Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 15, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #64,816 of 75,235
But didn't they line up well with the FiiO over that frequency range on your rig?

Not this one. This is the one that I drilled two extra bass vents behind the horse shoes (in addition to the usual bass hole at the back). I would not do this mod again. Not only it is hard to do it consistently, it seems to boost the mud region rather than extending bass response.

I’ll try stuffing some foams to reduce the air going though those bass holes first and see how it goes. If it is still bad, I’ll desolder and make another pair.

Edit: @Ronion

measurements.jpg

Just like what you said, the effect of adding more holes at the back of the driver is actually reducing ear gain. When I align everything around 1k, it's clear that losing ear gain + adding a couple db in the mud region makes all the difference. It's also interesting to see that FF3 actually has a lot lower midrange, but balance everything out smoothly with extra ear gain.

Tonality / tuning is ... interesting. Changing one part, even a couple db, can have butterfly effect across the whole range and the perception of the sound.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #64,817 of 75,235
IMG_2367.jpg

Fiio FF3 - Indomitable.

With all the buzzes about DIY earbuds, I haven't used FF3 in a while. After the humbling experience with GEM001, I rebuild the buds and A/B it against FF3. In the end, I have to say: hats off to Fiio's engineers for excellent tuning and especially the bass. FF3's ear gain pierces through the lower midrange like hot knife through butter, without getting too hot piercing. At the same time, the bass hits deep with full of articulation and texture. My buds were fine by themselves, but next to FF3, it's clearly that there is a lot to learn and experience ahead :dt880smile:

Hopefully my review for FF3 would be complete by this weekends.

A complete set of Smabat M4 hopefully would arrive next month. Can't wait to measure all of the drivers.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #64,818 of 75,235
IMG_2367.jpg

Fiio FF3 - Indomitable.

With all the buzzes about DIY earbuds, I haven't used FF3 in a while. After the humbling experience with GEM001, I rebuild the buds and A/B it against FF3. In the end, I have to say: hats off to Fiio's engineers for excellent tuning and especially the bass. FF3's ear gain pierces through the lower midrange like hot knife through butter, without getting too hot piercing. At the same time, the bass hits deep with full of articulation and texture. My buds were fine by themselves, but next to FF3, it's clearly that there is a lot to learn and experience ahead :dt880smile:

A complete set of Smabat M4 hopefully would arrive next month. Can't wait to measure all of the drivers.

You only started with the DIY and tried only one driver. Have fun continuing your DIY journey 😎.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #64,819 of 75,235
I hear the peak with the ST10s, not with the ST20 and ST20 pro.
It might be that the ST10S do indeed have a peak there, where the ST20, and Pro might be more linear; boosted still, but linear. This might make it sound more natural to an ear that is not so sensitive to that area. I can tolerate that boost more if it is linear, but it still gets to me either way.

The ST10S are perceived as having a bit less boost only because of their boosted bass. But I can also hear that peak when using any volume level higher than normal levels, and on certain music (Alice in Chains, Judas Priest, etc...).

When you are talking about the ST10S, are you referring to the Black & Gold, or the Black & Silver version? Those DO make a difference from all that I have read about them. Of course when I speak of boosted bass, I am referring to the ones I currently own, which is the B&G (150Ti driver).

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #64,820 of 75,235
Tonality / tuning is ... interesting. Changing one part, even a couple db, can have butterfly effect across the whole range and the perception of the sound.
It really does! It’s like a Zen Master-type thing: achieving balance.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #64,821 of 75,235
Well, My lil' M0 arrived today (WOW it came from China very fast). I gotta' say it pushes my FQL Grand Finale (150Ti) pretty well, though there isn't a TON of headroom. Comfortable listening levels for this one is about 70 of 100. But they sound pretty good for a cheaper DAC/amp. I can definitely tell it is a lesser quality sound than my other DAPs, but for only $100, I will not complain (being able to play hi-res files). This will be great for my wife (and I didn't have to pay $500-$1K for it)... :) I am pleased (and may have to carry it around for a time to.... break it in. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :thumbsup::beerchug:

20220915_113746.jpg

20220915_113801.jpg

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #64,822 of 75,235
Well, My lil' M0 arrived today (WOW it came from China very fast). I gotta' say it pushes my FQL Grand Finale (150Ti) pretty well, though there isn't a TON of headroom. Comfortable listening levels for this one is about 70 of 100. But they sound pretty good for a cheaper DAC/amp. I can definitely tell it is a lesser quality sound than my other DAPs, but for only $100, I will not complain (being able to play hi-res files). This will be great for my wife (and I didn't have to pay $500-$1K for it)... :) I am pleased (and may have to carry it around for a time to.... break it in. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :thumbsup::beerchug:

