Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 18, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #65,011 of 75,869
BTW, your thoughts here mirror my own semi conflicted thoughts. The music definitely has something to offer a a it's actually very good at times. The female lead's voice can sound great and have an almost sultry quality to it and then on the very next song, sometimes the next verse, it can be annoying and even grating. I like the idea of a neo-prog outfit lead by a powerful female vocalist and I even think she could be that vocalist if she further refines her delivery and knocks it off with the gimmicky multiple octave signing to yelling changes.

IDK though, I look and see that they have a few full length releases under their belts and I wonder if that change is something that will happen or if we're hearing the group as it's primarily going to sound from here on out. It'll be interesting to see.

I can't believe that there's no one around this group in the studio or otherwise who hasn't given the lead singer these critiques. It seems like a pretty basic observation that I think has to have occurred to people close to the band.
I haven't listened to the other albums (but it looks like there are quite a few on Amazon, so I will get there) so I can't decide whether your theory is accurate or not about being set in their ways. But I would have to agree that SOMEONE has to have mentioned something about it to this point. After all they have toured with some moderately big names (such as Haken).

I will have to keep the query alive by listening some more. :)
@tgx78 and @samandhi I tried to post this earlier, but I guess something happened since I don't see it so I'll take a quick second to try again.

I got to listen to the Utopia 2022 and I actually managed to get a pretty long session (for CanJam anyways) if you can call it that. I actually think that the facelift Focal has given the Utopias looks pretty good and one of the sonic differences I have noticed is the increase in space abd larger soundstage that is supposed to be a result of the new, more open grille design on the 2022s.

My understanding is that the 2022 Utopias are supposed to be a more refined version of the OG Utopias and that the new/revamped driver (new voice coil IIRC) is supposed to produce increased resolution and better linearity or more neutrality. I do think I hear a little bit of that greater linearity particularly with the bass to to low mids area. I'm definitely not picking up anything beyond very, very slight differences that are so small I sometimes wonder if I'm actually hearing a difference.

I don't hear incresed resolution. Plain and simple. By the end of my time with the 2022s I found myself really thinking that a lot was being made out of a revision that, in terms of sound sig and quality, has changed very little. How much more of a difference would I have heard if I had the OGs there for A/B testing rather than just going of memories and impressions from the last? I don't know, but I feel pretty confident in saying that those who have been fans of Focal and the Utopia will continue to be fans of the 2022 version. I don't think this revision is going to convert the unconvinced who, up to now, haven't been the biggest fans of the OG Utopias, but I don't know if it was really meant to.

I'll post any other updates that occur to me as being relevant when I have a second. I just wanted to post this part while these thought were pretty fresh. Sorry if this is more or less a repost and my first attempt was successful.
Ah Nice! I have a suspicion about their new lines. I think that secretly most of their new lines are simply dressed up older versions (with maybe minor tweaks). Case in point, it is my belief that the Celestee is just the Elegia with leather pads as stock (rather than micro-fiber) and a different coat of paint, which DOES completely change the sound, but the price went up (significantly @$1700) from what the Elegia were originally ($900). I bought some Dekoni custom lambskin leather Stelia pads for mine that probably do the same thing (this might even where Focal got the idea, from the Elegia thread where MOST people were doing the same).

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings. :)

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #65,012 of 75,869
I like the idea of a neo-prog outfit lead by a powerful female vocalist and I even think she could be that vocalist if she further refines her delivery and knocks it off with the gimmicky multiple octave signing to yelling changes.
While it is not neo-prog, it is prog rock all the same, and you might enjoy this one if you haven't already heard of her (which I would find it hard to believe if you hadn't):

BTW! This whole album sounds amazing with the FF3.

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #65,013 of 75,869
Hi guys any recommendations for an IEM counterpart like the FF3s? Truthear Zero or should I just stick with FIIO alike? FD3/FH3?

