causing something; In industries, machines would beep in very high pitch, it is because our ears responds more to the high sounds. This is very tiring and you start to cannot choose anything after 5 minutes of listening. You start to listen hi-hats and cymbals and air whoosing effects as music.

First 30 seconds, I tried with one layer of cushions, then after hearing it's metallic cheap, 2010's chinese in-ear headphone sound-like treble's, I started to wear it with double cushions. It helped a little bit about mids and trebles but it was too small help about overall sound.
All the female vocals sound like mixmastered Britney Spears, Ariana Grande studio vocals. Autotuned female vocals including Britney Spears sound like alien. There is no timbre of the vocal, just shhhhhhh sounds I am hearing... All the 80's songs sound metallic. All the male vocals sound like Britney Spears.

I have tried it with my laptops from around 2010's at the moment. They lack of treble from headphone output but they got amazing stereo crosstalk levels. There is no leaking and there is amazing depth etc. Even with them, they still sound bright but much much better than new technologies like smartphones and new laptops. Still, sound very fake.

Somebody told me, kind of reminds HD650 and boy, I own HD6XX and there is no any similarity. This just sounds like 2010-ish cheap Chinese, in-ears without mid-bass thump. My ears are ringing now. I cannot believe how people suggested this to me. TC200 and TC300 was my first shot into earbuds from AliExpress and it was great shot thanks to ounwx's correct ears. Here, you can see his comment that changed my life:

Now, I am waiting for that FAAEAL Snow-Lotus 1.0 and just hoping that there is no difference with Snow-Lotus 1.0+ version. If I don't like it that too, I will try to buy that TC200 since TC300, my love is already discountinued.
eb2s is warm smooth tuning, yours eb2s have qc issue.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #67,768 of 75,272
Hello! Could you tell why you generally hate mmcx? I never used mmxc but a few days ago I ordered an RY4S mmcx and now I'm waiting to deliver. Your feedback would be much appreciated :smile:
It comes down to the connection itself. I do hear promising things about Sennheisers modified mmcx that they now use. For IEM, 2-pin is more solid of a connection than mmcx, for me. My first IEM was with mmcx and it was great for a few years but one side became loose and eventually lost sound altogether except if I forced the connection to one side manually. This might be an isolated event but it turned me off of the type right then and there.

I would generally say if you are spending more than $500 on an IEM and plan on keeping it long term (>1 yr), 2-pin or bust imo.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #67,769 of 75,272
Update: so far so good with the TRN EMX. The fit is great in my ears. Like “I don’t even feel them” great. Stock foams are still working fine. The cable has TRN’s standard modular connections. This example is connecting solidly with the three plug ends it comes with. The cable itself is fine. It’s a little less substantial than I typically prefer but it handles well, isn’t tangly and seems to sound okay.

The set itself is nice. It has a definite W shaped sound with the upper mids being emphasized. Works great for male vocals. I haven’t found it to be “shouty” at all. The treble is smooth and moderately detailed and the bass is well placed and plenty ample. It could use some more sub-bass, but it isn’t non-existent.

The overall experience is airy without being thin. There’s note weight and decent separation. The mid-forward presentation does bring the sound stage in close for some tracks. On others it sounds nice and expansive with that “outside your head” feeling happening on the right tracks.

So at least this far into listening to them (6-10 hours or so) I think they’re good. Not world beaters but good, especially if the over-ear design fits your specific ears.

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #67,770 of 75,272
First of all, the things I will say is completely personal. The thing I don't like can be your favorite, who knows?! But sound-wise all the things are true.

Treble: Treble is definately there. All the human voices coming from treble-side and upper-mid. You know that some producers like to brigthen female singers to make it more dynamic, airy, sexy and girl-ish... Now think about it... Even Rick Astley's voice sound like Britney Spears right now. This is terrible... Upper side of treble is fully opened. It feels like somebody turned up 16kHz fully up. Due to emphasized upper treble, you hear reverbs, echos so clear and it kills the whole point of being "echo" thing. You hear them as the same level of vocals. Hi-hats, cymbals sound metallic, very sparkly, very much unnatural and disturbing.

Soundstage: If you think about recessed mid's you can imagine that there is no air in any recordings, there is no spacious-ness or room/hall like feelings in the recordings. (Imagine jazz or classique music, even any 80's songs) Too much clear sound resulted as narrow and blended soup soundstage.

Depth: There is no depth at all. Everything is so close that you can't feel the layers. There is no mid, there is no depth except emphasized echos. This means there is no darkness.

Instrument seperation: Thanks to the upper of treble and recessed mids, every instrument is heard clearly but this is not mean that you can choose it. Trebles are causing something; In industries, machines would beep in very high pitch, it is because our ears responds more to the high sounds. This is very tiring and you start to cannot choose anything after 5 minutes of listening. You start to listen hi-hats and cymbals and air whoosing effects as music.

All the female vocals sound like mixmastered Britney Spears, Ariana Grande studio vocals. Autotuned female vocals including Britney Spears sound like alien. There is no timbre of the vocal, just shhhhhhh sounds I am hearing... All the 80's songs sound metallic. All the male vocals sound like Britney Spears.

I have tried it with my laptops from around 2010's at the moment. They lack of treble from headphone output but they got amazing stereo crosstalk levels. There is no leaking and there is amazing depth etc. Even with them, they still sound bright but much much better than new technologies like smartphones and new laptops. Still, sound very fake.

Somebody told me, kind of reminds HD650 and boy, I own HD6XX and there is no any similarity. This just sounds like 2010-ish cheap Chinese, in-ears without mid-bass thump. My ears are ringing now. I cannot believe how people suggested this to me. TC200 and TC300 was my first shot into earbuds from AliExpress and it was great shot thanks to ounwx's correct ears. Here, you can see his comment that changed my life:

eb2s is warm smooth tuning, yours eb2s have qc issue.
They could be considered smooth if you aren't sensitive to pina gain boost (like I am). I would actually not call them warm, and I would say that they are actually fairly aggressive overall. I also don't think they sound anything like what @Tromick is describing. It IS possible that they are defective (maybe the cable???). Or it also is possible that NiceHCK has changed something about them, and the newer tuning is different. Or maybe you are having a fitment issue? Have you tried them in multiple sources?

To me the closest comparison (with the set I have) is the Smabat M2s Pro (which is to say that they are a bit less refined, but sound good overall). Sorry that they sound bad to your ears. I also think that I might have been (at least) one person to have recommended them to you. This being based on my experience with them and reviews you can find on Head-Fi also (which are much more favorable and don't really match what you are hearing for some reason).

While I have not heard them, I have not read too many favorable reviews on the Snow Lotus (though YMMV once again). Maybe if you are looking for budget buds, you might give the Yincrow X6 a try?! I also have not heard those, but from everything I have read, they punch in at much higher than their price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back