Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #56,341 of 75,246
Initial impressions on sound won't come tonight; going to take a while to build an impression for these. Truth be told, I appreciated the FAAEAL more out of the box, perhaps because of its price point. With the Smabat, the tonality is completely different, so I've got to let my ears adjust...again...before I can be fair to the M2s Pro.

As far as comfort goes, though, it's all positive. I thought the bigger diameter would have been an issue, but it's not. I can make it work around the ear and pretty easily. This cable is super-light, but doesn't feel too great in the hand. I'd rank it slightly behind the cable that came with my T2 Pro, for reference. Since it's MMCX, I suppose just get whatever cable you want at the time you order. Still waiting on my NiceHCK order to arrive, but my upgrade cable's contained inside.

I am getting better at putting on full foams, though! Only took me about 2 minutes with the M2s Pro. I don't think they need the extra upper mid/treble energy yet, so I intend to keep the donuts off for now. Took me a couple tries to get fit right since the stem isn't aligned quite the same way as the FAAEAL are, but now I can get it to slide into place effortlessly.

Going to keep enjoying them for the evening on the Honeydew playlist and the 5K and we'll see how long I can listen in one go. Have a feeling it's finite with the M2s Pro. With the FAAEAL, it's practically infinite.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow, then.

PXL_20210722_033058051~2.jpg
Still doesn't do justice for how small this all is...
Oh DO take your time on the impressions. Wouldn't want you to not like them because you didn't bother to "cleanse your palate", so to speak.

I should be an expert at putting on the foams for those, because it looks like they aren't as slick around the edges like the Chaconne are. If so, I'm not too worried about it; I will just have my wife take over for me... LOL

I am eagerly awaiting, but since I have one set, I am content for now. Thanks though!

I forgot to post some pics of those earhooks I got from Amazon for the Chaconne. You could try them if you DO run into any issues of them staying in your ears. With these things they will probably not move from my ears should I be involved in a boxing match (and losing).... :)

20210719_205531.jpg
20210719_205509.jpg

Jul 22, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #56,343 of 75,246
Jul 22, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #56,344 of 75,246
Okay cool. Just give it some time. I have 2 different Snow Lotuses and I’m sure you’ll come to the same conclusion I have. Though the SMABAT scales better, even on lower power devices like Qudelix (I love mine BTW) you should get better detail from it and a broader frequency response. We seem to have a lot of the same gear.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #56,345 of 75,246
Oh DO take your time on the impressions. Wouldn't want you to not like them because you didn't bother to "cleanse your palate", so to speak.

I should be an expert at putting on the foams for those, because it looks like they aren't as slick around the edges like the Chaconne are. If so, I'm not too worried about it; I will just have my wife take over for me... LOL

I am eagerly awaiting, but since I have one set, I am content for now. Thanks though!

I forgot to post some pics of those earhooks I got from Amazon for the Chaconne. You could try them if you DO run into any issues of them staying in your ears. With these things they will probably not move from my ears should I be involved in a boxing match (and losing).... :)

20210719_205531.jpg20210719_205509.jpg
Those hooks look much better than the ones I was directed to from you link earlier. I bet those sound awesome and have great stability! You can always foam them as well if you are crafty (joking) with scissors:

Attachments

• D9AF66AF-E05D-45E5-98CC-81825A61D5EC.jpeg
    D9AF66AF-E05D-45E5-98CC-81825A61D5EC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 22, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #56,346 of 75,246
Oh, I forgot to mention: my FiiO A5 suddenly died 2 nights ago (after I had ordered a tube amp) and I thought “well at least I have a legitimate excuse for the wife now” for ordering another amp though my heart was broken. I’m not sure what happened really , but I’m happy to report that I just needed to hit the reset button on the FiiO and everything is back to normal. Thank goodness! This device, to the best of my knowledge, has never been exceeded or even duplicated.

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #56,347 of 75,246
Those hooks look much better than the ones I was directed to from you link earlier. I bet those sound awesome and have great stability! You can always foam them as well if you are crafty (joking) with scissors:
Ah sorry if I sent the wrong link, but it should have been the same page, actually derived from very ones I ordered. They do sound really good. And I don't know if I actually need the foams, though I haven't actually tried it with them on (as well as the hooks) to compare.

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #56,348 of 75,246
Oh, I forgot to mention: my FiiO A5 suddenly died 2 nights ago (after I had ordered a tube amp) and I thought “well at least I have a legitimate excuse for the wife now” for ordering another amp though my heart was broken. I’m not sure what happened really , but I’m happy to report that I just needed to hit the reset button on the FiiO and everything is back to normal. Thank goodness! This device, to the best of my knowledge, has never been exceeded or even duplicated.
Which tube amp did you end up getting? Too funny that the reset button did the trick. I'd probably be just as upset if my E12a ever gave up the ghost. I look at what I spent then vs what people sell it for now and it blows my mind that I got such a good deal (think I spent 60 bucks for it).

