Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 13, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #59,311 of 75,421
This is what I have... anything missing?

Svara - Smabat (Shenzhen Smabat Technology Co., Ltd.) Model Timeline

2017 - Svara-L & M (115Ω)
2018 - Svara-L 2018 (32Ω)
2018 - Svara Pro (64Ω; First Maze Acoustics Design)
2019 - Smabat M1 Pro (32Ω; 2nd Gen 3D Maze Acoustics)
2019 - Smabat ST10 (Green 45Ω; 2nd Gen 3D Maze Acoustics)
2020 - Smabat M2 Pro (40Ω; 1st Gen Modular Earbud)
2020 - Smabat ST10S (Black-Silver 40Ω; Black-Gold 150Ω; 3rd Gen Maze Acoustics)
2021 - Smabat M0 (20Ω; First DIY Modular Earbud)
2021 - Smabat M2s Pro (40Ω; 2nd Gen Modular Earbud)
2021 - Smabat M3 Pro (150Ω; Maze Acoustics)
2021 - Smabat Proto 1.0 (16Ω; 3rd Gen DIY Modular Earbud)
2021 - Smabat Super One (100Ω; S-Class Earbud; Integrated Linear Channel Acoustics)
COMING SOON...
~2021 - Smabat ST20 (50Ω; Conch Acoustics)
~2021 - Smabat ST20 Pro (130Ω; Conch Acoustics)

I don't know if it is right to add them to the list but there are also the 2021 M2 Pro. They have the same shell and the same driver but the tuning module is the same as the M2s Pro.

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #59,312 of 75,421
Although very similar sounding in some regards (especially secondary and tertiary signatures) they are actually quite distinct from one another in their tuning approaches.

NiceHCK EBX21 are indeed an interesting one... although very "bright" leaning in many aspects their primary signature (red shaded oval) actually sits near to (on) the "flat" neutral horizontal line (axis). From there they tend to reach out with a "detailed" and "critical" prominent secondary characteristic (blue shaded balloon) and come across as being very analytical & clinical (cold-sounding). With a weak tertiary characteristic (green shaded arrow) they do have a minor tendency to sharply shoot out towards "hard-harsh" upper mids; sometimes sounding very forward and aggressive. Some people believe the EBX21 have a "balanced" tuning but their rather strong lean towards upper mids and treble, less emphasized bass, and strong analytical nature have me argue that they are not... nonetheless, I have indicated this possible additional tertiary sound signature (purple shaded arrow). The EBX21 are truly excellent reference earbuds for critical listening... that is if you can handle their bright cold analytical nature. I really liked these earbuds but sadly it was way too fatiguing for me giving me atrocious head and ear aches.

Rose Technics Maria I & II are truly amazing earbuds with one of the widest (if not the widest) and most open sound(head)stages currently available (only competitor in this regards is probably the Toneking (MusicMaker MrZ Tiankui) Dendroaspis Viridis). The Maria I, and especially the II, primary signature (red shaded oval) is far more "mid-forward", "mid-centric", and less "bright" leaning in nature than the EBX21 which is more flat and neutral in it's presentation. The Maria I & II show a weak secondary signature (blue shaded balloon) that reaches out to "hard-harsh" upper mids that can come across forward and aggressive. A sometimes prominent and opposing tertiary signature (green shaded arrow) exhibited by Maria I & II is a tendency to reach out towards the "hard-harsh" lower treble area with certain recordings and genres. Again, very fatiguing for treble sensitive folks such as myself but if you can handle that these are definitely end-game god-tier earbuds worthy of serious consideration. Special Note: although available in two different sizes, due to their unique shell design 'the fit' can be a big issue for some people.

1639371331023.png

a very big thank to you, WoodyRuvl!
To me you are always very clear in your descriptions, and I really appreciate the way you pinpoint sound characteristics while recognising personal attitudes of the hearer.