No FH3. That one is just horrible. Squashed soundstage that makes everything closed in, overly smoothened sound without texture, big subbass without the tight and textured midbass to support, and the cable gets nasty after a while. My first fancy IEM, though. What was I thinking :dt880smile:

FD3 pro is better, but it has been a very long time since I last heard it, so I can’t be sure whether it is competitive nowadays anymore. Of course, it is a competent IEM.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #65,014 of 75,869
No FH3. That one is just horrible. Squashed soundstage that makes everything closed in, overly smoothened sound without texture, big subbass without the tight and textured midbass to support, and the cable gets nasty after a while. My first fancy IEM, though. What was I thinking :dt880smile:

FD3 pro is better, but it has been a very long time since I last heard it, so I can’t be sure whether it is competitive nowadays anymore. Of course, it is a competent IEM.
FH3 was also my first 'fancy' IEM. It has all those problems, yes, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for it. If you are into ASMR, that squashed soundstage has its place :thinking:

I gave it to my daughter.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #65,015 of 75,869
FH3 was also my first 'fancy' IEM. It has all those problems, yes, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for it. If you are into ASMR, that squashed soundstage has its place :thinking:

I gave it to my daughter.

Hey, me too (except the daughter part). I’m going to get it a better cable and mod it somehow. Maybe closing the front vents to boost the midbass? :thinking: That 1.2k honk is quite hard to fix though.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #65,016 of 75,869
RIOBuds becomes ! :)
DIY Project shell mx500

About shell:
This is an Open Source project! where everyone can independently print this case, buy related parts and make a candy for themselves :)
Printed on a regular FDM printer (not photopolymer).

And so, some time ago I already laid out this corpus, but there were shortcomings that needed to be corrected.
From the prototype to ... almost the final product!
There was a little time and a little bit redid some moments in the case. Firstly: comfort has become a little better; Secondly: improved acoustic properties (about them later).
What was my idea: earbuds, as a class, are very good, but I lacked that bass, dynamics and lower mids that are in in-ear headphones. In general, it is possible to make a basport in Foster (those that are MX500) cases, but sometimes it is not possible to make it accurately and large enough. In general, the idea -> implementation. What gives the shape and data of the tube? The first thing you hear: the bass is booming, thick, the beat is such that you feel it not only with the membrane, the lower middle is full, the vocals are finally not so dry, thin and lifeless! The stage is built a little wider. All this "before / after" is easily felt if you close these tubes with your finger.

Fit comfort - like foster(mx500 mean) shell.
Regarding the choice of connectors: in addition to the fact that I currently have only 2 pins, this type is closest to me because the plug is easier to remove and insert without much force (sometimes mmx are such that you can tear out the floor of the case). Also more affordable cables have better 2pin connectors than those with mmx.

Regarding the label of the channels and the (+) / (-) connector: I thought for a long time, and did not come up with anything smarter than how to make a mark (+) with a needle file at the connector, and do not mark the channels, because these ears can be worn with the cable down and behind the ear ( where it is necessary to change the headphones themselves in places because they change + and -) and just put on colored ear pads and that's it :) On the cable, they still make notes in the form of a key (a notch goes out) or a dot (means a minus).
I adjusted all the connections in size so that you don’t even need to glue anything, 2pin sits firmly in the grooves, and the speaker and the case snap into place just like in the mx500 shell- firmly, but not tightly. The amount of ball can be adjusted by adding a foam damper (horseshoe) - there will be more bass (as in the description above), without a damper - a more even sound *.
*also depends on the speaker used.

Download: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/sERm/GrGe7T9gE

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #65,017 of 75,869
While it is not neo-prog, it is prog rock all the same, and you might enjoy this one if you haven't already heard of her (which I would find it hard to believe if you hadn't):

BTW! This whole album sounds amazing with the FF3.

+1 For Tracy Bonham! She can definitely consider me a fan. Her voice and the music are legit for sure.

+2 For the Focal new lines really being a rehash. I didn't want to be controversial in the other posts, but it certainly seems that they're making very minor changes to existing products just to get Focal fans to fork over more of their money. Now I know some of those Focal guys and they'll basically tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. That the differences are huge and that my ears and/or palette must be at fault for my inability to hear it. Personally, I'll trust my ears every time.