If I remember correctly, the A5 and E12a do have quite a lot in common. Maybe I'm getting my lines crossed, but the E12a was the more IEM-focused of the two. That bass boost switch is so well-implemented, too. Just wish it had a hardware crossfeed; would have finally given me a reason to sell off the Total Airhead.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #56,349 of 75,246
If I remember correctly, the A5 and E12a do have quite a lot in common. Maybe I'm getting my lines crossed, but the E12a was the more IEM-focused of the two. That bass boost switch is so well-implemented, too. Just wish it had a hardware crossfeed; would have finally given me a reason to sell off the Total Airhead.
Yes, you are indeed correct the FiiO A5 used the same OPAMP combo as the FiiO E12A: MUSES02 + LME49600

Jul 23, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #56,350 of 75,246
Yeah, they had 3 different models: I have 2 of them. I have the e12 Mont Blanc which was the most powerful and had a cheaper/noisier buffer op amps. The e12a I believe was the cleanest, but least powerful and then the A5 was nearly as powerful as the Mont Blanc, while remaining nearly as clean as the e12a. My Mont Blanc has a small channel imbalance when used with efficient IEMs at low volumes and definitely has more noise and distortion than the A5. I definitely still like it but not as much as the A5. The A5 does it all well. I got it for a bargain price as well. Last I looked on EBay they were about $300. I got mine for $70 or there abouts. I used the Mont Blanc for years and its battery life isn’t what it used to be. I fear the day that happens to my A5. The way it looks now I’ll attempt to repair it myself. The Mont Blanc has a hardware crossfeed but to be honest, the effect never worked well for me.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #56,351 of 75,246
Ah sorry if I sent the wrong link, but it should have been the same page, actually derived from very ones I ordered. They do sound really good. And I don't know if I actually need the foams, though I haven't actually tried it with them on (as well as the hooks) to compare.
The foams are easier to get on once the shark fins are there. If you want more bass you could give it a go :) Those Cachonne look sweet!

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #56,352 of 75,246
Since my package from the last sale is stuck in NL (thanks to the new EU import rules). Here is the ranking for the K´s Bell-WE (bass version).

A-

It is a mild V-shaped earbud, very similar to the Samsara K300 but worse in pretty much every aspect And sub-bass on the Samsara is a lot better. For something that costs more than the Samsara K300, it is quite disappointing. And in the current market (Smabat M2S Pro), this just can’t compete.

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #56,353 of 75,246
Hello everyone,
Have any one of you got experience with the Astrotec Lyra Nature Limited Edition ? I quite like what i've read about those so far. (And still looking for additional impressions on the Maria II, by the way). Thanks.

Jul 23, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #56,354 of 75,246
Which tube amp did you end up getting?
The Little Bear b4x. A lot of people like to change the op amps in it and I may end up doing the same before long just to try it out. Supposedly that’s the biggest difference between the e12 mont blanc and the A5. There’s definitely a significant, easily distinguishable difference between those 2 amps. I do actually like the character of the e12. I play a little electric guitar(used to play a lot and was in a band in college), and I wish I could add it to my pedal board. It has adds some clarity and brightness to electric guitars that I think everyone would like. In general, Aerosmith and AC/DC sound brilliant through it. Steven Tyler’s voice sounds more Steven Tylerish through it too lol.

Jul 23, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #56,355 of 75,246
The Little Bear b4x. A lot of people like to change the op amps in it and I may end up doing the same before long just to try it out. Supposedly that’s the biggest difference between the e12 mont blanc and the A5. There’s definitely a significant, easily distinguishable difference between those 2 amps. I do actually like the character of the e12. I play a little electric guitar(used to play a lot and was in a band in college), and I wish I could add it to my pedal board. It has adds some clarity and brightness to electric guitars that I think everyone would like. In general, Aerosmith and AC/DC sound brilliant through it. Steven Tyler’s voice sounds more Steven Tylerish through it too lol.
Great choice! I thought the stock TI OPAMPs are...ok. Noise floor is pretty elevated, though, so your more sensitive buds might pick it up. I just don't think they give you that "oh" moment tubes are notorious for and, since the tubes are hard-wired in, that only leaves the OPAMPs to be configured. I see most go for the Burson V5i-D as an upgrade and I certainly like them, but there are also offerings from Sparkos and MUSES that are worth looking into. Good news is you get to pick :)

One word of caution: I would not call the B4X "portable" in the sense that you can throw the A5 into your pocket and walk around the house. All of your motion will transmit into the tubes and you'll hear them ring all the way through the chain. Set it on a tabletop and try to avoid drumming those fills from Dream On over the plastic window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back