Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 12, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #59,296 of 75,300
Is there any link of buying JCALLY EP09 only Body (No Cable). Can someone please suggest any such link? I contacted few sellers but they are selling earbud with able. I already have 2 cables with me and do not want to waste money. I think that is the benefit and reason to buy MMCX Earbud which is not meeting here. Please suggest. Thanks.
Any suggestion on this query?

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #59,299 of 75,300
i almost forgot i had the qian 39 years ago if i didn't wrote my past gears list in my profile:smile:
i remembered that it was good, but not special for my taste. still a solid recommendation though
I auditioned the qian39 and 69 a few years back and I agree. The only thing memorable on the 39 was the fit, everything else, the 69 was just flat out better.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #59,302 of 75,300

Thanks. Been thinking either start collecting headphone or start collecting totl earbuds. Headphone while looks nice on the shelves, takes too much space and not travel friendly. Earbuds on the others hands are good travel buddy and easy to store. That I wonder it is worth it to get headphone when good similarly price good earbuds is available.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #59,303 of 75,300
Guys, do you think a totl earbuds can match the sound quality of a headphone at the same price?

sound quality-wise, for me personally the answer is yes. almost everytime i compare both in the same price bracket (and more often with the earbuds being cheaper) i would go for the earbuds.

one thing the headphones do better is slightly bigger perceived soundstage because purely physics and anatomy: the headphones sound also enclose the ear lobes, while the earbuds are much more similar to on-ear headphones and project the sound more on the inner ear part.

so if people like a "grander staging" presentation, headphones might have a slight edge. on other front like SQ, separation, etc, i'd go with earbuds any day of the week.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #59,304 of 75,300
Thanks. Been thinking either start collecting headphone or start collecting totl earbuds. Headphone while looks nice on the shelves, takes too much space and not travel friendly. Earbuds on the others hands are good travel buddy and easy to store. That I wonder it is worth it to get headphone when good similarly price good earbuds is available.

It's worth mentioning that it is much easier to hide new earbud purchases from the significant other than it is to hide new headphones from them!

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #59,305 of 75,300
sound quality-wise, for me personally the answer is yes. almost everytime i compare both in the same price bracket (and more often with the earbuds being cheaper) i would go for the earbuds.

one thing the headphones do better is slightly bigger perceived soundstage because purely physics and anatomy: the headphones sound also enclose the ear lobes, while the earbuds are much more similar to on-ear headphones and project the sound more on the inner ear part.

so if people like a "grander staging" presentation, headphones might have a slight edge. on other front like SQ, separation, etc, i'd go with earbuds any day of the week.

Thank you for the explanation!
It's worth mentioning that it is much easier to hide new earbud purchases from the significant other than it is to hide new headphones from them!
hahaha, this is true! Though my wife love earbuds as I am.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #59,307 of 75,300
This is what I have... anything missing?

Svara - Smabat (Shenzhen Smabat Technology Co., Ltd.) Model Timeline

2017 - Svara-L & M (115Ω)
2018 - Svara-L 2018 (32Ω)
2018 - Svara Pro (64Ω; First Maze Acoustics Design)
2019 - Smabat M1 Pro (32Ω; 2nd Gen 3D Maze Acoustics)
2019 - Smabat ST10 (Green 45Ω; 2nd Gen 3D Maze Acoustics)
2020 - Smabat M2 Pro (40Ω; 1st Gen Modular Earbud)
2020 - Smabat ST10S (Black-Silver 40Ω; Black-Gold 150Ω; 3rd Gen Maze Acoustics)
2021 - Smabat M0 (20Ω; First DIY Modular Earbud)
2021 - Smabat M2s Pro (40Ω; 2nd Gen Modular Earbud)
2021 - Smabat M3 Pro (150Ω; Maze Acoustics)
2021 - Smabat Proto 1.0 (16Ω; 3rd Gen DIY Modular Earbud)
2021 - Smabat Super One (100Ω; S-Class Earbud; Integrated Linear Channel Acoustics)
COMING SOON...
~2021 - Smabat ST20 (50Ω; Conch Acoustics)
~2021 - Smabat ST20 Pro (130Ω; Conch Acoustics)

Has anyone tried the M3 pro yet?

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #59,308 of 75,300
thank you WoodyLuvr
I already read those description. I only lack knowledge aboout Symphonio...
Maybe you can help me: compared to ebx21, is Maria II brighter, or as bright as the NiceHCK's model? It will cost to me twice as much as ebx21... it must deserve it...
Although very similar sounding in some regards (especially secondary and tertiary signatures) they are actually quite distinct from one another in their tuning approaches.

NiceHCK EBX21 are indeed an interesting one... although very "bright" leaning in many aspects their primary signature (red shaded oval) actually sits near to (on) the "flat" neutral horizontal line (axis). From there they tend to reach out with a "detailed" and "critical" prominent secondary characteristic (blue shaded balloon) and come across as being very analytical & clinical (cold-sounding). With a weak tertiary characteristic (green shaded arrow) they do have a minor tendency to sharply shoot out towards "hard-harsh" upper mids; sometimes sounding very forward and aggressive. Some people believe the EBX21 have a "balanced" tuning but their rather strong lean towards upper mids and treble, less emphasized bass, and strong analytical nature have me argue that they are not... nonetheless, I have indicated this possible additional tertiary sound signature (purple shaded arrow). The EBX21 are truly excellent reference earbuds for critical listening... that is if you can handle their bright cold analytical nature. I really liked these earbuds but sadly it was way too fatiguing for me giving me atrocious head and ear aches.

Rose Technics Maria I & II are truly amazing earbuds with one of the widest (if not the widest) and most open sound(head)stages currently available (only competitor in this regards is probably the Toneking (MusicMaker MrZ Tiankui) Dendroaspis Viridis). The Maria I, and especially the II, primary signature (red shaded oval) is far more "mid-forward", "mid-centric", and less "bright" leaning in nature than the EBX21 which is more flat and neutral in it's presentation. The Maria I & II show a weak secondary signature (blue shaded balloon) that reaches out to "hard-harsh" upper mids that can come across forward and aggressive. A sometimes prominent and opposing tertiary signature (green shaded arrow) exhibited by Maria I & II is a tendency to reach out towards the "hard-harsh" lower treble area with certain recordings and genres. Again, very fatiguing for treble sensitive folks such as myself but if you can handle that these are definitely end-game god-tier earbuds worthy of serious consideration. Special Note: although available in two different sizes, due to their unique shell design 'the fit' can be a big issue for some people.

1639371331023.png

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #59,309 of 75,300

Thank you for the explanation!

hahaha, this is true! Though my wife love earbuds as I am.
A good time to offer this up again:

1639372082757.png

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #59,310 of 75,300
Is there any link of buying JCALLY EP09 only Body (No Cable). Can someone please suggest any such link? I contacted few sellers but they are selling earbud with able. I already have 2 cables with me and do not want to waste money. I think that is the benefit and reason to buy MMCX Earbud which is not meeting here. Please suggest. Thanks.
A retailer won't break up a package and try to sell the pieces separately. It's up to the manufacturer to offer it in a package without cable. If you can't find it on AliExpress then it is very unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back