Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 17, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #56,281 of 75,463
Yup. I see these two V5i's. They try to hide underneath buds but... :beerchug:
Considered the V6 line, but figured I appreciated having a usable battery more. I owe Burson a writeup on these and owe it to them for providing the review sample in the first place. Definitely brings the value into that little amp. Gets a really strong signal from the 788, but I can hear some EMI from the amp being too close to the monitor. I'll have to find a better spot for it later...or just get the fireflies I've always lusted for...this hobby is dangerous.

This resonates with my experience. I overlooked what good earbuds can offer. I've never been completely enamoured with in-ear devices due to the almost invasive fit. Earbuds sit comfortably in the ear, offering up the sound much more naturally and with excellent timbre.

Subbass is definitely a weaker area, but with a good driver they can achieve really good midbass impact with enough body to slate my thirst for bass.
I'm hoping that I can see that sense of scale as I move up the options that are on their way. I'm surprised at how enjoyable this process has been so far.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #56,282 of 75,463
Considered the V6 line, but figured I appreciated having a usable battery more. I owe Burson a writeup on these and owe it to them for providing the review sample in the first place. Definitely brings the value into that little amp. Gets a really strong signal from the 788, but I can hear some EMI from the amp being too close to the monitor. I'll have to find a better spot for it later...or just get the fireflies I've always lusted for...this hobby is dangerous.
I know all about it from your review for Etymotic EVO, which is BTW one of the best I have read so far, related to content.
You described very useful information there. I hope to see one for earbuds soon :thumbsup:

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #56,283 of 75,463
I know all about it from your review for Etymotic EVO, which is BTW one of the best I have read so far, related to content.
You described very useful information there. I hope to see one for earbuds soon :thumbsup:

+1

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #56,284 of 75,463
That makes me surprised that a more powerful amp brings them to life so much, but it does. Now I want to try all my buds with more power.

Since most earbuds are single DD transducers, yeah they generally scale better with amping. Not so much about volume from amping (since you can just boost the volume on a low powered source), but more than the amp gives better dynamics, soundstage, microdetails, perhaps tightness in the bass.

In contrast to some high sensitivity/low impedance multi BA type IEMs which may not improve significantly with amping. In fact, the FR may be skewed by too much power for those types.

Quite a few earbuds are also of higher impedance/lower sensitivity than traditional IEMs, so more power is generally better for em. Thing is, once you have heard your favourite earbud that is amped, it is very hard to unhear that and go back to a lower powered source haha.

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #56,285 of 75,463
Since most earbuds are single DD transducers, yeah they generally scale better with amping. Not so much about volume from amping (since you can just boost the volume on a low powered source), but more than the amp gives better dynamics, soundstage, microdetails, perhaps
This is exactly what I’ve been hearing! And definitely:
tightness in the bass.

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #56,286 of 75,463
Tubes + buds = Dream team combo 🤯Prepare to be amazed!
0*WshJBOosX7si3qCA.
My wallet hates you! Personally though, I think you’re a pretty righteous dude. Now I’ve gotta get a tube amp too. I have to tell the wife that the A5 is going to die (and it will some day so it’s not a lie exactly).

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #56,287 of 75,463
My wallet hates you! Personally though, I think you’re a pretty righteous dude. Now I’ve gotta get a tube amp too. I have to tell the wife that the A5 is going to die (and it will some day so it’s not a lie exactly).
I love the way you think! :)

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #56,288 of 75,463
Well there's at least one nod for the LittleBear B4-X. It'll run okay-ish on the stock OPAMPs, but don't really do justice at explaining why tubes make a difference in the chain. Adding those Burson OPAMPs and giving them time to bake in has made for a tremendous improvement. Think that's probably one of the most cost-effective ways to test the waters, at least.

Granted, that's a tube-fed circuit rather than a dedicated tube amplifier, but it's just a taste. Things can get really expensive from here if the bug bites.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #56,289 of 75,463
Well there's at least one nod for the LittleBear B4-X. It'll run okay-ish on the stock OPAMPs, but don't really do justice at explaining why tubes make a difference in the chain. Adding those Burson OPAMPs and giving them time to bake in has made for a tremendous improvement. Think that's probably one of the most cost-effective ways to test the waters, at least.

Granted, that's a tube-fed circuit rather than a dedicated tube amplifier, but it's just a taste. Things can get really expensive from here if the bug bites.

I've not tried any tube amps before, but how are they for maintenance wise? Like how often do we need to change the tubes, do they need to warm up before use?

I've also seen some hybrid tube-SS type amps, wonder how they compare to the true tube amps?

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #56,290 of 75,463
I've not tried any tube amps before, but how are they for maintenance wise? Like how often do we need to change the tubes, do they need to warm up before use?

I've also seen some hybrid tube-SS type amps, wonder how they compare to the true tube amps?
Wow, that's a great question! I probably only know about 1/4 of the answer in my experience, but I'd assume tube life is going to be somewhere between 5-7 years on these portable guys. Since they're hard-wired in, it's probably a run to fail thing, which was one of the reasons I didn't want to invest in it too heavily on the first purchase.