I must say that with the NiceHCK ebx21 I hear exactly what you describe. On my side, I like critical listening, and now that I have different opamps in my xd05 bal (opa627) some harshness disappeared, while details seem to come out even better... (strange enough to me, a similar experience is offered by a much cheaper dac, the hiby w3 s, who offers a warmer rendition). The combination is magic for me. Long live the earbuds!

Dendroaspis Viridis bait me since the first time I read about them, and I love their colour too :)... Only I read as being very close to ebx21, but not as much effective on details, therefore I decided not to give them a try yet... So I am waiting my first Blur, which are very promising. Too bad I am in Italy, and the parcel has been at some transit room since november 17, and is not yet at the carrier warehouse! (I've been told maybe it can take three months to be freed.)

For less critical listening I use VE earbuds, that I really like (thinking of trying Asura 3.0 as well). But I guess in many cases DAC also has its importance, or somehow affects our experience.
I'll continue following your indications, WoodyLuvr.

I am so happy to having entered this deep rabbit hole... such a good community here underground, carrot-buds are sooooooo good. Thanks to you all for keeping this thread so wonderful.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #59,313 of 75,421
Bought M2S Pro case from Smabat store at Aliexpress during 6/12 sales, but did not received the item although the delivery status indicates it has been delivered.
Checked with store and they offered to resend or refund.
As it implies they have shipped, I checked with the local post office and asked me to wait for 3 days.

Very good customer service of Smabat Store. They responded very fast and no hassle investigation/inquiry of the matter.

I am happy that I support their ST20 crowdfund.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #59,315 of 75,421
Thanks. Been thinking either start collecting headphone or start collecting totl earbuds. Headphone while looks nice on the shelves, takes too much space and not travel friendly. Earbuds on the others hands are good travel buddy and easy to store. That I wonder it is worth it to get headphone when good similarly price good earbuds is available.
Personally, I have the same issue. Mostly I'm looking to move overseas soon enough, and can't just haul a collection of headphones in my luggage. My whole earbud collection (8+) can be packed in my pockets.

The comparison of earbuds to headphones, I'd say earbuds get you better value and performance under the $300 range--where earbuds hit the ceiling for TOTL tuning.

But if travel friendly is your focus, there's IEMs as well. I think IEMs smash earbuds in detail retrieval in specific price brackets due to the design limitations of earbuds. But then earbuds smash IEMs in terms of comfort, soundstage, layering, and timbre.

It all just depends on your personal preferences and tastes. Me, personally, I'm not a detail chaser. I like comfort and sound presentation, and earbuds just add on that special uniqueness with different drivers, tuning, and DIY options.

Dec 13, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #59,316 of 75,421
Rose Technics Maria I & II are truly amazing earbuds with one of the widest (if not the widest) and most open sound(head)stages currently available (only competitor in this regards is probably the Toneking (MusicMaker MrZ Tiankui) Dendroaspis Viridis).
hmm the viridis seems interesting now.
what about the cheaper rose's like masya?

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #59,317 of 75,421
Has anyone tried the M3 pro yet?
1639449669783.png

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #59,318 of 75,421
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #59,319 of 75,421
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #59,320 of 75,421
Hi, everyone. I’m just starting to dip a toe in the earbud world and I can already tell it’s going to be a rabbit hole for me. I recently received my first non-Apple earbud (Moondrop Nameless, which sound great) and I like what I hear enough to be thinking of jumping immediately into the TOTL realm. I’ve been reading this thread, reading the helpful lists some of you have assembled, and hunting around on Penon and AE, but it remains a little overwhelming. Right now, I’m eyeing one of these: Yincrow RW-3000, Moondrop Chaconne, Ourart QJ21, or Smabat Pro One. I probably would have ordered the Chaconne already, but the lack of a replaceable cable is turning me off compared to the other buds I’m considering. I prefer a more neutral signature, leaning toward slightly warm if neutral isn’t possible. I hope I’m not posting in the wrong place, but I’d be grateful for any guidance you can offer. Thank you!

