Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #64,786 of 75,540
So I haven't owned a pair of earbuds since high school, and I won't mention how long that's been. I was intrigued by a couple reviews of the FF3 and wanted to try them, so picked up a pair which arrived yesterday. I will say, I'm impressed with what I'm hearing so far, using only the donut style covers, listening off a fiio x7m2.

Some of the positives:

Great impact - as mentioned earlier, drums sound powerful and hard hitting. Great "thump" factor.
Soundstage - I was listening to some classical, and a singer was responding from far stage right. It made me look to find him.
Comfort - one reason I wanted to try an earbud is that my ears begin to hurt with larger iems after a bit. I'm a big fan of the Monarch mk2,
but it begins to hurt my ear after an hour. No discomfort, and no issues with these slipping out of my ears.

I'll say that at a higher volume level the treble did get a bit hot for me on some tracks, which I didn't expect based on the previous reviews I'd read. I'll also say that the mid range tonality is good, but a step down from some of my over ear favorites. But hey, this is a great piece of gear for around $100.
Congratz on your new shiny! :) I hope you are glad you (re-made) the plunge into buds?!

I think you might be hearing upper mids, rather than hot treble because these are actually a tad bit laid back in the treble area. Try using the bass foams. You would be surprised at how much this is tamed with those ( I was totally shocked by it).

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #64,787 of 75,540
Congratz on your new shiny! :) I hope you are glad you (re-made) the plunge into buds?!

I think you might be hearing upper mids, rather than hot treble because these are actually a tad bit laid back in the treble area. Try using the bass foams. You would be surprised at how much this is tamed with those ( I was totally shocked by it).
Buds are a good fit for my work system because they're easy to take in an out if I have to make a call (as opposed to my current headphone set up or iems) and they're comfortable. I'll keep tweaking things a bit!

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #64,788 of 75,540
Buds are a good fit for my work system because they're easy to take in an out if I have to make a call (as opposed to my current headphone set up or iems) and they're comfortable. I'll keep tweaking things a bit!
Do keep up up to date?! :)

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #64,789 of 75,540
As I read that Fiio FF3 can consider as Laid back sound signature from a review. How the Drums sound performance is interesting in FF3. Do you guys feels it is so realistic or just impactful than most premium earphones that couldn't achieve?

"Are you an earbuds lover but also want them to have a bass close to an in-ears performance? FF3 might be for you. The bass is simply one of, if not, the best in their price range, bested only by their bigger brother, the EM5. The FF3 is also suited for those who are treble sensitive as they have a slightly dark and warm sound that is fatigue free. Detail freaks out there might find the FF3 a little lacking in this area as they are more to an laid-back signature. The FF3 robustness is also suited for everyday carry earbuds and to anywhere as well."

https://audiomonsta.com/fiio-ff3-beats-like-a-drum/
Funny, I have them both, but for my ears the FF3's base is way more impactful than the EM5s.

I also focus a lot on percussion when I'm listening, and FF3s are great for that. Like the double bass pedal in BabyMetal tracks.

Or even just taiko drumming. The air feels like it's being moved.

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #64,790 of 75,540
Guess who's lifetime supply of Fiio Bass Foams showed up today? This guy! 😁🤘
I also got my shipment last week, but instead of 10 balanced foams I got 6 bass foams.

The customer service was great though, and they are resending my real order. If any of you get 10 balanced foams instead of your 6 bass, that was my order :p

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #64,791 of 75,540
Funny, I have them both, but for my ears the FF3's base is way more impactful than the EM5s.

I also focus a lot on percussion when I'm listening, and FF3s are great for that. Like the double bass pedal in BabyMetal tracks.

Or even just taiko drumming. The air feels like it's being moved.

Very nice! I agree BTW. They've got the mid bass just right on these. I only wish they went as deep as the Yinmans, or if the Yinmans had that slam of the FF3...

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #64,792 of 75,540
Grand Archer 1 is here guys. Out of the box, I love how it make me tap my table 😅. Not suitable for male vocal, sounds really good with female and instrumental track. Will update more after burn in period.

I think it has similiar tonality with LBBs and Chaconne, neutral with small tilt towards bright. Only has Grand Archer bass and imaging is a bit better.

Attachments

• IMG-20220914-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20220914-WA0025.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #64,793 of 75,540
IMG_2365.jpeg

IMG_2366.jpeg

Listening tonight with my Frankenstein buds and newly arrived Shanling UP4.

Formula for the Franken buds:
With these, you will will have a pair of buds that sounds neutral-ish, articulate but nimble bass (not much mid bass, sounds kind of like BA-bass, tbh), and a bit more mid-treble (8k). Vocal is forward. Soundstage is wide but not very deep (still better than IEMs). Resolution is adequate, but not jaw dropping, not even as good as Blessing 2. You should replace the YD30 drivers with something bassier.

Sep 14, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #64,795 of 75,540
I think the Smabat ST20 is a good performer especially in the low end and it has a wide stage. I wish it wasn't such a hassle to fit.

IMO ST20 is an insane tuning, my ear is not capable of supporting it

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #64,798 of 75,540
I concur with this assessment. (keep in mind I am going from memory here, as I haven't heard the Grado sound for some time but) the RW3000 do indeed sound the most like Grados "house" sound IIRC, of the ones recommended.
Grado lover here as well :) I would add the pk150 or infamous Blur Wraith to that. the sound, staging, minimal but right bass in the right times is a close call to the Grado sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back