BTW, I didn't get as much time as I would have like at CanJam and I didn't get a chance to try the iBassos (if they had them), but I have arranged to take a listen to a friend's Stellias when I see him later this week. I was just happy to grab a couple hours of fun while I could though.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #65,018 of 75,869
Fiio has released pricing for FF5. It is 150 usd. Quite expensive but if it is to be an improvement over FF3, it might worth it.
Thanks for the update! Will be in line with others here to get it.

IMG_1865.jpg

And if you are into planar the new CA Supermoon look worth hearing, along with the debuting DUNU Talos planar + BA (with a switch to turn on and off the BA). Just a couple things to try out. :)
I have been on a planar kick lately, but not because I choose to like a specific driver type over another, but because, especially in the high end market, planars are dominating the best of the best right now. I love me some dynamic drivers, but no matter how many I audition I haven't found anything that bests my current lineup, especially my ZMFs, for me.

The SuperMoons are a great suggestion. Too bad I already have a pair! 😂 I am interested to see how the Talos come out, but I do believe that I'm done with the new purchases for a bit aside from maybe a few more buds I want to try and I'm still auditioning DACs to make sure I have my audio chain for the Stealths where I want it. This year has been a good year for me financially, but I also sold almost $25k worth of drum, hifi, and head gear specifically with the intent to go out and get the best of the best for my tastes and I think I've accomplished that over the last few months. The ride has been crazy fun!

Obviously, I'm still pretty new to buds so that's not done yet and I'm always down for a good budget find when I stumble upon one. 😁

@o0genesis0o As long as the foams are readily available on the market like HieGis or something or if you're just referring to a foam of the listener's choice then I'm fine with it. I don't currently have any earbuds that I listen to foamless except maybe the Sun Dice, but I'm experimenting with that one.

It'd be much like headphone manufacturers tuning their phones with their pads in mind. That only works if the manufacturer keeps the pads available or if a robust aftermarket supply is available from third party manufacturers. That's the caveat. Making an earbud that requires a certain foam to be useable and then not providing that foam in the long term is a quick way to alienate potential loyal customers, IMO and as @samandhi said, it makes the buds useless once the foams are toast.
Would love to hear your impressions on the Supermoon! Did you get customs or one of those elusive universals? I managed to get a universal but had to get them via a source in Singapore so I will have to find an excuse to go to Singapore to pick it up!

Like you I am done with major purposes for a while especially after I just got this.

IMG_1855.jpg
Haha I'll switch to balanced for all official posts and polls so you don't have to be alone, bro!

I ALWAYS bring my DAPs, my favorite portable (the Gryphon this time), a pair or two of IEMs, a pair of phones if needed, and this year a couple pairs of buds as well when I go to CanJams. You can never be too prepared and you never know what you might run into for demoing purposes.

I will definitely keep an eye out for the iBassos for sure and will report back on them and the Stellias if I get a chance to check them out. Today when I went, I went mostly for my reserved DCA Expanse demo and I didn't have much time to wander, especially since they were behind on demo times.

Tommorow whatever time I spend there will be entirely freestyle wandering (now with the recs from you and tgx in mind) so it should be fun. I have to knock some stuff out at the studio first, but it's supposed to be a light day so if all goes well I should have a good chunk of time to dedicate to meandering through the booths, tables, and displays.
Did you manage to try the Hiby RS8. That is one interesting DAP! CJ SoCall 2022 was so interesting. Apart from the RS8, the Viking Ragnar and the Odyssey caught my attention also but alas, I am all tapped out!

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #65,022 of 75,869
My really early impression is that there's too much treble and bass doesn't hit as hard as on some of EMA, not sure if that's also a lottery on what you get as with EMA, I think it shouldn't be...

Let's hope it improves with time.

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #65,023 of 75,869
My mini-review of the tgxear Tantalus MMCX; 500ΩBery by @tgx78 has been posted over on the new TGXEAR Discussion thread here.

1663444563459.png

Wow, what a monster! I suspect that these earbuds have to sound really good to make an effort and use that cable ? :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 19, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #65,025 of 75,869
Smells like.... Female poison tuning... 😐😐😐
From the EMX product page, this doesn't look like Female poisin tuning. According to TRN It's supposed to be well balanced with good bass response.
I guess whoever purchased should reach out to TRN and see what they have to say.

S572a1e5324424370bd133bbef1ee38cb4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back