Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #64,846 of 75,538
I think you need to start that club! I’d sign up.

Maybe I should start an "Oddiophile Club Thread" for everyone who loves music, but whose views don't always jive with traditional audiophile thinking. I'm gonna have to refine this idea. I don't want to go off half-cocked and burn the idea...🤔💡

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #64,847 of 75,538
The other day, I suddenly thought “why must headphones sound like good speakers in a good room”?

Anyhow, I personally believe that a good target for head-fi gear needs ear gain and controlled bass boost to compensate for the form factor. How much to boost is debatable. Any other form of target sounds wrong to me somehow (think of weird flat tuning of JH, old school tuning of Sennheiser IE300 and IE900, honky 1.25k boost of Westone MACH20, 30,40). I also believe that 10-12k dip is a must to avoid metallic timbre and create holographic illusion.

The good thing about dynamic drivers nowadays is that they usually have those characteristics built in. That’s why singing about “well tuned budget IEM” is kind of … meh to me. Give me good technical performance for a low price. That’s the real challenge.
This is exactly where we are as far as I can tell only I’d scoot that notch down a little bit to match my experimental results (From a tonal accuracy perspective though it’s close to inconsequential at those frequencies). Spacially, there is some significance there for sure. I couldn’t have said it any better.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #64,848 of 75,538
Maybe I should start an "Oddiophile Club Thread" for everyone who loves music, but whose views don't always jive with traditional audiophile thinking. I'm gonna have to refine this idea. I don't want to go off half-cocked and burn the idea...🤔💡
Sounds like a great start! You need at least one nerd though. Someone has to sit in a tower somewhere and devise the calendar after the great Armageddon. No shortage of those round here 😆

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #64,849 of 75,538
How is Yinman 600 ohms timbre and sound signature compared to ToneKing with a few different Ohms earphones?

This is a generalization, but Toneking generally leans brighter with an airier an more boosted treble, the amount and depth of bass differ from model to model quite a bit IME, but tends to be fast and articulate, and the mids lean towards the upper mids.

The Yinman 600s are significantly warmer with more bass, more linear mid range that, if anything, give preference to the low mid warmth though I think that's very slight, and the treble is polite and controlled.

I hope that helps!

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #64,850 of 75,538
Recently I wanted to try some headphones just to have some alternatives when listening to music or gaming. What caught my eye was the Edifier Hecate GX. Hecate is like Edifier's sub brand for gaming peripherals and I think it would've been a good buy if I haven't have owned the FIIO FF3s first haha! The bass reproduction of the FF3 is just so good and at times has a wider soundstage than my headphones haha!

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #64,851 of 75,538
This is exactly where we are as far as I can tell only I’d scoot that notch down a little bit to match my experimental results (From a tonal accuracy perspective though it’s close to inconsequential at those frequencies). Spacially, there is some significance there for sure. I couldn’t have said it any better.
I also want to add: I only jokingly disparage the Harman Curve. It’s good to have a standard. I’d rather have a better standard, but it’s a starting point. It always bothered me that they used a notoriously low rez sounding IEM to start the test with and their starting point makes little sense from the available experimental data. Their data looks like it came from a headless dummy. How do they not have a head shadow from a stereo source?

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #64,852 of 75,538
This is a generalization, but Toneking generally leans brighter with an airier an more boosted treble, the amount and depth of bass differ from model to model quite a bit IME, but tends to be fast and articulate, and the mids lean towards the upper mids.

The Yinman 600s are significantly warmer with more bass, more linear mid range that, if anything, give preference to the low mid warmth though I think that's very slight, and the treble is polite and controlled.

I hope that helps!
Thanks for the quick insight~. Seems like there's no major differences in both of them. Just the shell material and design would be taking into concern. Both of them are generally categorized into Bright & Warm sound signature.

I came across a review between different ohms performance vs suitable music genre in Toneking. As 180 ohm, 200 ohm, 400 ohm to 600 ohm. The reviewer mentioned 200 Ohm would be all rounder the best choice in any types of music. Just the higher Ohm would deliver more details in each areas.

I am curious what you guys can benefit from Higher impedance earphones actually as it might need a proper DAC for the best perfection performance.
It seems like a more complex earphones to 16/32 Ohms Premium Earphones which is easy to drive.

Are there any significant contrast between High Impedance Earphones vs Low Impedance Premium Earphones (Minus the price tag) ?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #64,853 of 75,538
The other day, I suddenly thought “why must headphones sound like good speakers in a good room”?

Anyhow, I personally believe that a good target for head-fi gear needs ear gain and controlled bass boost to compensate for the form factor. How much to boost is debatable. Any other form of target sounds wrong to me somehow (think of weird flat tuning of JH, old school tuning of Sennheiser IE300 and IE900, honky 1.25k boost of Westone MACH20, 30,40). I also believe that 10-12k dip is a must to avoid metallic timbre and create holographic illusion.

The good thing about dynamic drivers nowadays is that they usually have those characteristics built in. That’s why singing about “well tuned budget IEM” is kind of … meh to me. Give me good technical performance for a low price. That’s the real challenge.
This statement comes to my personal "chasing the best sound for my ears" before i got myself into the Headphones's hunting.
I was a kid listened to my dad mini Home Hifi with its Technics bookshelves amped with Sansui amplifier. It is Bright & Warm sounding to me obviously. You can hearing all the detail, impactful drums and so on. All these music information which lies inside a quality built Dynamic driver headphone with Bright & Warm sound.

That was the Sound i used to live with since childhood.

