Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 19, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #61,951 of 75,859
Jul 19, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #61,952 of 75,859
How would you describe the subbass of the X6 ? Does it (audibly) reach 35Hz ? Or is there a significant roll out ?
I found this link for Vido:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32834600024.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.4ab87da7crJcVU&pdp_npi=2@dis!EUR!€ 6,06!€ 4,84!!!!!@2101e9d416582580498801970e965c!65075825439!sh

Is this what you meant ? Or do you have a better link ?

Thank you very much
I know I’ve graphed the X6 (same as Vido) and it definitely does not go down to 35Hz in my ear mold measuring rig. I believe it was more like 90Hz, maybe an 80Hz f3 with regular medium density foams socks on. The link is to Vidos, but I know you could find them for half that price a few months ago. Not sure if you are looking at an expensive store or just inflation.

Hope that helps. I’d show you the graphs but that would require to fire up the computer.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #61,953 of 75,859
There’s been some talks of late about wearing earbuds without foams and lack of bass. I thought I should post a graph I made about the differences in bass and pinna gain when applying foam around your buds:
1658269187834.jpeg

Changing foam density will change the degree of differences as well as extension on both ends. A 5dB change simultaneously on both ends is fairly profound. Especially that low Q change in the low end. Absolutely changes the character of your buds.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #61,954 of 75,859
There’s been some talks of late about wearing earbuds without foams and lack of bass. I thought I should post a graph I made about the differences in bass and pinna gain when applying foam around your buds:

Changing foam density will change the degree of differences as well as extension on both ends. A 5dB change simultaneously on both ends is fairly profound. Especially that low Q change in the low end. Absolutely changes the character of your buds.
So, I assume that the larger quantity of bass on your graph is the w/foam reading? Is this with Hegi or something similar, or with stock foams?

That is more of a boost that I thought I heard with and without. That is fantastic!

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #61,955 of 75,859
They are just stock foams. HeiGi tend to change the shape in a similar manor but they reduce treble even further as well as deep bass. I’m not sure if that’s something unique to my rig and the way the thicker, less compressible, higher density foam sits in it, or of it’s some other unique acoustic impedance problem d/t the foam’s density. There are definitely drivers that give you deeper bass with less acoustic impedance, where others get deeper with more impedance. Every driver I’ve tried with HeiGi have the same reaction in My rig—less treble, less bass, but ai haven’t tested them all.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #61,956 of 75,859
They are just stock foams. HeiGi tend to change the shape in a similar manor but they reduce treble even further as well as deep bass. I’m not sure if that’s something unique to my rig and the way the thicker, less compressible, higher density foam sits in it, or of it’s some other unique acoustic impedance problem d/t the foam’s density. There are definitely drivers that give you deeper bass with less acoustic impedance, where others get deeper with more impedance. Every driver I’ve tried with HeiGi have the same reaction in My rig—less treble, less bass, but ai haven’t tested them all.
That is very interesting. I had no idea the effect could be so much. What do donuts (foam, and even silicone) do? I would assume it would increase bass, but not touch the treble????

Jul 19, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #61,958 of 75,859
That is very interesting. I had no idea the effect could be so much. What do donuts (foam, and even silicone) do? I would assume it would increase bass, but not touch the treble????
Unfortunately donuts don’t work so well in my rig. It has no skin oils, and just halfway rips them off so I can’t get a good measurement. I have tried… I also tried the silicone on the ST20 pro and it actually made no measurable difference though it was more stable and repeatable.
Has anyone heard the new Toneking TO 300s? On sale on Ali. Described as for 'symphony concert'.

S637454a378c144928f66fe02c5c1c58dk.jpg
No, but I think the look the part! Hopefully someone out there can give up the scoop.

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #61,959 of 75,859
New here and looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Checking in to comment on the TGXEar models I have. I hadn’t had earbuds since the old Apple ones and had really thought iems had supplanted them until a few months ago at a small meet @tgx78 asked me what I thought of one of his creations and I was very surprised how good they sounded. As he refined his buds I bought the Tio Lake, then Serratus and most recently the Tantalus.
The Tio Lake we’re a nice efficient all-rounder but moving to the Serratus was a similar tuning but refined in every way. I have a nice Burson amp that gives them tons of power as they really scale in quality from the Cayin RU6 dongle I had.
Just last week I got the Tantalus after having a prototype for a couple months and the production model is just excellent. It’s got a warmish tuning that excels at timbre. Vocals are supreme with great realism with a sparkle of treble detail that lends great imaging cues and a precise intimate stage.

To me the Serratus and Tantalus are a great one-two punch, complementing each other. The Serratus has leaner mids with a grander stage that is very clean sounding which I choose for busier music. For smaller ensembles or solo instruments or vocal centric music I tend to reach for the Tantalus.

Overall I’m super impressed with these earbuds..

**.edit. I should add that I was surprised how extended the bass is, particularly on the Serratus. Coming from iems I thought that not having a seal, like with ear tips, I didn’t expect the clean and extended bass that I was hearing.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #61,960 of 75,859
So I've read through the very start and end of the thread,
and I want to know what people's favourite earbuds nowadays are and their availability.
I've bought a pair of VE Monk Plus and am hoping that they're atleast indicative of good because my ears are very picky with fit and sound.

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #61,961 of 75,859
and I want to know what people's favourite earbuds nowadays are and their availability.
I've bought a pair of VE Monk Plus and am hoping that they're atleast indicative of good because my ears are very picky with fit and sound.
Wow, that's quite a feat!

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #61,962 of 75,859
If you are a difficult fit, I’d personally look into a PK or ‘Lite’ shell. I really only know the DIY PK and as far as I know the best available is from Blur: the PK32.

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #61,963 of 75,859
Thought it might be fun to share this photo inside the JVC HA-F105 and hopefully some of the 'spiral duct' venting system.

I didn't remove the foam that sits behind the driver vents because I don't want to destroy it now that it's old - so I can't show where the vents are or where they go.

But you can see how that may or may not relate to the rear vent at the bottom of the cup (visible on the Right side)...
It seems like the sound must go first through the foam, then presumably through the 'spiral duct' then out of the single vent.

(the orange 'bits' are glue, not earwax :D )
1658331778788.png

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #61,965 of 75,859
I meant the first and last pages, about 20 pages in each direction, don't remember anything i read except some models.
Well, that would have been superhuman

I'm somewhat reassured :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back