Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 17, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #56,266 of 75,702
PXL_20210717_171148198~2.jpg

There's something very humbling about this, knowing what I've plunked into IEMs to this point. When earbuds were basically the only option, I must have completely taken them for granted because these are just phenomenal. That feeling of getting them to sit just right in your ear and then *poof* they disappear and sound is just there. Amazing.

And you're telling me it gets better? Can't wait :)

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #56,267 of 75,702
PXL_20210717_171148198~2.jpg
There's something very humbling about this, knowing what I've plunked into IEMs to this point. When earbuds were basically the only option, I must have completely taken them for granted because these are just phenomenal. That feeling of getting them to sit just right in your ear and then *poof* they disappear and sound is just there. Amazing.

And you're telling me it gets better? Can't wait :)

in my personal opinion, IEMs would excel from the earbuds in noise blocking department only.
when the condition is right (dead quiet room) which makes the playing field equal, earbuds would outperform IEMs even in much higher price difference.

in the case of higher ohm earbuds, give them a good amp, and it would stand toe to toe with the bigger over-ears headphones

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #56,268 of 75,702
in my personal opinion, IEMs would excel from the earbuds in noise blocking department only.
when the condition is right (dead quiet room) which makes the playing field equal, earbuds would outperform IEMs even in much higher price difference.

in the case of higher ohm earbuds, give them a good amp, and it would stand toe to toe with the bigger over-ears headphones
Depends on what you are listening to. Acoustic/vocal music then yeah, buds do outperform iems. But for hip-hop, EDM, Trance or any more bass focused music its the opposite.

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #56,269 of 75,702
Depends on what you are listening to. Acoustic/vocal music then yeah, buds do outperform iems. But for hip-hop, EDM, Trance or any more bass focused music its the opposite.

also depends on the person's need/ expectations of how much bass should be available when listening to bass focused music. some people would enjoy them with lighter bass earphones just fine, especially when they want to listen to the music as a whole picture.

when they want to feel the bass and just be immersed, yes, bass boosted IEMs would be nice, or just go all the way and use speaker+ subs

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #56,270 of 75,702
This is what I'm learning as well. These things would be good educational tools for people who want to learn the difference between bass and sub-bass. Classical, acoustic, and singer/songwriter stuff sounds great on the FAAEAL, but there is so much sub-bass content mixed into electronic music that I have to mentally switch modes and expect it to not be there with (these) earbuds. IEMs give me heaps of sub-bass, relatively speaking, but nowhere near the same sort of staging and in-between imaging of these buds.

They're just smashing timbre and technicalities in a really good way. It's a unique presentation, for sure, but one that merits the effort in trying to understand it.

Heck, I'm running the Snow Lotus completely foam-less and loving it while listening to some Beastie Boys, of all things. I just like that it doesn't yank me from my environment. Kinda like your life just gained a soundtrack and you're the one in control.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #56,271 of 75,702
also depends on the person's need/ expectations of how much bass should be available when listening to bass focused music. some people would enjoy them with lighter bass earphones just fine, especially when they want to listen to the music as a whole picture.

when they want to feel the bass and just be immersed, yes, bass boosted IEMs would be nice, or just go all the way and use speaker+ subs

I do not know the needs that each one may have, what I can confirm is that my IEMs will be relegated to a closet (and there are a few).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #56,272 of 75,702
I’m not sure what impedance the earbuds anonymous buds are but wow do they improve with use of my FiiO A5! I liked them to begin with but now I realize that they too need power. Now I think it’s going to be a closer battle between them and the 150 ohm M2s pro. I wish they had come with a balanced cable. I was thinking that there’s nothing like the A5 available today, but I think iFi is making some powerful portable amps as well. I’m totally shocked with what both of these buds can do. I’ve got to do a tournament of ear buds and then pit them up against some respected IEMs and cans. Right now I think my buds will win it, but I haven’t listened to much else in a while. My mind blew up last night listening to the EA buds on the FiiO A5 much like when I first heard the M2s pro through the FiiO. I’ve had a rather intense fear of my battery dying on the FiiO. My even older Monte Blanc only runs about 3-4 hours now. I’ll be devastated when that happens to the A5. Hopefully they make a new version or the iFi amps are their equivalents.

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #56,273 of 75,702
I’m not sure what impedance the earbuds anonymous buds are but wow do they improve with use of my FiiO A5! I liked them to begin with but now I realize that they too need power. Now I think it’s going to be a closer battle between them and the 150 ohm M2s pro. I wish they had come with a balanced cable. I was thinking that there’s nothing like the A5 available today, but I think iFi is making some powerful portable amps as well. I’m totally shocked with what both of these buds can do. I’ve got to do a tournament of ear buds and then pit them up against some respected IEMs and cans. Right now I think my buds will win it, but I haven’t listened to much else in a while. My mind blew up last night listening to the EA buds on the FiiO A5 much like when I first heard the M2s pro through the FiiO. I’ve had a rather intense fear of my battery dying on the FiiO. My even older Monte Blanc only runs about 3-4 hours now. I’ll be devastated when that happens to the A5. Hopefully they make a new version or the iFi amps are their equivalents.
Earbuds Anonymous
Tech Specs:
Driver Diameter: 15.4mm
Driver Magnet: NdFeB N45
Diaphragm Material: PET
Impedance: 32 ohms
Frequency Response Range: 20-20000Hz
Sensitivity: 101dB/1000Hz
Cable Material: 4N Silver-Plated Copper
Cable Length: 1.2m
Plug: 3.5mm Gold-Plated

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #56,275 of 75,702
That makes me surprised that a more powerful amp brings them to life so much, but it does. Now I want to try all my buds with more power.
That FAAEAL on the Monolith THX 788 sounds pretty huge, not going to lie. Have the LittleBear B4-X charging up because now I'm dying to know what tubes will do.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #56,277 of 75,702
That FAAEAL on the Monolith THX 788 sounds pretty huge, not going to lie. Have the LittleBear B4-X charging up because now I'm dying to know what tubes will do.
Tubes + buds = Dream team combo 🤯Prepare to be amazed!
0*WshJBOosX7si3qCA.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #56,278 of 75,702
Tubes + buds = Dream team combo 🤯Prepare to be amazed!
0*WshJBOosX7si3qCA.
1626559191098.png

...you weren't kidding. That bassline just sounds mean now. Such great texture. Still not harsh.

Oh! Found out my NiceHCK stuff cleared customs, so the X6 and Nameless should be here this coming week. Can't wait!

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #56,279 of 75,702
1626559191098.png
...you weren't kidding. That bassline just sounds mean now. Such great texture. Still not harsh.

Oh! Found out my NiceHCK stuff cleared customs, so the X6 and Nameless should be here this coming week. Can't wait!
Yup. I see these two V5i's. They try to hide underneath buds but... :beerchug:

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #56,280 of 75,702
There's something very humbling about this, knowing what I've plunked into IEMs to this point.

Kinda like your life just gained a soundtrack and you're the one in control.

This resonates with my experience. I overlooked what good earbuds can offer. I've never been completely enamoured with in-ear devices due to the almost invasive fit. Earbuds sit comfortably in the ear, offering up the sound much more naturally and with excellent timbre.

Subbass is definitely a weaker area, but with a good driver they can achieve really good midbass impact with enough body to slate my thirst for bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back