Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 18, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #56,326 of 75,248
Happy Sunday, folks!

Been letting the FAAEAL run through some of this album along with whatever Roon throws into the mix afterwards. Really interesting to hear the bass textures in this album; lots of creative layering.

I agree, "Go Slow "is a amaizing song and it's great for testing bass but not so much for sub-bass.

So I tested a few pairs to see which one can handle this song.
1. DIY PK1 150ohm "red film" (Nokia HDD-1 driver) - this pair would definitely make even the saddest person to smile at least for a moment. Bass guitar and drums (bass pedal) have superb presentation.
2. HE150Pro (MX500 mod) - very similar to PK1 a bit faster and tighter bass
3. DIY 130om berllium coated driver. Here you can hear real power of beryllium driver. Bass pedal of the drums ... oh boy

I tesed TG-38s, HiFy Boy Dream and few more but when it comes to bass performance, the first 3 models are hard to beat

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #56,327 of 75,248
Excellent! This is the info that Lee refuses to share with me. I wonder why?
My current favorite amp for high impedance buds is E1DA PowerDAC, which is a completely different design being fully digital. It is also about 30% of size and weight of the RAP.
The PowerDAC sounds great, so I wonder if I would possibly like the RAP sound even more...
FYI the Maximum Voltage Output of PowerDAC is 3.3Vrms. For E1DA 9038D it is 2.75Vrms, and for 9038S it is 3.4Vrms.
And if the shared specs are correct, RunAbout Plus can do 5.3Vrms in high gain.
Interestingly the Fiio BTR5 can do 3.6Vrms in balanced.

All those measurements are in unloaded state.

This should be the most important amp parameter for high impedance buds.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #56,328 of 75,248
How's it going , folks. I heard shozy intends to release Cygnus balanced edition. Anybody got it yet ?
Screenshot_20210719-164042_Brave.jpg

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #56,329 of 75,248
You can also choose a bud mmcx and choose a cable with a microphone (for example RY4S plus).

Thank you and to you all who responded.
The solution that almost everyone has proposed, which is to buy headphones and detachable cable sounds great to me.
The RY4S seem to me a good starting point given the price.

Seems I can buy them on the well-known Chinese store. I don't have much knowledge about cables though, is it enough to buy any one that supports mmcx with microphone?
Or does it have to have special specifications?

Thanks again! :)

Jul 19, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #56,330 of 75,248
The solution that almost everyone has proposed, which is to buy headphones and detachable cable sounds great to me.

Seems I can buy them on the well-known Chinese store. I don't have much knowledge about cables though, is it enough to buy any one that supports mmcx with microphone?

Hello, I put the link of two examples of cables with good ratings.

To search you just have to put in AE "mmcx mic"

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vVrsw9
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vDT3dr

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #56,332 of 75,248

Someone else might have to verify this but I'll say my hunch anyways:

You might wanna get the 300ohm version of RY4S.

The extra benefits of your LG V50 quad dac will only be enabled when using >50ohms earbuds*
*unless you want to constantly 'trick' it with the aux dongle hack, but that seems inconvenient

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #56,333 of 75,248
I ordered this little guy in the hopes that it could take full-time duty as the "earbuds" source.

PXL_20210720_014116016~2.jpg

So far, it doesn't disappoint. That 5K has so much potential.

Screenshot_20210719-184614.jpg

This is where I'm sitting for a quite comfortable listening level. Hopefully that's enough headroom for some of the more demanding buds, but you do gain a lot of extra power through the 2.5mm jack.

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #56,335 of 75,248

I would recommend the OpenHeart oh860 which has a good reputation and is much cooler than the RY4S MMCX PLUS.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001180479742.html
OpenHeart-oh860.jpg

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #56,336 of 75,248
Perfect timing! Just sent the Honeydew back to Audio46 yesterday evening and it looks like the M2s Pro arrived this afternoon!

PXL_20210721_202627749.jpg

By the way, I can't stress enough how good a device that Qudelix 5K is. All I had to do was clip the little guy to my shirt, tuck the spare cable from my Snow Lotus into my nightshirt and everything stayed in place the entire night. Exactly what I needed. Power for days. Wholeheartedly recommend.

PXL_20210721_203032715.jpg
I'm sorry. What kind of sound quality? Has this thing been vaccinated?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #56,338 of 75,248
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of cabled earphones NOT in ear, quite small and possible with texture cover, with mic too. Not great budget since I'm used to break them pretty often unfortunately :unamused:
Any suggestions guys? Thx a lot in advance :)
First read this post by Mr @WoodyLuvr
Then make another post where you can explain what you're exactly looking for.

Perfect timing! Just sent the Honeydew back to Audio46 yesterday evening and it looks like the M2s Pro arrived this afternoon!

By the way, I can't stress enough how good a device that Qudelix 5K is. All I had to do was clip the little guy to my shirt, tuck the spare cable from my Snow Lotus into my nightshirt and everything stayed in place the entire night. Exactly what I needed. Power for days. Wholeheartedly recommend.

I'm sorry. What kind of sound quality? Has this thing been vaccinated?
Fantastic! Hopefully that means I should be getting mine soon also, since we ordered them at the same(ish) time. Can't wait to hear your impressions on them?!

LOL I love that!

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #56,339 of 75,248
Hopefully that means I should be getting mine soon also, since we ordered them at the same(ish) time.
Yep, I checked, and it is stuck (ATM) in Chicago customs. If it is there more than a day, I might see them in a couple of months... LOL

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #56,340 of 75,248
Fantastic! Hopefully that means I should be getting mine soon also, since we ordered them at the same(ish) time. Can't wait to hear your impressions on them?!

LOL I love that!
Initial impressions on sound won't come tonight; going to take a while to build an impression for these. Truth be told, I appreciated the FAAEAL more out of the box, perhaps because of its price point. With the Smabat, the tonality is completely different, so I've got to let my ears adjust...again...before I can be fair to the M2s Pro.

As far as comfort goes, though, it's all positive. I thought the bigger diameter would have been an issue, but it's not. I can make it work around the ear and pretty easily. This cable is super-light, but doesn't feel too great in the hand. I'd rank it slightly behind the cable that came with my T2 Pro, for reference. Since it's MMCX, I suppose just get whatever cable you want at the time you order. Still waiting on my NiceHCK order to arrive, but my upgrade cable's contained inside.

I am getting better at putting on full foams, though! Only took me about 2 minutes with the M2s Pro. I don't think they need the extra upper mid/treble energy yet, so I intend to keep the donuts off for now. Took me a couple tries to get fit right since the stem isn't aligned quite the same way as the FAAEAL are, but now I can get it to slide into place effortlessly.

Going to keep enjoying them for the evening on the Honeydew playlist and the 5K and we'll see how long I can listen in one go. Have a feeling it's finite with the M2s Pro. With the FAAEAL, it's practically infinite.
Yep, I checked, and it is stuck (ATM) in Chicago customs. If it is there more than a day, I might see them in a couple of months... LOL
Fingers crossed for tomorrow, then.

PXL_20210722_033058051~2.jpg
Still doesn't do justice for how small this all is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back