Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 16, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #57,181 of 75,247
Like @samandhi said that’s essentially it except it would be hot-rodded, or a beefed-up version. They sound great for sure. Leaner than the 150Ohm driver in the M2s pro shell, but great for the money! I believe you can use the tuning nets with it, but I don’t think they are necessary at all. The open port is supposed to have the most bass and that’s how I like them. They are not over bassy(whatever that is) in the stock configuration. My biggest problem with them is that they’ve gone missing. This morning my wife said “wow, I really like that blue! How do they sound?” Well I foolishly let her listen to them because she’s always been happy with her Apple Ear Pods. I was hoping she would like them, but not enough to confiscate them. Well, I came home from work today and they are missing and she claims she doesn’t remember where she put them. She doesn’t forget anything. I mean ANYTHING. My Venture Electronics case is strange missing as well and it’s my favorite case. It fits the Qudelix and a set of buds perfectly. @WoodyLuvr, I feel your pain. I have no doubt she knows where they are because she was blown away by their sound AND though they looked awesome. She wouldn’t lose them, I’m abs sure of that. Now I just have to catch her in the act of listening to them. I think I just made an audiophile of her, but I wasn’t trying to.
That is both fantastic and sad all in the same breath! Sorry?? But Congratz?? :upside_down:

Edit: Oh, and all this is true ONLY if you are ready to "get started with a fever"... :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #57,182 of 75,247
Yep, well somewhere in between the M0 and the M2S Pro(I can only assume that the driver listed in the pic is the default driver for the M2S Pro, 40 Ohms). These are similar to the more expensive M2S Pro, which are $65+ as a kit. The difference here is that normally you would also get drivers and a cable for $35 (basically a cheaper version of the M2S Pro). The default driver for the M0 is normally 20 Ohms vs. the 40 Ohms for the M2s Pro, and I also couldn't see where you can change the filters in these either like you can with the M2S Pro. So, for roughly $22USD you are getting everything but the cable.

I can't speak to how well they sound though, because it looks like the shells are a different shape than the M2S Pro. But, if they are anything like either of the Smabat buds I have (M2S Pro stock driver and ST10S gold 150 Ohm driver), they will sound good to great.
I see that there are different Drivers. What would be the difference between them soundwise?

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #57,184 of 75,247
I see that there are different Drivers. What would be the difference between them soundwise?
I can't speak from experience, but I would imagine they would have to be tuned a bit differently. As to which is better, will depend on what you like best.

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #57,185 of 75,247
Like @samandhi said that’s essentially it except it would be hot-rodded, or a beefed-up version. They sound great for sure. Leaner than the 150Ohm driver in the M2s pro shell, but great for the money! I believe you can use the tuning nets with it, but I don’t think they are necessary at all. The open port is supposed to have the most bass and that’s how I like them. They are not over bassy(whatever that is) in the stock configuration. My biggest problem with them is that they’ve gone missing. This morning my wife said “wow, I really like that blue! How do they sound?” Well I foolishly let her listen to them because she’s always been happy with her Apple Ear Pods. I was hoping she would like them, but not enough to confiscate them. Well, I came home from work today and they are missing and she claims she doesn’t remember where she put them. She doesn’t forget anything. I mean ANYTHING. My Venture Electronics case is strange missing as well and it’s my favorite case. It fits the Qudelix and a set of buds perfectly. @WoodyLuvr, I feel your pain. I have no doubt she knows where they are because she was blown away by their sound AND though they looked awesome. She wouldn’t lose them, I’m abs sure of that. Now I just have to catch her in the act of listening to them. I think I just made an audiophile of her, but I wasn’t trying to.

Haha sometimes I wished my wife was a bit more 'audiophile'.

She can't tell the difference between a $3 usd night bazaar pirated Beats earphone and the TOTL Dunu Luna on a desktop amp. Facepalm.

But anyway I am not at risk of getting my gear stolen like @WoodyLuvr and @Ronion haha. My wife is current very happily using a $1 Vido, so I will just let sleeping dogs lie.

Hi u can check out this small post I wrote about the Smabat M0 (younger sibiling of the M2S pro):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16427874

There are some graphs of how the various dampers and drivers have different sound signatures. There are many permutations to play with in addition to different cables, foam types, wearing the earbud over ear/cable down and different shells, all these will change the sound.

The M2S pro shell gives a bit of fuller and warmer sound sig, whereas the M0 shell has a thinner note weight and sounds brighter (when same drivers are used).

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #57,187 of 75,247
Haha sometimes I wished my wife was a bit more 'audiophile'.

She can't tell the difference between a $3 usd night bazaar pirated Beats earphone and the TOTL Dunu Luna on a desktop amp. Facepalm.

But anyway I am not at risk of getting my gear stolen like @WoodyLuvr and @Ronion haha. My wife is current very happily using a $1 Vido, so I will just let sleeping dogs lie.
I think something is wrong with Duna Luna :wink:

Aug 16, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #57,188 of 75,247
Hi u can check out this small post I wrote about the Smabat M0 (younger sibiling of the M2S pro):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16427874

There are some graphs of how the various dampers and drivers have different sound signatures. There are many permutations to play with in addition to different cables, foam types, wearing the earbud over ear/cable down and different shells, all these will change the sound.

