Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 17, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #61,921 of 75,538
I'd highly recommend you check out models from DIYers - best bang for your buck. E.g. Rikubuds, Tgxear, Newbsound, Valphonics.
Thanks, I'll have a look around what they're offering. Though I have to say, I'm hesitant to order anything from the US. Shipping is bad enough, but the extra VAT (not so bad) + customs/administrative fees (bad) tend to not make it worth it. One of my packages from the US is also the only one so far to completely disappear without a trace in transit, but that's probably just some personal bad luck.
I have similar issue with LBBS - it is the lack of stem that makes the small, light shell unstable in the ear.
Direct upgrade to X6/Vido would be RY4S+ which has mmcx, so you can connect a cable of your choice. The best sounding cheap earbud is Ksearphone K64, it has flatter signature than X6, but it is excellent.

Yeah, the lack of stem might be it. I also think the LBBS might be smaller than the mx500 shape overall, though I could be mistaken.

Thanks for reminding me about the RY4S+ and for pointing out the K64. I've also been eyeing some more expensive options, since I'm willing to go up to say 100 euro this time around. The Smabat M2s Pro seem attractive, and I seem to remember they got reviews here about a year ago. Though that might have changed due to newer models entering the market? I've also seen the Nicehkc B70 and EB2S (purely because they're plastered on their homepage), though a quick glance over the previous posts in this thread give me the impression that they're 'just okay, nothing special'.

Also, dang, prices have gone up a bunch since last time I checked aliexpress. The LBBS is going for around 65 euro, when a year ago I got mine for 37-ish.

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #61,922 of 75,538
Thanks, I'll have a look around what they're offering. Though I have to say, I'm hesitant to order anything from the US. Shipping is bad enough, but the extra VAT (not so bad) + customs/administrative fees (bad) tend to not make it worth it. One of my packages from the US is also the only one so far to completely disappear without a trace in transit, but that's probably just some personal bad luck.
If you're concerned about shipping from the US, then reach out to @RikudouGoku (RikuBuds), he's in Sweden. Sorry, don't know where the other DIY sellers would be shipping from.

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #61,923 of 75,538
The Smabat M2s Pro seem attractive, and I seem to remember they got reviews here about a year ago. Though that might have changed due to newer models entering the market? I've also seen the Nicehkc B70 and EB2S (purely because they're plastered on their homepage), though a quick glance over the previous posts in this thread give me the impression that they're 'just okay, nothing special'.
Yes, the M2s Pro are some fantastic buds (especially if you get some of the extra drivers for it). Also, the EB2S are actually really good too. They are very similar to the M2s Pro stock driver IMHO. They are at least worth their cost. Just my take. :)

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #61,924 of 75,538
Been a while since I checked in here. About a year ago I got the LBBS and the Yincrow X6. The LBBS is a good little bud, sounds good to me both with and without EQ. However, it pretty quickly got relegated to the bud drawer because I cannot for the life of me get a good fit with it. I think it's the bell shape + maybe the size that just won't play right with my ears, especially on the left side it's constantly slipping out.
I usually wear the LBBS over the ear fashion like many IEM. The bell shape bud without stem is an ideal candidate for wearing that way. Give it a try, I think you'll like it. Since you like the X6 and you already have the LBBS, have you tried the Yincrow X6 True Upgrade PEQ by @RikudouGoku? You might be surprised.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #61,925 of 75,538

Yeah, the lack of stem might be it. I also think the LBBS might be smaller than the mx500 shape overall, though I could be mistaken.

Thanks for reminding me about the RY4S+ and for pointing out the K64. I've also been eyeing some more expensive options, since I'm willing to go up to say 100 euro this time around. The Smabat M2s Pro seem attractive, and I seem to remember they got reviews here about a year ago. Though that might have changed due to newer models entering the market? I've also seen the Nicehkc B70 and EB2S (purely because they're plastered on their homepage), though a quick glance over the previous posts in this thread give me the impression that they're 'just okay, nothing special'.

Also, dang, prices have gone up a bunch since last time I checked aliexpress. The LBBS is going for around 65 euro, when a year ago I got mine for 37-ish.
LBBs for more than $35! It sounds okay, but not that great, and the lack of stem makes placement challenging. Might be okay if you have tiny fingers…. $65 is crazy unless you have no other options. The M2s pro should be around that same price and it seems to be in a different league as far as resolution and bass response is concerned. Its fit is a bit wonky too for me, but only in my right ear. YMMV. M2s pro/LBBs < MX500<PK<Lite shells for me. MX500 is the division line for “usable in any situation” for me. I use buds when I’m on the go. When I’m around the house I don’t mind using a set of cans or buds. The newer version of the M2s pro might really be where the smart money is spent. Another interesting option is the ff3 from FiiO.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #61,926 of 75,538
Trying out a few 'new' vintages today.
Starting with the Sony MDR-E212

I don't think they would impress anyone around here, but it's still nice to appreciate how comptent the sound used to be, even from entry level Sony buds.
Very smooth sound, and surprisingly competent resolution.