I would assume that a well-built tube amp would last longer than any of us here, so long as it was taken care of. Most of them are just blocks of metal or wood with sockets and a little circuitry; not many potential points of failure unless you start looking at some of the stuff that would have solid-state components integrated in.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #56,291 of 75,463

Wow, that's a great question! I probably only know about 1/4 of the answer in my experience, but I'd assume tube life is going to be somewhere between 5-7 years on these portable guys. Since they're hard-wired in, it's probably a run to fail thing, which was one of the reasons I didn't want to invest in it too heavily on the first purchase.

I would assume that a well-built tube amp would last longer than any of us here, so long as it was taken care of. Most of them are just blocks of metal or wood with sockets and a little circuitry; not many potential points of failure unless you start looking at some of the stuff that would have solid-state components integrated in.
Tubes are sort of like lightbulbs (really old school ones), and most of the best ones do require some warm-up, though some of the newest stuff is pretty much instant. As long as you don't leave the amp on all the time, or power cycle it 100 times a day, they should last a good while. As for maintenance, I don't really know of much maintenance that needs to be done, other than keep the system clean because dust is a great insulator, and can cause overheating (this is true with really any open style electronics).

But, if you get one with full sized (common) tubes, be careful of that rabbit hole. You have heard of tip rolling? Well, tube rolling is a bit more expensive of a venture. There are still some tubes floating around out there from the early 1900's, and they can get pretty expensive, but they are also considered some of the best sounding tubes still available. Here is a great place to get your feet wet on tube rolling (even though this is for Little Dot, it is still relevant).

I have heard that those hybrid SS/Tube amps are pretty amazing technology, but to hear an old timer tube amper talk, the more analog the tube amp, the better. I am not sure if this is true but here is a pretty good read on the differences, and how they may sound different in the end. Some argue that you can apply a "tube amp" filter on a SS amp and it sounds great, but those that are purists will argue that it is heresy. You be the judge..... :)

BTW! sorry to be so off topic. How bout this? I finally heard back from Ucotech on ordering those ES-P1, and red ES1003 Diva. It only took 1 1/2 weeks to get to the point where I might get to START the order... :) In the meantime, I am burning in the Chaconne, and will share my thoughts before long.. Hint: they are REALLY good!

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #56,293 of 75,463
Have you checked if it's the plug? Sent a pair of buds back lately for repair after a similar problem developed, thought it was the cable but maker said it turned out to be the plug! HTH
I haven't check. I do not have a spare mmcx cable and I didn't want to swap the cables and risk damaging it more.
I also have a green first generation Smabat ST-10 that I sent back for repair due to faulty contact in the mmcx section.
I had lost the stock mmcx cable and I knew it was the jack side that was faulty because I swapped the left and right mmcx plugs and only the same jack side had faulty contact.
So I had the two green shells replaced by Smabat through the shop where I bought them.

What about your case?
If you don't know whether it's the plug or jack side of the mmcx that's faulty, it's best to send both the shell and the cable to the place of purchase and have them replace the bad part with Smabat.

The problem with the first green SmabatST-10 mmcx is well known, and since both its jack and plug of mmcx are fragile, both the shell and the cable will probably be replaced.
Sad to know that the mmcx female connector on the earbud side might also be problematic.
I do not know who's the seller as I've bought my original green st-10 2nd hand.

Anyway, what's weird in my case is that the sound "cut-off" is just a split second, its just a few miliseconds where the sound will go off on the left side, sometimes the right side will have a tiny buzz and then both sides will immediately come back up and the sound plays as normal.

It is not the source as I've tried on multiple devices. and I've tried turning or moving the 3.5mm jack, moving the mmcx jack around but weren't able to reproduce.
Usually if it is a case of mmcx issue, I would want to think the issue can be easily reproduced but unfortunately I was not able to reproduce it manually.

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #56,294 of 75,463
I haven't check. I do not have a spare mmcx cable and I didn't want to swap the cables and risk damaging it more.

Sad to know that the mmcx female connector on the earbud side might also be problematic.
I do not know who's the seller as I've bought my original green st-10 2nd hand.

Anyway, what's weird in my case is that the sound "cut-off" is just a split second, its just a few miliseconds where the sound will go off on the left side, sometimes the right side will have a tiny buzz and then both sides will immediately come back up and the sound plays as normal.

It is not the source as I've tried on multiple devices. and I've tried turning or moving the 3.5mm jack, moving the mmcx jack around but weren't able to reproduce.
Usually if it is a case of mmcx issue, I would want to think the issue can be easily reproduced but unfortunately I was not able to reproduce it manually.
Without more information it is JUST a guess; but from the fact that when the one has issues, then after that the second one does funky stuff, it sounds almost like a ground issue. It could be as you say an issue with both female MMXC connectors.

If they are too loose in there it might also cause this, which can be fixed with a flat-head screwdriver (in most cases). Here is a video and tutorial on how to fix that issue (if it is because it is loose).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back