Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 22, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #60,241 of 75,730
So, I got my Linkbuds yesterday, and listened to them till the battery died last evening, then used them for 8 1/2 hours at work today (other than the 30 minutes it took to recharge them to 100%... Just wow!). I won't go into my first impressions of the features and all the TWS goodness. If interested, you can read that part here.

But, for earbuds, my first impressions are: they are excellent! I was highly surprised that they were able to implement AAC and SBC to sound so good. I was half in regret after ordering them but before getting them because of this reason. Worries alleviated! :disappointed_relieved:

These actually sound more akin to IEMs with the soundstage of a bud. The bass quantity is more than any earbud I have heard to date, but sub-bass is severely lacking. In that regard it is tuned much like some of Hifiman's lower end planars (having more mid-bass to handle basically all the lower end duties). It is not super textured, as one might expect from a lower end BT codec, but I don't think it is the driver's fault. In fact, I believe the driver inside is of really good quality, limited by the lowered bitrates it is able to receive.

Mids are clear and present (though not at the forefront) and warm sounding. I find no issue with them in this regard at all. I don't find the pina gain boosted at all, so there is no shrill(ness) at any volume, that I can hear.

Treble is pretty warm, and I had to use the in-app EQ to boost it to my liking. But after this, I find them to be clear and with SOME sparkle, though not a ton. Just enough to convey the music with decent tonal accuracy. There is some congestion issues with complex tracks, but again I suspect it is the lower bitrate causing this. This is where having AAC and SBC as the only choices surprised me. Where you can hear grainy(ness), or simply tizzy cymbol sounds (for instance) in the treble when using lower-end codecs, Sony has done a nice job in the DAC/amp in these buds to compensate for that, and they are at least clear. Even after boosting the treble, it didn't really reveal any issues with the treble.

Does this mean they sound perfect? No, but for how tiny they are, and being BT, I would put them up against some really good buds, and also some good IEMs too. These won't be great for critical listening though, because if you listen VERY carefully you can hear the difference in wired vs. wireless (goes without saying really), but if you are using them out and about, they will fit the bill nicely.

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #60,242 of 75,730
My temporary solution:
20220222_232611.jpg

Feb 23, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #60,243 of 75,730
I'm exceedingly glad that I received the ST-20 that I ordered, rather than the ST-20 Pro. :wink:

Feb 23, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #60,244 of 75,730
Interesting, could you compare them with other earbuds that you have?
Okay, my ears have cleared a bit or recharged or whatever and I took some time to compare these buds again. The LBBs are definitely a substantial notch below the SMABAT ST20pro. Strangely I was able to get both of these buds to fit well today easily. Maybe I was sweaty/greasy yesterday? Anyway, I listened to one piece/song of solo piano, Van Halen, and 50 Cent in an effort to keep it brief. In every genre, the ST20 has deeper, more textured bass with with better timbre and dynamics. The soundstage is significantly larger and instrument timbre and separation is definitely superior. The realism of the piano was actually the most striking and the Van Halen was the least differentiating (not to say that the differences weren’t obvious). The LBBs sounded like I had cups over my ears in comparison. The dynamics just weren’t there and the LBBs just didn’t sound full and natural. The price difference is more substantial than the sonic differences however. With that said, for the $60 I paid, these ST20 pro are a steal. I just wish SMABAT had tuned them better. Maybe I need to give “cable down” another chance. They were definitely within an acceptable tonal range that way but they did lack treble air. “Cable up” the air returns but a radical EQ is necessary. In truth, a 2 volt output is also necessary and 4 wouldn’t hurt with the EQ. The LBBs shines on just 1v and offers perfect comfort if not an absolutely perfect fit for me. So far I have to say that the SMABAT are the best buds I’ve heard technically but take a significant amount of manipulation to perform their best and they’re not the most comfortable with the shark fins for stabilization. Another method may prove beneficial.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #60,245 of 75,730
I'm exceedingly glad that I received the ST-20 that I ordered, rather than the ST-20 Pro. :wink:
I’ve got a feeling those will be close to ideal sonically. Particularly with that driver! how’s the fit working for you now?

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #60,246 of 75,730
Okay, my ears have cleared a bit or recharged or whatever and I took some time to compare these buds again. The LBBs are definitely a substantial notch below the SMABAT ST20pro. Strangely I was able to get both of these buds to fit well today easily. Maybe I was sweaty/greasy yesterday? Anyway, I listened to one piece/song of solo piano, Van Halen, and 50 Cent in an effort to keep it brief. In every genre, the ST20 has deeper, more textured bass with with better timbre and dynamics. The soundstage is significantly larger and instrument timbre and separation is definitely superior. The realism of the piano was actually the most striking and the Van Halen was the least differentiating (not to say that the differences weren’t obvious). The LBBs sounded like I had cups over my ears in comparison. The dynamics just weren’t there and the LBBs just didn’t sound full and natural. The price difference is more substantial than the sonic differences however. With that said, for the $60 I paid, these ST20 pro are a steal. I just wish SMABAT had tuned them better. Maybe I need to give “cable down” another chance. They were definitely within an acceptable tonal range that way but they did lack treble air. “Cable up” the air returns but a radical EQ is necessary. In truth, a 2 volt output is also necessary and 4 wouldn’t hurt with the EQ. The LBBs shines on just 1v and offers perfect comfort if not an absolutely perfect fit for me. So far I have to say that the SMABAT are the best buds I’ve heard technically but take a significant amount of manipulation to perform their best and their not the most comfortable with the shark fins for stabilization. Another method may prove beneficial.