And later on with Laid-back/Veiled/Dark sound signature which was a new sound signature from Sennheiser Hd650 i auditioned for the first time. It was unique to me and i didn't know what i should do to immerse myself into this new introducing sound atmosphere.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #64,854 of 75,538
It appears that the Smabat M4 items that I recently ordered, have cleared US Customs.
So, they should be delivered sometime during the next week.
Mine cleared Monday so I'm waiting anxiously as well! Good luck, man! 🤞
Mine are at the local delivery facility according to AE tracking, but USPS has not updated their status for them for a few days. That generally means they will just show up, THEN the tracking information will be updated. I would imagine I should get them either today, or tomorrow....
I am curious what you guys can benefit from Higher impedance earphones actually as it might need a proper DAC for the best perfection performance.
It seems like a more complex earphones to 16/32 Ohms Premium Earphones which is easy to drive.
I posted this a few days ago regarding high impedance drivers (and their benefits over their equivalent counterparts). Also, keep in mind that this is NOT talking about the makers that "cheat" and simply use a resistor to boost the impedance (and from others talking to me, more do it than you think).

High impedance versions, compared to their counterparts, use thinner wires in the voice coil, which means more turns since you can pack more in a smaller space. In addition, you still get a lower moving mass which creates a stronger electromagnetic field. But, of course, this means that to produce motion in the voice coil's wire, you will need more power.

However, the headphones can deliver higher audio levels since their stronger field reduces distortion, ensuring you can better pick up different frequencies.

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #64,855 of 75,538
It might be that the ST10S do indeed have a peak there, where the ST20, and Pro might be more linear; boosted still, but linear. This might make it sound more natural to an ear that is not so sensitive to that area. I can tolerate that boost more if it is linear, but it still gets to me either way.

The ST10S are perceived as having a bit less boost only because of their boosted bass. But I can also hear that peak when using any volume level higher than normal levels, and on certain music (Alice in Chains, Judas Priest, etc...).

When you are talking about the ST10S, are you referring to the Black & Gold, or the Black & Silver version? Those DO make a difference from all that I have read about them. Of course when I speak of boosted bass, I am referring to the ones I currently own, which is the B&G (150Ti driver).
I have the ST10 s Black Gold, very detailed, not for bad recordings, they remember me the Senn hd800, but with more bass :gs1000smile:
The ST20 pro also very detailed, if the recording is not good then is what you got, especially on highs.
Both difficult to drive, need to raise volume the double than with the ST20 no-pro. I always do listen at medium low volume.
With the ST20's need to consider the form, subjective, I have narrow ears and can insert with no problem, e.g. LLBS don't fit at all with me. To keep them steady I bought a cable with memory wire at connector that keeps them attached very well, vast improvement.

All of them have the quality and amount of bass I can't find in any other earbuds. The ST20 pro have great extension, especially on treble, I'd recommend only for top quality recordings and proper amp, mostly I use the XD05 bal due portability, is ok, but are even better with headphones amplifier with a couple of watt.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #64,856 of 75,538
I have the ST10 s Black Gold, very detailed, not for bad recordings, they remember me the Senn hd800, but with more bass :gs1000smile:
The ST20 pro also very detailed, if the recording is not good then is what you got, especially on highs.
Both difficult to drive, need to raise volume the double than with the ST20 no-pro. I always do listen at medium low volume.
With the ST20's need to consider the form, subjective, I have narrow ears and can insert with no problem, e.g. LLBS don't fit at all with me. To keep them steady I bought a cable with wire at connector that keeps them attached very well, vast improvement.

All of them have the quality and amount of bass I can't find in any other earbuds.
Thanks for your sharing! :)

To my ears the Super One (100ohm bio) driver for the M2s Pro is similar to the 150Ti they use in the ST10S B&G, but is overall a bit more balanced. Really, if you don't mind a boosted pina gain, all of their drivers are pretty top notch IMO.

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #64,857 of 75,538
Thanks for your sharing! :)

To my ears the Super One (100ohm bio) driver for the M2s Pro is similar to the 150Ti they use in the ST10S B&G, but is overall a bit more balanced. Really, if you don't mind a boosted pina gain, all of their drivers are pretty top notch IMO.
Honestly i don't have any problem with the ST20 pro, apart some bad recordings. But for example I hated the Sennheiser hd800, trebles killed me.

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #64,858 of 75,538
Honestly i don't have any problem with the ST20 pro, apart some bad recordings. But for example I hated the Sennheiser hd800, trebles killed me.
Then, it would seem that you and @JAnonymous5150 are alike in this matter (being impervious to the shouty/shrill nature that a boosted pina gain brings). Lucky dogs! LOL

As for me, I am not sensitive to boosted treble of any kind (though I don't like unnatural sound, or actual sibilance with S and the like). I just don't like it, but it doesn't hurt my ears (even with the Munson curve on added volume).

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #64,859 of 75,538
You could try the Watercooler thread for a different take on music and iems. My two favourite threads on head-fi is this Earbuds and the Watercooler.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #64,860 of 75,538
Hello, bud lovers! After my last post inquiring about the FF3, I ended up ordering a pair and have been listening to the hell out of them. They feel like a great complement to my Shozy BK and Newbsound 32x and I'm so glad I gave them a shot.

I'm trying to content myself with what I have, but curiosity is getting the better of me and I wanted to ask you all for a recommendation. My very favorite sound in music is the acoustic guitar. I love the way the instrument sounds with my existing buds, especially the BK and the FF3, but I'm curious to hear from people here if there's a bud you'd recommend above all others for acoustic music. I'm willing to entertain some TOTL recommendations.

Also, does anyone have a source for those plastic prophylactics some buds ship with to protect the plug?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back