Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 20, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #55,261 of 75,289
Not using the MX500 but will most likely buy them since you speak so highly of them, I would be interested to read your thoughts on an upgrade to them.

On another note, I just got the FAAEAL Iris Ancestor 32 ohm and I find them rather bad, bloated, boomy bass and recessed mids that make the Yincrow X6 sound like a TOTL bud, they lasted a mere 30 seconds in my ears and were relegated to "give as a gift" status and then to "I wouldn´t do this to a friend so I´ll keep the foams and thrown them away" status, I don´t have them now but I remember the RY4S sounding much better, those for me are the true cheapo champs.
Why would Faaeal bother to release something that bad tho? Maybe it was QC issue.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #55,262 of 75,289
Ok "OPEN SEASON" (Ali summer sale) starting in a few hours. I wish good lack and happy hunting to all bud-hunters :beerchug:
I hope that this season will be successful and that we will have a lot to talk about here :wink:

bh.jpg

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #55,263 of 75,289
Wonder if the QC is just that bad with them being a 4 usd bud....
I wrote this before, but the QC in China is so bad that even $350 Onmyoji buds which left side had almost no sound.
I think Chinese manufacturers think their customers are testers. Well, that's natural to some extent for products that are too cheap, but the same treatment for $300 products is...
And return postal fee was almost on my own. :scream:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #55,264 of 75,289
Wonder if the QC is just that bad with them being a 4 usd bud....

Why would Faaeal bother to release something that bad tho? Maybe it was QC issue.
You´re probably right regarding the QC, I´m also not the biggest believer in burn in and I can´t be bothered to give them more time because life´s too short to listen through bad gear, the loss is also minimal.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #55,265 of 75,289
I wrote this before, but the QC in China is so bad that even $350 Onmyoji buds which left side had almost no sound.
And return postal fee was almost on my own.
Its the curse of chi-fi...

I dont demand top tier QC for all these budget buds in the 0-10 usd range...but when we get to the 100+ area, I sure want it to be good...

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #55,266 of 75,289
I have both MX500 and RY4S Plus. I think the NiceHCK are really good, not only for the price, but in my opinion the Plus are better in every way. The MX500, in comparison, sound hollow, and with a certain veil. The Plus, instead, sound more open, with more detailed bass (not only quality, but also quantity) and crispier. The real upgrade to the Plus came at home with the M2s Pro, to the point that I have ordered the 150 Ohm gold driver.

Don't take me wrong, the MX500 is really good, and what I call better could simply be a different sound profile for others, but I think the Plus are something special and great, that deserves everyone giving it a try. Even considering the Smabat is superior, I won't miss the chance to buy the 300 Ohm version, that in words of an appreciated member of a spanish forum, is more refined than the Plus.

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #55,267 of 75,289
Its the curse of chi-fi...

I dont demand top tier QC for all these budget buds in the 0-10 usd range...but when we get to the 100+ area, I sure want it to be good...
When you want to buy earbuds of over $100, you should preferably choose to buy from Amazon, if possible.
I actually decided to buy the Old Green smabat st-10 from Amazon. This made it very easy to replace the Shell which had a faulty MMCX component. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #55,268 of 75,289
When you are in the area of over100, you should preferably choose to buy from Amazon.
I actually decided to buy the Old Green smabat st-10 from Amazon. This made it very easy to replace the Shell which had a faulty MMCX component. :sweat:
Not always possible as most buds arent there....

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #55,269 of 75,289
I have both MX500 and RY4S Plus. I think the NiceHCK are really good, not only for the price, but in my opinion the Plus are better in every way. The MX500, in comparison, sound hollow, and with a certain veil. The Plus, instead, sound more open, with more detailed bass (not only quality, but also quantity) and crispier. The real upgrade to the Plus came at home with the M2s Pro, to the point that I have ordered the 150 Ohm gold driver.

Don't take me wrong, the MX500 is really good, and what I call better could simply be a different sound profile for others, but I think the Plus are something special and great, that deserves everyone giving it a try. Even considering the Smabat is superior, I won't miss the chance to buy the 300 Ohm version, that in words of an appreciated member of a spanish forum, is more refined than the Plus.
There is split opinion about Plus and 300ohm version. The Plus is the latest version of OG and 300ohm. And you are right about Plus, amazing value for the money.
I suspect that NiceHCK use similar or the same driver like EMX500 15.4mm (OG EMX500 was 14.8mm)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #55,270 of 75,289
Not using the MX500 but will most likely buy them since you speak so highly of them, I would be interested to read your thoughts on an upgrade to them.