The M2S pro shell gives a bit of fuller and warmer sound sig, whereas the M0 shell has a thinner note weight and sounds brighter (when same drivers are used).
your experience, though better constructed and enunciated, mirrors the memory of mine.

I found my missing M0 in my VE case in the drawer of my wife’s bedside table…. She “forgot” she had placed it there in an effort to be able to more easily find them in the morning and listen to her programs and not wake me. So she stole my earbuds for my sake. What a sweetheart? She also changed the foams to white HieGi ones because it “looks better that way”. I listened to them this morning and I actually prefer the sound of them with the HieGi. They give the bottom end a bit more weight.

what I’ve noticed about earbuds is that the harder the diaphragm material, the more detailed the sound, but the sound doesn’t have resonances in the audible range like a lot of speaker diaphragms of hard materials do. It also seems like the higher the impedance, the more warmth and weight the low end has and it seems to add just a touch more detail as well. the whole balance I’m sure is effected by shell and tuning, but the general trend in what I have seems to go along with that When just changing the driver and nothing else. My sample size is obviously too small to make any sweeping conclusions, but I can rationalize it so it must be true (joking).

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #57,189 of 75,247
your experience, though better constructed and enunciated, mirrors the memory of mine.

I found my missing M0 in my VE case in the drawer of my wife’s bedside table…. She “forgot” she had placed it there in an effort to be able to more easily find them in the morning and listen to her programs and not wake me. So she stole my earbuds for my sake. What a sweetheart? She also changed the foams to white HieGi ones because it “looks better that way”. I listened to them this morning and I actually prefer the sound of them with the HieGi. They give the bottom end a bit more weight.

what I’ve noticed about earbuds is that the harder the diaphragm material, the more detailed the sound, but the sound doesn’t have resonances in the audible range like a lot of speaker diaphragms of hard materials do. It also seems like the higher the impedance, the more warmth and weight the low end has and it seems to add just a touch more detail as well. the whole balance I’m sure is effected by shell and tuning, but the general trend in what I have seems to go along with that When just changing the driver and nothing else. My sample size is obviously too small to make any sweeping conclusions, but I can rationalize it so it must be true (joking).
This one is strong with the force audiophile! Sounds like she is a closet audiophile?! :)

Great analysis! That aligns with my thoughts also. Not with Smabats (only have the 2 atm), but drivers in general.

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #57,191 of 75,247
Let me know if anyone has recommendations for a neutral/reference type sounding earbud. I currently listen on Sennheiser HD650, ATH-M50x, Shozy Stardust Bk, ST-10, and VE Zen LL. (Looking for budget and high end options). Thanks in advance
Earbud from Rose would be your choice.

Aug 17, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #57,193 of 75,247
Let me know if anyone has recommendations for a neutral/reference type sounding earbud. I currently listen on Sennheiser HD650, ATH-M50x, Shozy Stardust Bk, ST-10, and VE Zen LL. (Looking for budget and high end options). Thanks in advance
Good day. It would be helpful if we had a bit more info... hi-end options especially can be quite expensive:
  • source (using a DAC/AMP/DAP/PC/smartphone/streamer; audio file type including bit & sample rate)
  • preferred connection (termination type e.g. 3.5SE/4.4TRRS/2.5mm; single-end vs balanced; mic/no mic)
  • listening level & time (volume, and for how long?)
  • listening environment (mobile/office desk/home desktop/listening room)
  • preferred sound signature (bright; flat/neutral; balanced/natural/smooth; dark/warm; extra bass/bassy; L/U/V-shaped)
  • preferred genre (rock, heavy metal, pop, classical, OST, hip-hop, R&B, Korean-Pop, EDM, podcasts, audiobooks, etc.)
  • preferred shell type (depends on your ears and personal comfort; please see here)
  • preferred brand (only applicable if asking for a model recommendation within a single brand)
  • price range (probably the most important; what are you willing/looking to spend?)

Aug 17, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #57,194 of 75,247
Not the Maria II though. It is neutral/bright with a fun factor, but I wouldn't call it reference at all. Great bud though! :)
Concur, Maria I & II are bright sounding but damn do they have a wondrously wide soundstage. @ClieOS describes the Maria II quite well: "As for sound - think of it with a sound signature between SimPhonio D2+ and D3 - bright and very well extended treble, somewhat warm on the mid range, good deep punching but moderate low-end with a super massive soundstage. Listening to it pretty much equal to listening a miniature open back on-ear rather than an earbud. because of how 'out-of-the-ear' it sounds, even wider than the original Maria and definitely the widest sounding earbud in the market."

Aug 17, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #57,195 of 75,247
Concur, Maria I & II are bright sounding but damn do they have a wondrously wide soundstage. @ClieOS describes the Maria II quite well: "As for sound - think of it with a sound signature between SimPhonio D2+ and D3 - bright and very well extended treble, somewhat warm on the mid range, good deep punching but moderate low-end with a super massive soundstage. Listening to it pretty much equal to listening a miniature open back on-ear rather than an earbud. because of how 'out-of-the-ear' it sounds, even wider than the original Maria and definitely the widest sounding earbud in the market."
can't wait to see their planned Rose Maxim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back