Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 19, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #65,026 of 75,887
RIOBuds becomes ! :)
DIY Project shell mx500

The shells look like cat paws. So cool :dt880smile:

From the EMX product page, this doesn't look like Female poisin tuning. According to TRN It's supposed to be well balanced with good bass response.
I guess whoever purchased should reach out to TRN and see what they have to say.

S572a1e5324424370bd133bbef1ee38cb4.jpg

I wouldn't trust that graph, tbh. That lifted frequency from 2k down is only possible when you completely press the buds against the coupler (your ear canals). The actual measurement in realistic use cases might reveal more than 10db ear gain.

With that being said, what kind of foams are you using @chavez?

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #65,028 of 75,887

I wouldn't trust that graph, tbh. That lifted frequency from 2k down is only possible when you completely press the buds against the coupler (your ear canals). The actual measurement in realistic use cases might reveal more than 10db ear gain.

Yep, we know the FR graphs don't tell the whole story. Even if the FR graph is wonky, hopefully they did their own product listening tests before they published their web product page.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #65,029 of 75,887
From the EMX product page, this doesn't look like Female poisin tuning. According to TRN It's supposed to be well balanced with good bass response.
I guess whoever purchased should reach out to TRN and see what they have to say.

S572a1e5324424370bd133bbef1ee38cb4.jpg
Maybe what @koniotaur is referring to is actual treble boost, rather than pina gain or upper mids/lower treble?! Some are sensitive to mid to upper treble boosts. I can live with some pretty boosted treble (as long as there isn't actual stridency), but overly boosted pina gain is painful to me. Or maybe it is a double shot like the RW3000, where pina gain AND treble is boosted somewhat?!

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #65,030 of 75,887
Maybe what @koniotaur is referring to is actual treble boost, rather than pina gain or upper mids/lower treble?! Some are sensitive to mid to upper treble boosts. I can live with some pretty boosted treble (as long as there isn't actual stridency), but overly boosted pina gain is painful to me. Or maybe it is a double shot like the RW3000, where pina gain AND treble is boosted somewhat?!
Yeah, hard to speculate. I didn't get these, so I don't have any skin in the game. Just my observations from reading their AE product page. I guess we'll find out more as the guys who bought them give their impressions.

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #65,031 of 75,887

I dont have them, and by the looks of it wont be getting them 🤣.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #65,033 of 75,887
I'd say I'm pretty treble sensitive. Some planar IEM that's praised by the crowd (Shuoer S12) caused headaches for me.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #65,034 of 75,887
how is monk lite sound quality? Is it really bad?

The shell is very comfortable for sleeping. I already have the similar shaped qian39

The Monk Lite is a terrible sounding earbud for music IME. No low end, shouty mids, and grainy uneven treble. It sounds exactly like what audiophiles describe the sound of terrible gas station earbuds as when they're explaining to people why earbuds should be ignored completely. If everybody that was curious what earbuds sounded like was given a pair of Monk Lite to try, there would be very few new earbuds users.

That said, for speach based listening like podcasts, Netflixz, and such they'd probably be fine. And, believe it or not, I have read a few reviews of people who enjoy them for music which is one of the things I remind myself of when I need an example of just how didferently individuals can hear.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #65,035 of 75,887
I'd say I'm pretty treble sensitive. Some planar IEM that's praised by the crowd (Shuoer S12) caused headaches for me.

The S12s treble has a peak in it that is borderline too hot for many people so you're probably pretty normal. Many planar IEMs seem to have a problem with peaks in the treble. The S12s are fine for me, but the 7hz Timeless has a peak in it's treble that drives me crazy and this is from a guy who is far from sensitive to boosted treble.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #65,036 of 75,887
The S12s treble has a peak in it that is borderline too hot for many people so you're probably pretty normal. Many planar IEMs seem to have a problem with peaks in the treble. The S12s are fine for me, but the 7hz Timeless has a peak in it's treble that drives me crazy and this is from a guy who is far from sensitive to boosted treble.
Interesting. The Timeless don't bother me a bit where treble is concerned. I have not heard the S12 though, so I can't comment... But from what I have read the S12 has an overall boosted treble, just not anything as "spikey" AFAIK. I would take more linear (even if boosted), over big spikes any day. Those spikes tend to stand out more even if the overall gain is less than a more linear curve IMHO.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #65,037 of 75,887
Status update on the Smabat M4 (and drivers). According to AE tracking, they have been sitting in my local post office for the last 5 days, while USPS (actual person) tells me they haven't seen them, only created a label 6 days ago... Well, Poo! I'm glad I am a patient man.... NOT! :)

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #65,038 of 75,887
Status update on the Smabat M4 (and drivers). According to AE tracking, they have been sitting in my local post office for the last 5 days, while USPS (actual person) tells me they haven't seen them, only created a label 6 days ago... Well, Poo! I'm glad I am a patient man.... NOT! :)

Mine are out for delivery today after I thought I was going to get them last week and they never showed.

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #65,040 of 75,887
There's been a few people posting to this thread about how they have small ears, that they have a hard time fitting IEMs, can't stand over ear headphones and they want to go with earbuds but also have problems with fitting buds as well.

Maybe this is a solution? I was browsing the Walkman blog and this was posted: Sony Off-Ear headphones, WI-OE600. True wireless Off-Ear headphones. According to the Walkman blog, the crowdfunding at indiegogo was a big success and maybe Sony will release them for sale as well?

Here's a couple pictures.

xd2rovrcghi1npti9er7

jmhogrnjtvqwd3celvwh

ykkf7kgz82zidhu4sdya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back