Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 16, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #64,861 of 75,525
Hello, bud lovers! After my last post inquiring about the FF3, I ended up ordering a pair and have been listening to the hell out of them. They feel like a great complement to my Shozy BK and Newbsound 32x and I'm so glad I gave them a shot.

I'm trying to content myself with what I have, but curiosity is getting the better of me and I wanted to ask you all for a recommendation. My very favorite sound in music is the acoustic guitar. I love the way the instrument sounds with my existing buds, especially the BK and the FF3, but I'm curious to hear from people here if there's a bud you'd recommend above all others for acoustic music. I'm willing to entertain some TOTL recommendations.

Also, does anyone have a source for those plastic prophylactics some buds ship with to protect the plug?

Thanks!
I'd recommend the Serratus or Alpha from @tgx78. TOTL timbre, tuning, and stage. Instruments sound truly organic

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #64,862 of 75,525
Hello, bud lovers! After my last post inquiring about the FF3, I ended up ordering a pair and have been listening to the hell out of them. They feel like a great complement to my Shozy BK and Newbsound 32x and I'm so glad I gave them a shot.

I'm trying to content myself with what I have, but curiosity is getting the better of me and I wanted to ask you all for a recommendation. My very favorite sound in music is the acoustic guitar. I love the way the instrument sounds with my existing buds, especially the BK and the FF3, but I'm curious to hear from people here if there's a bud you'd recommend above all others for acoustic music. I'm willing to entertain some TOTL recommendations.

Also, does anyone have a source for those plastic prophylactics some buds ship with to protect the plug?

Thanks!

Having never heard the recommendations @ttorbic made, I can only give you some more mainstream recommendations. My favorite earbud for acoustic guitar based music is the Symphonio Dragon 3 on which that kind of music sounds simply sublime. The guitar's each and every note sounds vibrantly realistic and well formed. The timbre, note weight, and presentation are all dead on. The Dragon 3s are quite expensive so I will also say that the Yincrow RW-3000s are also an incredible match with acoustic guitar, lending a depth and musicality that's pretty addictive.

As for the plastic protectors you're asking about, are you refering to the little plastic cylinders that are open at one end that manufacturers use as sheaths to cover the metal tip that actually goes inside a headphone jack on a source for example?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #64,863 of 75,525
Having never heard the recommendations @ttorbic made, I can only give you some more mainstream recommendations. My favorite earbud for acoustic guitar based music is the Symphonio Dragon 3 on which that kind of music sounds simply sublime. The guitar's each and every note sounds vibrantly realistic and well formed. The timbre, note weight, and presentation are all dead on. The Dragon 3s are quite expensive so I will also say that the Yincrow RW-3000s are also an incredible match with acoustic guitar, lending a depth and musicality that's pretty addictive.
Thank you!
As for the plastic protectors you're asking about, are you refering to the little plastic cylinders that are open at one end that manufacturers use as sheaths to cover the metal tip that actually goes inside a headphone jack on a source for example?
Yep, those are the ones. I keep misplacing the ones that've come with my buds and I like to have them handy when I'm traveling.

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #64,864 of 75,525
Yep, those are the ones. I keep misplacing the ones that've come with my buds and I like to have them handy when I'm traveling.

Unfortunately I don't have a source aside from buying new cables which seems excessive just to get one of those plastic tip sheaths lol! TBH, I don't use them anyways. When I get back home I can look to see if I have some saved (I think I do). What size(s) are you looking for?

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #64,865 of 75,525

Thanks!