20220915_113746.jpg
20220915_113801.jpg

A piece of advice, DON'T tell her that you assessed it's audio quality as lower quality than YOUR daps, but good enough for HER or you'll end up spending that extra cash on a better one for her lol! Just say it has great sound in small form fact that you saw and immediately thought was perfect for her. That way you'll come off as the thoughtful guy who was thinking about her and got her a present you think she'll like.😍👍

And I didn't know DAC chips and electronic circuits needed burn in. That's so nice of you to get all the unbalanced bad sound out of it for her! 😜

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #64,823 of 75,235
A piece of advice, DON'T tell her that you assessed it's audio quality as lower quality than YOUR daps, but good enough for HER or you'll end up spending that extra cash on a better one for her lol! Just say it has great sound in small form fact that you saw and immediately thought was perfect for her. That way you'll come off as the thoughtful guy who was thinking about her and got her a present you think she'll like.😍👍
That is certainly some very good advice. Some that I will adhere to for sure. :angel: :smiling_imp:
And I didn't know DAC chips and electronic circuits needed burn in. That's so nice of you to get all the unbalanced bad sound out of it for her! 😜
Oh yes! It is a big thing, if you didn't know. :upside_down:

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #64,824 of 75,235
Couple new things arrived and joined my growin stable of buds:

1. Longyao Yinman 600
2. tgxear Alpha

Love them both!
Alpha is like a slightly warmer Serratus with less subbass extension and more mid focus. Very good complement to Serratus - vocals and mids are an absolute joy!
And Yinman 600 is just straight up pleasant to listen to! Warmer than Alpha and with more bass extension. Not quite as separated or open but very enjoyable to just listen to!

Unfortunately, my Yinman 600 has channels flipped (left channel marked R, right marked L). Gonna message AVVCK Store to see if they'll make up for this....

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #64,825 of 75,235
And Yinman 600 is just straight up pleasant to listen to! Warmer than Alpha and with more bass extension. Not quite as separated or open but very enjoyable to just listen to!
What sort of source and power are you driving them with?

1. Longyao Yinman 600
2. tgxear Alpha
Congrats on your new shinies! :)
Unfortunately, my Yinman 600 has channels flipped (left channel marked R, right marked L). Gonna message AVVCK Store to see if they'll make up for this....
Do let us know how that works out for you?!

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #64,826 of 75,235

1. Longyao Yinman 600
2. tgxear Alpha

Love them both!
Alpha is like a slightly warmer Serratus with less subbass extension and more mid focus. Very good complement to Serratus - vocals and mids are an absolute joy!

Enjoy!

What type of wooden box did they come in? A nicely finished wooden box or a roughly made wooden coffin?

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #64,827 of 75,235
My Smabat M4 arrived today with a pair of 150Ω drivers. Initial impressions:
  • The housing is really nice, aesthetically and in percieved build quality. Comfort is OK, about the same as MX500 shells.
  • The cable is ideal for buds: light and supple. Not quite as nice as the Timeless stock cable but very similar in appearance and feel.
  • The 40Ω driver is fairly V-shaped, but the bass does not extend as very far making things sound hollow(?). Also unexpectedly hard to drive. Slightly disappointed with performance given the price.
  • The 150Ω driver adds bass extension and makes things sound richer/more full. Definitely the better of the two.
I'll need more listening time to compare with my go-to pair, the Penon PAC earbuds which to my ears sound very simliar to the Yincrow X-6 with a touch more bass extension and quantity.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #64,828 of 75,235
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tgxear-discussion-thread.964894/

1663274656139.png

I figure I would post about this in here since you guys are bud fans. These are substantial like you wouldn't believe. They are the creation from a fellow headfier that has spent years modding and honing down IEMs and speakers. Find out more about these on their dedicated thread.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #64,830 of 75,235

Fiio FF3 - Indomitable.

Every time I plug them in I’m impressed. The fact that they got so much resolution from low impedance drivers and a deep, articulate, punchy bass with a great soundstage. It’s a keeper. There’s something delicious in the midrange too. This is the sort of thing that confounds me: what measurements show that? I literally haven’t seen any literature on it. I have some guesses, but I’ve read others guesses and I know there’s no research to support them…. I don’t assume I’m smarter than they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back