Form factor is a bit old fashioned.
Doesn't sit perfectly, so the sound is affected.

1658155596889.png

1658155610798.png

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #61,927 of 75,538
Next up, Sony MDR-E557.

These surprised me. I read only mediocre things about these.
I would put these easily on par with the Kubes.

Quite similar tuning and they both have a similarly linear midrange.
Weird form factor, but it works well with my ear shape. I like them.
(using thick foam with these)

1658156004292.png

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #61,928 of 75,538
I didn't think I'd ever get to try one of these.

Sony MDR-E868

First of all... that translucent blue plastic case!
I do enjoy these little details.

I thought these were rather excellent.
Not as much bass slam as I'm used to from Sabia V6, Kube, some DIY buds and even BK2, but the linearity, treble quality and detail are great.
I guess these are much closer to 'reference' sound than I've heard from a bud before.

Only when something better comes along do you more clearly hear the problems in the buds you owned before.
The E868 highlighted some midrange problems in the BK2, which now I can't unhear:sweat_smile:

These are the best buds I've ever heard, but man, have I heard too few.
(using ultra-thin foams on these)

• Something I wasn't expecting!! The stems are flexible rubber!! I was a little freaked out at first :D

_DSC9460.jpg
_DSC9458.jpg
1658156416160.png

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #61,929 of 75,538
I'm thinking in trying earbuds since it was my first experience with audio gear but that was ages ago. Maybe in the early 90s with some Sony and Sanyo earbuds.

I've been doing some research and a few caught my attention.

Yincrow RW-3000
Toneking TY2 Pro
Yinman 600
VE Asura 3.0

Do you have any experience with these? What earbuds would you recommend?

Cheers

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #61,930 of 75,538
I'm thinking in trying earbuds since it was my first experience with audio gear but that was ages ago. Maybe in the early 90s with some Sony and Sanyo earbuds.

I've been doing some research and a few caught my attention.

Yincrow RW-3000
Toneking TY2 Pro
Yinman 600
VE Asura 3.0

Do you have any experience with these? What earbuds would you recommend?

Cheers
I have only heard 2 of the 4 from that list, and while I CAN give my rec based on my likes, you might get better recs based on answering the following:
'THE CHECKLIST' FOR FLATHEAD EARBUD RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS
For those looking for a flathead-earbud recommendation from the Earbuds Round-Up thread gang, the following data is extremely helpful:
  • budget (what are you willing/looking to spend? e.g. price range)
  • source (e.g. Smartphone, DAP, AMP/DAC, PC, Streamer)
  • preferred connection (termination type, single-ended or balanced e.g. 3.5TRS, 4.4TRRS, 2.5TRRS)
  • listening level & session length (volume level and for how long?)
  • listening environment (e.g. mobile, office, home desktop, home listening room)
  • preferred music genre (to include podcasts and audiobooks)
  • preferred shell and foam-cushion type (e.g. please see here and here)
  • preferred sound signature i (e.g. bright, dark, warm, aggressive, bassy, neutral, L/U/V/W-shaped)
  • preferred sound signature ii (optional; offer a comparative non-earbud transducer model)
  • preferred brand (optional; only applicable for a model recommendation within a single brand)
  • any special need and/or consideration (e.g. mic/no mic?; fixed cable vs. mmcx?)

My defunct (no-longer updated/supported) Earbud God-Tier List can be found here.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #61,931 of 75,538
Hi everyone,

I've been having some bad luck over the last few purchased earbuds, so I am humbly asking for a small piece of your great wisdom.
Below is probably the essence of what makes me an audio-loving being:

budget:
5-30eur for chi-fi, maybe double for something returnable). I normally like to start cheap and move my way up.

source:
Fiio X1 + Walnut F2 as amp or Zishan Z3

preferred connection

listening level & session length
moderate to high; typically 30-60mins

listening environment
home desktop, park, typically quiet

preferred music genre
mostly anything: fast with great bass track (like Infected Mushroom) but I also vocals and acoustic guitars

preferred shell and foam-cushion type
anything but the iPhone shape

preferred sound signature i
good subbass is a must; I do love subbass but I do not consider myself a bass head
darker is better than bright; I have low tolerance for sibilance
good balance between forgiving and revealing

preferred sound signature ii
My reference headphones are the Superlux 668B. I love how they're fast and detailled and accurate. I don't like the bass rollout and their sometimes unforgiving nature.

any special need and/or consideration
ideally detachable cable

I had a poor experience with what I think are the Yinkrow X6, purchased from CKLewis
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005..._list.0.0.21ef5c5fPOBsOa&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu
The headphones are nice overall but they have minuscule bass. The seller did not provide any reason as to why they are this way or offer any suggestion for improvement.