Edited to add the following info, based on WoodyLuvr’s helpful response:

I’ll mostly be using these on the go, with my iPhone and PAW S2 as a source. I listen mostly to indie rock and 60s/70s stuff, with some jazz thrown in. As I mentioned, I prefer a more neutral/flat signature. I’m looking to spend around $300-$350. In terms of shape, I’m still figuring out my preferences, though I find the Nameless very comfortable (in part why I was drawn to the Chaconne). I also think I’d prefer not having to wrap the cable around my ear, which may eliminate some of the buds I’ve listed.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #59,322 of 75,421
Wow thanks for the share! I really like the HZSound Heart Mirror, so this one looks very interesting. Design looks similar to the FAEAAL Datura Pro.
Looking forward to your impressions if you end up getting them!

Plastic driver cover reminds of PT2021.

This is second earbuds release from HZsound. They also came out with Cymbals a while back.

http://www.hzsound.cn/en/product-16.html

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #59,323 of 75,421
Hi, everyone. I’m just starting to dip a toe in the earbud world and I can already tell it’s going to be a rabbit hole for me. I recently received my first non-Apple earbud (Moondrop Nameless, which sound great) and I like what I hear enough to be thinking of jumping immediately into the TOTL realm. I’ve been reading this thread, reading the helpful lists some of you have assembled, and hunting around on Penon and AE, but it remains a little overwhelming. Right now, I’m eyeing one of these: Yincrow RW-3000, Moondrop Chaconne, Ourart QJ21, DQSM PD21, or Smabat Pro One. I probably would have ordered the Chaconne already, but the lack of a replaceable cable is turning me off compared to the other buds I’m considering. I prefer a more neutral signature, leaning toward slightly warm if neutral isn’t possible. I hope I’m not posting in the wrong place, but I’d be grateful for any guidance you can offer. Thank you!
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

The Yincrow RW-3000 is so new that it may take some time to get recommendations (reviews) on this one... thus far it is looking (sounding) very promising from the few who have heard it who believe it is an improvement on the RW-2000 though the high price tag is of concern to us all :scream:. The PD21 is made by a banned brand on Head-Fi so doubtful you will get much feedback on that one either (surprised the brand name was not redacted in your post... you might consider removing it as the Admins/Mods may remove your post... which does lead me to wonder if this brand is in fact still banned or not :thinking:).

Though your signature does help some... will this be for both mobile and desktop use?

If you desire more in-depth earbud recommendations the following data is usually extremely helpful for us:
  • source (using a DAC/AMP/DAP/PC/smartphone/streamer; audio file type including bit & sample rate)
  • preferred connection (termination type e.g. 3.5SE/4.4TRRS/2.5mm; single-end vs balanced; mic/no mic)
  • listening level & time (volume, and for how long?)
  • listening environment (mobile/office desk/home desktop/listening room)
  • preferred sound signature (bright; flat/neutral; balanced/natural/smooth; dark/warm; extra bass/bassy; L/U/V-shaped)
  • preferred genre (rock, heavy metal, pop, classical, OST, hip-hop, R&B, Korean-Pop, EDM, podcasts, audiobooks, etc.)
  • preferred shell type (depends on your ears and personal comfort; please see here)
  • preferred brand (applicable if asking for a specific model recommendation within a single brand family)
  • price range (probably the most important; what are you willing/looking to spend?)
  • any special need, consideration, and/or request

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #59,324 of 75,421
Wow thanks for the share! I really like the HZSound Heart Mirror, so this one looks very interesting. Design looks similar to the FAEAAL Datura Pro.
Looking forward to your impressions if you end up getting them!

Plastic driver cover reminds of PT2021.

This is second earbuds release from HZsound. They also came out with Cymbals a while back.

http://www.hzsound.cn/en/product-16.html
I wish they provided specs... at least driver impedance and sensitivity. Any help would be appreciated for our Earbuds Timeline:

2021 - HZsound Bell Rhyme (??Ω)
???? - HZsound 钹 Cymbals (??Ω)

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #59,325 of 75,421

Users who are viewing this thread

Back