Gotta agree with this. ST20 Pro's technicalities are top notch. But the big caveat is: only if the fit is right.

I'm gonna do some A/B testing with the NiceHCK EBX21 and Yincrow RW2000 soon to see which is the winner in technicalities, but fit is gonna make or break an IEM/earbud. No point having the most heavenly sound, but the fit sucks, and people can't use the bud for more than a few minutes, either cause the bud drops out, is too uncomfortable, or a suboptimal fitting skews the sound (in the case of the ST20 Pro).

Thus far I am managing to secure a good fit with silicone rings inside, and full foams outside, cable down. Seems to stabilize the earbud well enough so as not to move around. Maybe they should have included shark fin hooks inside the packaging.

EDIT: oh ya i emailed Smabat about the ST20 Pro arriving instead of the ST20 (non pro) which I paid for. They said it was a logistics error and that I can keep the ST20 Pro. I offered to resend the ST20 Pro back to them, but they declined. They ain't sending the non pro ST20 over, but I'm not gonna fight with them to resend it. Haha it may seem though that the regular non pro ST20 is gonna be easier to fit and is more conventional.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #60,247 of 75,730
My ST20 (non Pro, unless it is a Pro!) has arrived in Ireland according to the tracking and being 'assessed' by customs - I guess I'll have it quite soon, once they've decided how much to charge me!

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #60,248 of 75,730
Even mine arrived in Italian custom, i hope i'll have it in 15days :D :D :D

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #60,249 of 75,730
yincrow rw-3000 incomming in my house !!

Feb 23, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #60,250 of 75,730
Okay, my ears have cleared a bit or recharged or whatever and I took some time to compare these buds again. The LBBs are definitely a substantial notch below the SMABAT ST20pro. Strangely I was able to get both of these buds to fit well today easily. Maybe I was sweaty/greasy yesterday? Anyway, I listened to one piece/song of solo piano, Van Halen, and 50 Cent in an effort to keep it brief. In every genre, the ST20 has deeper, more textured bass with with better timbre and dynamics. The soundstage is significantly larger and instrument timbre and separation is definitely superior. The realism of the piano was actually the most striking and the Van Halen was the least differentiating (not to say that the differences weren’t obvious). The LBBs sounded like I had cups over my ears in comparison. The dynamics just weren’t there and the LBBs just didn’t sound full and natural. The price difference is more substantial than the sonic differences however. With that said, for the $60 I paid, these ST20 pro are a steal. I just wish SMABAT had tuned them better. Maybe I need to give “cable down” another chance. They were definitely within an acceptable tonal range that way but they did lack treble air. “Cable up” the air returns but a radical EQ is necessary. In truth, a 2 volt output is also necessary and 4 wouldn’t hurt with the EQ. The LBBs shines on just 1v and offers perfect comfort if not an absolutely perfect fit for me. So far I have to say that the SMABAT are the best buds I’ve heard technically but take a significant amount of manipulation to perform their best and their not the most comfortable with the shark fins for stabilization. Another method may prove beneficial.
Whoa thanks! The fit is going to be a huge concern for me.. But the way yoy describes is looks like it is a price to pay for its top tier sound quality

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #60,251 of 75,730
Been making my own personal buds for a bit and only recently I am starting to go fully custom, my own shell and unique tuning to drivers I use. Im really happy that everyone who got them has enjoyed them. I was planning on quitting making these if impressions were ok, but a lot say they very much enjoyed them to where Im going to continue! Because sound is a go... im making them look and feel better now :eyes:

Custom hakugei connectors, and soon my own unique look for the buds which will have a resin finish, and wont impact acoustics. They were originally called Valar 1's but guess i gotta upgrade!
1645650064312.png

Here is a photo of them from a friend!

1645650139250.png

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #60,252 of 75,730
Been making my own personal buds for a bit and only recently I am starting to go fully custom, my own shell and unique tuning to drivers I use. Im really happy that everyone who got them has enjoyed them. I was planning on quitting making these if impressions were ok, but a lot say they very much enjoyed them to where Im going to continue! Because sound is a go... im making them look and feel better now :eyes:

Custom hakugei connectors, and soon my own unique look for the buds which will have a resin finish, and wont impact acoustics. They were originally called Valar 1's but guess i gotta upgrade!
1645650064312.png

1645650139250.png
Love to see new makers pushing boundaries, excited to see where you land with this!

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #60,253 of 75,730

1645650064312.png

1645650139250.png

Those look nice, and probably very comfortable.
If you're selling earbuds, you may need to contact the Head-Fi Admins, to see if your user classification should be "Member of the Trade".

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #60,254 of 75,730
Those look nice, and probably very comfortable.
If you're selling earbuds, you may need to contact the Head-Fi Admins, to see if your user classification should be "Member of the Trade".

Whoops, that may be a good idea! I'll get that checked out now.

Feb 23, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #60,255 of 75,730

Users who are viewing this thread

Back