Thank you very much.
I hope that a good pair of earbuds will start traveling in my direction as a consequence of your great advice.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #61,932 of 75,538
Hi everyone,

I've been having some bad luck over the last few purchased earbuds, so I am humbly asking for a small piece of your great wisdom.
Below is probably the essence of what makes me an audio-loving being:

budget:
5-30eur for chi-fi, maybe double for something returnable). I normally like to start cheap and move my way up.

source:
Fiio X1 + Walnut F2 as amp or Zishan Z3

preferred connection

listening level & session length
moderate to high; typically 30-60mins

listening environment
home desktop, park, typically quiet

preferred music genre
mostly anything: fast with great bass track (like Infected Mushroom) but I also vocals and acoustic guitars

preferred shell and foam-cushion type
anything but the iPhone shape

preferred sound signature i
good subbass is a must; I do love subbass but I do not consider myself a bass head
darker is better than bright; I have low tolerance for sibilance
good balance between forgiving and revealing

preferred sound signature ii
My reference headphones are the Superlux 668B. I love how they're fast and detailled and accurate. I don't like the bass rollout and their sometimes unforgiving nature.

any special need and/or consideration
ideally detachable cable

I had a poor experience with what I think are the Yinkrow X6, purchased from CKLewis
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005..._list.0.0.21ef5c5fPOBsOa&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu
The headphones are nice overall but they have minuscule bass. The seller did not provide any reason as to why they are this way or offer any suggestion for improvement.

Thank you very much.
I hope that a good pair of earbuds will start traveling in my direction as a consequence of your great advice.
Did you put on some foams?
Or was is bassless with foam?

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #61,933 of 75,538
If you're concerned about shipping from the US, then reach out to @RikudouGoku (RikuBuds), he's in Sweden. Sorry, don't know where the other DIY sellers would be shipping from.
Oh, I see, that's very fortunate. I'm going to look at a chi-fi first for now, but I go the DIY route later/instead I'll check them out.
Yes, the M2s Pro are some fantastic buds (especially if you get some of the extra drivers for it). Also, the EB2S are actually really good too. They are very similar to the M2s Pro stock driver IMHO. They are at least worth their cost. Just my take. :)
I had kind of written off the EB2S purely because of the anime waifu boxart, but it's good to hear that it's actually good. Would you say either the M2s Pro and/or the EB2S are somewhat similar to the X6 and LBBS?
I usually wear the LBBS over the ear fashion like many IEM. The bell shape bud without stem is an ideal candidate for wearing that way. Give it a try, I think you'll like it. Since you like the X6 and you already have the LBBS, have you tried the Yincrow X6 True Upgrade PEQ by @RikudouGoku? You might be surprised.
I did try the PEQ preset by RikudouGoku, yes. Had some trouble getting it from PEACE into wavelet on my phone at the start, but I figured it out in the end. I concur that the preset brings the LBBS from good to great, if only I could get it to fit right. I don't usually wear my cables over ear because I wear glasses, but even with my glasses off I just can't get the fit right in my left ear (both over-ear and 'normal'). It's fine so long as I don't move, but any kind of head movement will make it shift/fall out sooner rather than later.

I think I might just have a wonky left ear to be honest. I've noticed that most buds fit better on the right than the left, but while larger buds just require a sporadic adjustement, the LBBS is constantly moving which becomes irritating real fast.
LBBs for more than $35! It sounds okay, but not that great, and the lack of stem makes placement challenging. Might be okay if you have tiny fingers…. $65 is crazy unless you have no other options. The M2s pro should be around that same price and it seems to be in a different league as far as resolution and bass response is concerned. Its fit is a bit wonky too for me, but only in my right ear. YMMV. M2s pro/LBBs < MX500<PK<Lite shells for me. MX500 is the division line for “usable in any situation” for me. I use buds when I’m on the go. When I’m around the house I don’t mind using a set of cans or buds. The newer version of the M2s pro might really be where the smart money is spent. Another interesting option is the ff3 from FiiO.
Would this be the newer version?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001392526385.html
If I'm understanding the coupon I've got right, I could get it for about 18-ish euro, which seems like a steal.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #61,934 of 75,538

Earbuds from this link above are not Yincrow X6 at all.
You can get real Yincrow X6 here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32809743166.html

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #61,935 of 75,538
The X6 should have okay bass for a bud, low resolution and a bit dark sounding d/t their lack of pinna gain, but not irritating to listen too. I’d go with the Vido if you want to go that route. Same driver and tuning, just 1/3 of the price. In a month you’ll want to upgrade anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back