Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 25, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #60,271 of 75,479
I have had ST20 for 3 days, in my case I don't have any adjustment problems, it fits perfectly to my ears with the foam. But when it comes to sound the extreme treble peak, YES, is in this LCP50 Ohm, once again. How to explain it, bells that sound like cowbells, piano hard thuds that dig into your brain, trumpets that sound like a train horn, etc.

This ruins any other feature of his enormous SQ potential, as the quality is here.

There is a solution, either EQ or... DIY.

I was not going to give my opinion, but I prefer to bring some caution before an unstoppable hype.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #60,272 of 75,479
I have had ST20 for 3 days, in my case I don't have any adjustment problems, it fits perfectly to my ears with the foam. But when it comes to sound the extreme treble peak, YES, is in this LCP50 Ohm, once again. How to explain it, bells that sound like cowbells, piano thuds that dig into your brain, trumpets that sound like a train horn, etc.

This ruins any other feature of his enormous SQ potential, as the quality is here.

There is a solution, either EQ or... DIY.

I was not going to give my opinion, but I prefer to bring some caution before an unstoppable hype.
Thank you hermano!

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #60,273 of 75,479
I received my Smabat ST20 and as others have said, it's really a big and heavy piece but the sound is splendid. Using double foams, silicon cover + full foam or an earhook made the fit better for me. The sound from it is richer than say the M2Spro with super point drivers installed. The bass hits harder, better clarity, timbre and wider soundstage. Sadly, the LBBS feels obliterated in comparison.

This is my endgame earbud. I'm happy I took the bait at half the retail price. If anything sounds better than it, I'm sure I won't be able to afford it.

That's weird because I've read comments on them that are on the opposite side (regardless of reaching a good fit).

Wouldn't you kill the treble response with all that foams?

Would you mind telling us what other buds do you own?

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #60,274 of 75,479
Great to hear! (No pun intended).

Is yours the ST20 pro or non pro version?
Just a wild thought, it might be Smabat selectively sends the "wong unit" to some of us.

I got ST20 non pro as ordered. It is too big for my ears, hardly stay in my ears 😥

Feb 25, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #60,278 of 75,479
Hi! Long time lurker, first-time poster...in this thread :wink:

Did come across a checklist/questionnaire for newbs to fill in, but can't seem to find it anymore. If anyone knows where it is, and can link it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #60,279 of 75,479
EARBUD RECOMMENDATION REQUEST CHECKLIST
For those newbs looking for a flathead-earbud recommendation from the Earbuds Round-Up thread gang, the following data is extremely helpful:
  • source (Smartphone, DAC, AMP, DAP, PC, Streamer, etc.)
  • preferred connection (termination type e.g. 3.5TRS, 4.4TRRS, 2.5TRRS; single-ended vs balanced)
  • listening level & session length (volume level and for how long?)
  • listening environment (mobile, office, home desktop, home listening room, etc.)
  • preferred sound signature (bright, dark, warm, aggressive, bassy, neutral, balanced, L/U/V/W-shaped)
  • preferred music genre (rock/pop, metal, classical, OST, hip-hop, R&B, EDM, podcasts, audiobooks, etc.)
  • preferred shell type (depends on your ears and personal comfort; please see here)
  • preferred brand (only applicable if you are asking for a model recommendation within a single brand)
  • budget (what are you willing/looking to spend? e.g. price range)
  • special need and/or consideration (e.g. mic/no mic?; fixed cable or mmcx?)

Hi! Long time lurker, first-time poster...in this thread :wink:

Did come across a checklist/questionnaire for newbs to fill in, but can't seem to find it anymore. If anyone knows where it is, and can link it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

there you have it sir

Feb 25, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #60,282 of 75,479
Feb 25, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #60,285 of 75,479
Yes, some similarities but the VE Zen 2 has much better bass presentation; better details; not as laid-back sounding.

And costs about 9x ... :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back