They've been mentioned already but the best I have heard for acoustic music (and instrumental music in general) is the Serratus and the Alpha. The Alpha provides greater noteweight and better imaging but less transparency and subbass extension (note I have an early version that is less bass accented so my comparison may be off slightly). I would say the Alpha sounds more 'natural' for guitar with a little hint of warmth and is more midfocused. Serratus gets you further with lower power sources. You can't go wrong with either provided you have the right source/amp.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #64,866 of 75,525

Thanks!
I'm seeing some good recommendations here. As for me I would wholeheartedly recommend the Moondrop Chaconne. These don't have the warmth that others are talking about. Rather, they have absolute clarity, and you can hear every pluck, and harmonic, and movement of fingers on the frets, and a mouse breathing... hehe

Sep 16, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #64,867 of 75,525
@JAnonymous5150, the theoretical advantage of using high impedance voicecoils is better control over the voicecoil and thus diaphragm. More turns of wire, more motor strength. Similar to using Aluminum voicecoils. Aluminum gives you the lightest weight per conductivity so they outperform copper in that regard. You can get more turns, more strength, and retain a lower impedance. FiiO uses aluminum as does the Tingo TG38 and many other buds.

Sep 16, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #64,868 of 75,525
@JAnonymous5150, the theoretical advantage of using high impedance voicecoils is better control over the voicecoil and thus diaphragm. More turns of wire, more motor strength. Similar to using Aluminum voicecoils. Aluminum gives you the lightest weight per conductivity so they outperform copper in that regard. You can get more turns, more strength, and retain a lower impedance. FiiO uses aluminum as does the Tingo TG38 and many other buds.

Yeah, I know. That's a good explanation of it. Nice and succinct. Did I get drunk and ask about this without remembering? LOL

Sep 16, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #64,869 of 75,525
Yeah, I know. That's a good explanation of it. Nice and succinct. Did I get drunk and ask about this without remembering? LOL
LOL—nope. It was @dinodogJR. I’m not sure why I thought it was you. I am sober LOL

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #64,871 of 75,525
You could try the Watercooler thread for a different take on music and iems. My two favourite threads on head-fi is this Earbuds and the Watercooler.

Watercooler is an expensive place to hang out, with all the talk about the bird and the jewel :dt880smile:

So if all things are identical (e.g., different versions of Beyerdynamic Dt990), higher impedance drivers tend to expose better resolution across the frequency range?

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #64,872 of 75,525
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #64,873 of 75,525
Thanks for your sharing! :)

To my ears the Super One (100ohm bio) driver for the M2s Pro is similar to the 150Ti they use in the ST10S B&G, but is overall a bit more balanced. Really, if you don't mind a boosted pina gain, all of their drivers are pretty top notch IMO.
I just received the M4 Super One drivers today and man, they deliver the goods! Thanks to you I don't even have to describe how they sound because you already nailed it.

Now it's just wait for more feedback / impressions from the guys waiting on their M4 deliveries.

Edit: Damn, been extremely busy with work this week and now I have to read plenty of pages to catch back up.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #64,874 of 75,525
LOL—nope. It was @dinodogJR. I’m not sure why I thought it was you. I am sober LOL
@Ronion I read that i do think you are replied to my High Impedance Lower price earphones vs Low Impedance Premium Earphones.
As i read from article about High Impedance with 'more turns of wires' create the higher density so the sound resolution would be higher.

Now there's Aluminum vs Copper voicecoils where Lower Impedance form by Aluminum voicecoils could achieve the Similar resolution compared to Higher Impedance form by Copper voicecoil.

Now the final thing is their shell material built, design aesthetic and price wise from both sides.
As a consumer just knowing our cash are paying for the aesthetic design if we are opt for the Premium earphones.

May I conclude the higher impedance ohm with "lower quality built & looks" is possible to achieve the overall sound quality from a Premium Earphones?
Yinman 600 = Yinrow RW3000 as a sample.
Both are in Bright & warm sound signature as i read from you guys input despite the premium material built quality in RW3000.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #64,875 of 75,525
May I conclude the higher impedance ohm with "lower quality built & looks" is possible to achieve the overall sound quality from a Premium Earphones?
yes, but you’ll probably have to DIY. You can definitely DIY a premium 300-600Ohm bud for under $50 USD. You may have to go a bit over if you opt for a metal shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back