On another note, I just got the FAAEAL Iris Ancestor 32 ohm and I find them rather bad, bloated, boomy bass and recessed mids that make the Yincrow X6 sound like a TOTL bud, they lasted a mere 30 seconds in my ears and were relegated to "give as a gift" status and then to "I wouldn´t do this to a friend so I´ll keep the foams and thrown them away" status, I don´t have them now but I remember the RY4S sounding much better, those for me are the true cheapo champs.
It could be QC I guess. I got a pair of Iris CE a while back and my unit doesn't sound like what others have heard, and sounds worse than some cheaper buds I have. So pretty sure there are some issues with mine. 😂 But of course not ruling out difference in personal preference as well. I find it not that bad for me still. Bass is a bit bloated for me, but it's kinda like that with most cheaper buds that I think tries to go for a warmer and more analogue sounding tonality (k's nameless, kbear stellar). But the mids for me sounded okay still. I think it's a small step up from the vidos i've tried, but nothing really mind blowing. I find that 10 dollars is usually where I get that clear step up. Around the same price as the ancestor, I think the nicehck traceless is probably still more my cup of tea, though i know some might not be a fan of the leaner sound overall. :grin:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #55,271 of 75,289
Don't be sure.
DIY 130ohm Beryllium :wink: and probably one of DIY 19-21KHz 32ohms
130 bery and 19 21 - 32 ohm are much better than the Nicehck mx500. I have them all

Bros, have read that beryllium is toxic to process. I know the beryllium driver comes already manufactured and in solid form it is harmless, but please take precautions when soldering and hope the driver dome itself doesn't get damaged in the DIY process!

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/beryllium.html

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/396321/Focal-Utopia-Beryllium.html?page=2#manual

Even focal utopia has some warning in the manual about the beryllium driver!

focal utopia.PNG

But I'm sure u guys are pros in the DIY buds arena, so maybe this warning is for newbies like me at soldering when it comes to dealing with beryllium gear.

Ok "OPEN SEASON" (Ali summer sale) starting in a few hours. I wish good lack and happy hunting to all bud-hunters :beerchug:
I hope that this season will be successful and that we will have a lot to talk about here :wink:

Anybody see any good discounts for well regarded buds?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #55,274 of 75,289
Bros, have read that beryllium is toxic to process. I know the beryllium driver comes already manufactured and in solid form it is harmless, but please take precautions when soldering and hope the driver dome itself doesn't get damaged in the DIY process!

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/beryllium.html

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/396321/Focal-Utopia-Beryllium.html?page=2#manual

Even focal utopia has some warning in the manual about the beryllium driver!

focal utopia.PNG

But I'm sure u guys are pros in the DIY buds arena, so maybe this warning is for newbies like me at soldering when it comes to dealing with beryllium gear.
As long as you don't sand, grind, or directly burn the diaphragms and inhale the resulting dust or fumes one should be perfectly safe. Beryllium poisoning is most always by inhalation and absorption by the lungs.

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #55,275 of 75,289
As long as you don't sand, grind, or directly burn the diaphragms and inhale the resulting dust or fumes one should be perfectly safe. Beryllium poisoning is most always by inhalation and absorption by the lungs.

Good advise.

Though do beryllium containing drivers break down over time? Or say during soldering or DIY tasks, if one accidentally damages the diaphragm, that's what I'm worried about.

Anyway, beryllium is also all the rage for drivers in 2020. Seems most CHIFI wanna ride on the beryllium hypetrain. I suspect a few companies are namedropping Beryllium just to stand out from the ultra tough competition at the budget segment. Some beryllium gear I've heard (in IEMs), really have great textured bass and they take EQ like a champ, I consider those to be hallmarks of sorts for beryllium sets. But I've heard other so called beryllium products that don't sound that way, they don't sound any different from conventional drivers. Possibly the companies just sprinkled a few flakes of beryllium and called it a day, not sure if the beryllium in this case even contributes to the sound or is just a marketing gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back