Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 14, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #57,151 of 75,075
Is it good to buy from Penon Audio? I'm eyeing on the TY Hi-Z earbuds and only them currently has the stock. I don't even know if they really have the stock as I have not tried contacting them or they just have not updated their website. Sadly, they don't have the F150TS and HP-650 models. I'm suspecting that TY and Seahf were related in some way specially in the way their earphones look and packaged.

I found this review: https://audio123reviews.com/2018/03/13/ty-hi-z-f150ts/ and sounds like that my Seahf F150c is a mix of both the 150S and F150TS so it got me curious. If someone here has either of these or even the HP-650 and feel like these babies are not getting any love, let me know and I can sign up for an adoption. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #57,152 of 75,075
Is it good to buy from Penon Audio? I'm eyeing on the TY Hi-Z earbuds and only them currently has the stock. I don't even know if they really have the stock as I have not tried contacting them or they just have not updated their website. Sadly, they don't have the F150TS and HP-650 models. I'm suspecting that the TY and Seahf were related in some way specially in the way their earphones look and packaged.

I found this review: https://audio123reviews.com/2018/03/13/ty-hi-z-f150ts/ and sounds like that my Seahf F150c is a mix of both the 150S and F150TS so it got me curious. If someone here has either of these or even the HP-650 and feel like these babies are not getting any love, let me know and I can sign up for an adoption. :ksc75smile:
Some on this board have had bad customer experiences with Penon and others have not (I never had an issue; maybe I was lucky). Do a search in this thread and you'll see some of the more recent events/issues. I refrain from ordering from them now to support those fellow members that were mistreated.

Honestly, I think your Seahf F150c are a few leagues ahead! That is a rare driver you have in there.

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #57,153 of 75,075
I think we should maybe make a list of approved/approved with reservation/ and not approved shops. It’s essentially impossible to buy earbuds from a source in America barring Amazon which has a very limited and overpriced selection vs Asia. Problem is,we don’t know what’s a safe bet in Asia. Believe it or not, I actually had the best customer service of my life from Penon, but the worst customer service through AliExpress. SMABAT and Venture Electronics also had great customer service for me. I’d order from either of their shops without reservation.

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #57,154 of 75,075
Some on this board have had bad customer experiences with Penon and others have not (I never had an issue; maybe I was lucky). Do a search in this thread and you'll see some of the more recent events/issues. I refrain from ordering from them now to support those fellow members that were mistreated.

Honestly, I think your Seahf F150c are a few leagues ahead! That is a rare driver you have in there.
You know what Woody I'll take your advice. I will hold on to my F150C for now. I love the sound and just today, the Ovidius DAC has arrived at my place and I'm very excited to hear what will it make the very insensitive F150C sound like. Perhaps I could try the cheaper TY Hi-Z 32S first just to have a taste of the TY sound and it's available via Shoppe so it's safer and faster. Thanks Woody for letting me know what's going on around. It's so much fun being stuck here at the Earbuds thread that I have not even thought of looking elsewhere.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #57,155 of 75,075
Very nice! Do you still have them? I actually still listen to mine sometimes. They really did have amazing sound for something like $12. I had the silver and white ones, and the brown and copper one (with the chocolate smell in the case)... :)

I still use the extra tips from the white pair on my iBasso IT07..
Ah yes, I've forgotten about that chocolate smell! Haha. Thanks for the photos and the trip down memory lane!
Yes, I still do have the Piston II in brown/copper. It's my 'beater' pair. It sounds good enough, convenient because it's worn cable down and is really handy when I know I'll be travelling rough or stuck in less-than-ideal listening environments where an earbud just wouldn't do.

You know what Woody I'll take your advice. I will hold on to my F150C for now. I love the sound and just today, the Ovidius DAC has arrived at my place and I'm very excited to hear what will it make the very insensitive F150C sound like. Perhaps I could try the cheaper TY Hi-Z 32S first just to have a taste of the TY sound and it's available via Shoppe so it's safer and faster. Thanks Woody for letting me know what's going on around. It's so much fun being stuck here at the Earbuds thread that I have not even thought of looking elsewhere.
FYI, the TY Hi-Z 32 has a reputation of tending to sound rather 'hot'. IIRC, they sound fine to me. Maybe best to pair it with a warmer source or component down your audio chain.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #57,156 of 75,075
I think we should maybe make a list of approved/approved with reservation/ and not approved shops. It’s essentially impossible to buy earbuds from a source in America barring Amazon which has a very limited and overpriced selection vs Asia. Problem is,we don’t know what’s a safe bet in Asia. Believe it or not, I actually had the best customer service of my life from Penon, but the worst customer service through AliExpress. SMABAT and Venture Electronics also had great customer service for me. I’d order from either of their shops without reservation.
My experience with Penon Audio was excellent.

Aug 14, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #57,157 of 75,075
Checking in after a little time off :)

1628992874203.png
Steve Howe & Martin Taylor - Masterpiece Guitars

Taking into context the sort of material that I would consider "fit for earbuds," an album like this reminds me of a less stressful time. The sort of time I'd spend as a younger adult at Guitar Center just putzing around on guitars I'd never be able to buy (but loved to play) for hours; never being kicked out, but certainly overstaying my welcome. What I'm hearing on this album is what I was hearing in those demo rooms. Piped through the Monolith 788, there's just this healthy sense of space to everything; you can hear where the L/R balance in the mix is cut to make room for the rhythm and lead tracks (it's a pretty cool effect, like songs sandwiched in stereo).

Unfortunately, this is a SACD copy that I have for my own offline listening, but I highly encourage you to listen via the YT link I put above and try to let some of the stress melt away. This is some of the sweetest guitar music I've been able to put on in a while.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #57,160 of 75,075
It’s almost embarrassing how many great earbuds I have now. The SMABAT M0 shells arrived the same day that my Xinhs cables did (TODAY)! What a great surprise coming home from the COVID ward today To find this score! Normally after a long blazing paced day in a COVID ward in the ”bunny suit” you are exhausted and DRY From all the dry air blowing in your face and sweating, but today the shower was fast and I had a sense of excitement. The 40 Ohm drivers don’t sound all that different (from memory) in the M0 shell than they did in the M2s pro shell. I’m sure I could pick out differences if I was able to switch them quickly back to back, but that’s not going to happen. I’m sure than the M0 shell fits my ears better and I’m definitely psyched about the sound. It probably helps that I can run them balanced because of the cable and it the nicest feeling/feeling cable I’ve ever owned.

Attachments

• B2DAB87E-77AB-4111-A321-0C8E0DC8218A.jpeg
    B2DAB87E-77AB-4111-A321-0C8E0DC8218A.jpeg
    899.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 15, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #57,162 of 75,075
Look at Xinhs cables and I’ve also heard that these are actually nice for considerably less money: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32977439182.html?mp=1

i will say I’m happy with my Xinhs for what they cost—I’ve certainly paid more Money for less Quality.

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #57,164 of 75,075
Thanks, and if I do not want to spend more than 30€ more or less on a 2.5mm/mmcx balanced cable, which ones would you recommend?
This a great cable for not much money, imho:
https://shopee.com.my/****-6-Core-P...S6-ZST-ZSR-ZS5-ZSA-ES4-i.277329049.4540392892

If you don't have Shopee in your region, try to look for it on Aliexpress.

Aug 15, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #57,165 of 75,075

Attachments

• 20210812_084847.jpg
    20210812_084847.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back