Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 21, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #55,292 of 75,267
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #55,293 of 75,267
It could be QC I guess. I got a pair of Iris CE a while back and my unit doesn't sound like what others have heard, and sounds worse than some cheaper buds I have. So pretty sure there are some issues with mine. 😂 But of course not ruling out difference in personal preference as well. I find it not that bad for me still. Bass is a bit bloated for me, but it's kinda like that with most cheaper buds that I think tries to go for a warmer and more analogue sounding tonality (k's nameless, kbear stellar). But the mids for me sounded okay still. I think it's a small step up from the vidos i've tried, but nothing really mind blowing. I find that 10 dollars is usually where I get that clear step up. Around the same price as the ancestor, I think the nicehck traceless is probably still more my cup of tea, though i know some might not be a fan of the leaner sound overall. :grin:
Yeah I bought the FAAEAL Iris CE 2-3 months ago and the bass was bloated on mine as well, soundstage wasn't as wide as the NiceHCK MX500 or Traceless too. Was wondering if there's a QC issue too since some people said it sounds great which lead me to buying it qwq

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #55,294 of 75,267
alright nerds, i placed an order for the Fiio EM5 just to satisfy the curiosity and take advantage of free returns on amazon. i hear they need three decades of burn in though so i'll do my best within the 30 day return period. but my hope is that i can have a really versatile stable of buds between the EBX21 (best fit and cable versatility), Chaconne (really good upper mid and treble), EM5 (cable termination versatility and maybe satisfying low end).

I am still new to earbuds and kinda don't want to spend a lot of time waiting on trying cheaper buds which is why I'm willing to go TOTL and hopefully not visit this thread for another 5 years, but part of me thinks I'd have have been fine with X6s and ME80s this whole time lol

edit: also, current tip rolling im messing with on the chaconne is silicone ring then single thick donut foam. Bass isn't as full but I get that nice clarity and the fit security is a lot better with the silicone's extra grip :) Otherwise, foamies would move around especially with how heavy the chaconne are

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #55,295 of 75,267
alright nerds, i placed an order for the Fiio EM5 just to satisfy the curiosity and take advantage of free returns on amazon. i hear they need three decades of burn in though so i'll do my best within the 30 day return period. but my hope is that i can have a really versatile stable of buds between the EBX21 (best fit and cable versatility), Chaconne (really good upper mid and treble), EM5 (cable termination versatility and maybe satisfying low end).

I am still new to earbuds and kinda don't want to spend a lot of time waiting on trying cheaper buds which is why I'm willing to go TOTL and hopefully not visit this thread for another 5 years, but part of me thinks I'd have have been fine with X6s and ME80s this whole time lol
You still need the X6 though. :joy:

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #55,296 of 75,267
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #55,298 of 75,267
You still need the X6 though. :joy:
lol they are affordable and available enough that i don't feel any urgency to try them yet. i think I would like a pair since my phone is a 2016 iPhone SE with 3.5mm jack still, so I'd use them for that/apple lossless. But in general I prefer 4.4mm balanced and dedicated DAPs which is why the cheaper buds with nonreplaceable 3.5mm cables are not so exciting to me (I realize sonically it doesn't make that much of a difference if I can get enough power, and I can).

I was going to throw in the x6's and the LBBs from that same seller but I dropped the ball and the k's went out of stock..

edit: i also got the ikko OH10 on sale recently (an IEM) to satisfy the sub-bass I'm missing from buds. highly rec those at their sub-$150 price right now, but that's off topic

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #55,299 of 75,267
You're very persistent :joy:
It is that good.

My children have asked me for an X6 each, just from seeing it written so many times, and they don't know English ... :joy: :joy:
Better teach them early about buds before they look down on them like everyone else lol.

lol they are affordable and available enough that i don't feel any urgency to try them yet. i think I would like a pair since my phone is a 2016 iPhone SE with 3.5mm jack still, so I'd use them for that/apple lossless. But in general I prefer 4.4mm balanced and dedicated DAPs which is why the cheaper buds with nonreplaceable 3.5mm cables are not so exciting to me (I realize sonically it doesn't make that much of a difference if I can get enough power, and I can).

I was going to throw in the x6's and the LBBs from that same seller but I dropped the ball and the k's went out of stock..
Lets hope it doesnt get discontinued (like the NiceHCK ME80 and others) then. :joy:

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #55,300 of 75,267
My children have asked me for an X6 each, just from seeing it written so many times, and they don't know English ... :joy: :joy:
:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
Don't you dare translate for them what X6 means

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #55,301 of 75,267
Ordered a spare LBBS (w/mic), gonna attempt another MMCX mod. Not the same as the other one I already did.

IMG_20200121_131712a.jpg

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
Don't you dare translate for them what X6 means.
Or maybe do so. :astonished:

Better teach them early about buds before they look down on them like everyone else lol.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #55,302 of 75,267
Although they are small, they have already taken over some iem, and ignore from their BT headphones, only cable ... now they ask about my buds.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #55,304 of 75,267
Jun 21, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #55,305 of 75,267
A couple excerpts from my post about the Earin A-3 TWS earbuds here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/post-16418594

They sound a bit better than I recall the Sabbat X12 Pro (but maybe not better than the newer X12 Ultra). Unfortunately I cannot directly compare them as I modded both pairs of those.

The main contender for me though is the Samsung Buds Live, as both are an open, non-isolating TWS. I am using a non-Samsung Android source, so Apt-X on the A-3 but AAC on the Buds Live.

IMG_20210620_182933.jpg

After listening to both (A/B, no EQ) I find the A-3 has a slight veil to the sound or a bit less resolution in comparison. I find bass to reach a little deeper, sound a hair cleaner and have slightly better impact from the Buds Live. The mids and highs similarly are a bit better overall. The slight difference due to the veil/lack of resolution makes the A-3 sound like something is missing or sucked out somewhere in the mids (for me).

I took measurements of both with a digital caliper (length, height and thickness).

Earin A-3: 20.0mm x 17.1mm x 15.9mm
Buds Live: 27.4mm x 16.5mm x 14.9mm (14.7mm x 10.7mm)

The part of the Buds Live that covers the ear canal opening though is only 14.7mm tall and 10.7mm thick. Which is why they fit much better for me.

PhotoGrid_1624294737544.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back