Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 21, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #34,516 of 62,137
Very late to the party, but I finally got my amazon echobuds! Now I have Bezos in my ears!
After playing around bit, first impression is that the active noise REDUCTION is much better than many other buds' noise CANCELLATIONS ... very impressive. Also helps that I am getting a really nice fit.
Sonically I am not blown away, but also not disappointed .. they are 'nice'
What irks me though is that, wanting to try out the smart features and maybe do a firmware update, I tried that Alexa app . first I had to create a dummy amazon account (...reasons...) and when that finally kinda worked it would first detect the buds and then again not ... I have not been able to successfully connect the buds to the alexa app ... might give it another try tomorrow, but I actually deleted the app as for unknown reasons my phone was not able to detect my home wifi networks anymore when that app was active ... bit creepy!
That's really nasty that you need an app that you have to sign into in order to do firmware update (and according to soundguys the FW update fixed an overheating issue)

And if all goes well I am getting the xm4 sometime in August, hopefully before my birthday

In the meantime ... still somewhat tempted to get the MTW2 ... :D everytime I see that on someone's shortlist ...
Tonally, there's probably something besides the MTW2 you could get for the same amount of money, though they have a unique sound signature.

Enjoy those Echo buds!

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #34,517 of 62,137
I've had the Earin A-3's a couple days now.

IMG_20210620_130306.jpg

IMG_20210620_130316.jpg

IMG_20210620_130653.jpg

IMG_20210620_131148.jpg

IMG_20210620_133054.jpg

They sound a bit better than I recall the Sabbat X12 Pro (but maybe not better than the newer X12 Ultra). Unfortunately I cannot directly compare them as I modded both pairs of those.

The main contender for me though is the Samsung Buds Live, as both are an open, non-isolating TWS. I am using a non-Samsung Android source, so Apt-X on the A-3 but AAC on the Buds Live.

IMG_20210620_182933.jpg

IMG_20210620_182836.jpg

After listening to both (A/B, no EQ) I find the A-3 has a slight veil to the sound or a bit less resolution in comparison. I find bass to reach a little deeper, sound a hair cleaner and have slightly better impact from the Buds Live. The mids and highs similarly are a bit better overall. The slight difference due to the veil/lack of resolution makes the A-3 sound like something is missing or sucked out somewhere in the mids (for me).

That difference in the low end is probably why @erockg thought the Buds Live isolated better than the A-3. Similar to the effect of a properly sealing/fitting ear tip vs a borderline one. Or perhaps that is just due to his ear anatomy.

For me the A-3 actually covers or blocks more of my ear canal opening but I find the lack of isolation in general similar to the Buds Live. I took measurements of both with a digital caliper (length, height and thickness).

Earin A-3: 20.0mm x 17.1mm x 15.9mm
Buds Live: 27.4mm x 16.5mm x 14.9mm (14.7mm x 10.7mm)

The part of the Buds Live that covers the ear canal opening though is only 14.7mm tall and 10.7mm thick. Which is why they fit much better for me.

PhotoGrid_1624294737544.jpg

All that being said, they are not bad but not good enough for me to keep. Especially as they are not comfortable for me and my smaller ears.

I tried different positions and even earbud foams, it just doesn't quite work for me. The first way I tried has slightly less bass but is the least uncomfortable, the second is how Earin recommends wearing it but hotspots within 15-20 minutes for me and with the foams it's too large and won't drop into the concha like it should... even though it sounds the best that way.

PhotoGrid_1624294646399.jpg

The other problem with using foams is adding then removing them every time, as they block the charging contacts.

IMG_20210621_093403.jpg

One other negative (for me) worth a mention is that they will not change to the 'classic' control scheme available in their app. Even after updating the A-3's firmware (and resetting).

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #34,518 of 62,137
I think wireless would make Amps and Dacs obsolete in the future.

Also when wireless IEMS get reviewed they will sound more similar compared to wired IEMS, no need to worry about AMP/DAC and IEM synergy etc. So reviews hopefully will be more reliable.

Things to improve on is the sound quality, wireless connection, lag and battery life. Wireless still has ways to go before catching up to wired still. So for now wired IEMS are here to stay.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #34,519 of 62,137

IMG_20210620_130306.jpg
IMG_20210620_130316.jpg
IMG_20210620_130653.jpg
IMG_20210620_131148.jpg
IMG_20210620_133054.jpg

They sound a bit better than I recall the Sabbat X12 Pro (but maybe not better than the newer X12 Ultra). Unfortunately I cannot directly compare them as I modded both pairs of those.

The main contender for me though is the Samsung Buds Live, as both are an open, non-isolating TWS. I am using a non-Samsung Android source, so Apt-X on the A-3 but AAC on the Buds Live.

IMG_20210620_182933.jpg
IMG_20210620_182836.jpg

After listening to both (A/B, no EQ) I find the A-3 has a slight veil to the sound or a bit less resolution in comparison. I find bass to reach a little deeper, sound a hair cleaner and have slightly better impact from the Buds Live. The mids and highs similarly are a bit better overall. The slight difference due to the veil/lack of resolution makes the A-3 sound like something is missing or sucked out somewhere in the mids (for me).

That difference in the low end is probably why @erockg thought the Buds Live isolated better than the A-3. Similar to the effect of a properly sealing/fitting ear tip vs a borderline one. Or perhaps that is just due to his ear anatomy.

For me the A-3 actually covers or blocks more of my ear canal opening but I find the lack of isolation in general similar to the Buds Live. I took measurements of both with a digital caliper (length, height and thickness).

The part of the Buds Live that covers the ear canal opening though is only 14.7mm tall and 10.7mm thick. Which is why they fit much better for me.

All that being said, they are not bad but not good enough for me to keep. Especially as they are not comfortable for me and my smaller ears.

I tried different positions and even earbud foams, it just doesn't quite work for me. The first way I tried has slightly less bass but is the least uncomfortable, the second is how Earin recommends wearing it but hotspots within 15-20 minutes for me and with the foams it's too large and won't drop into the concha like it should... even though it sounds the best that way.

The other problem with using foams is adding then removing them every time, as they block the charging contacts.

IMG_20210621_093403.jpg

One other negative (for me) worth a mention is that they will not change to the 'classic' control scheme available in their app. Even after updating the A-3's firmware (and resetting).
Looks like you gave them a thorough comparison and a fair shake. So your ears prefer the beans? Interesting and pretty cool.

For what it's worth, it looks like the A3 are also developing a hot spot on your ears. The bottom half looks a little more irritated, so chances are that's why they're giving you a little grief.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #34,520 of 62,137
Wireless will rule eventually, but the question is whenever wireless adapters (like the Fiio UTWS3) can make an impact among the head-fi community, if that's the case then detachable wired IEMS should stay with us for quite some time. Atm the adapters are way behind TWS imo tho.

The very first major step in years will be the full implemention of BT 5.2/LE Audio, that step will solve a lot of issues currently plauging the True Wireless market.

*Standardised Low latency/low energy codec (LC3/LC3 plus)
*Standardised R/L connection (instead of Master/Slave)
*Standardised multistream/multi audio (multipoint)

etc

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #34,521 of 62,137
Looks like you gave them a thorough comparison and a fair shake. So your ears prefer the beans? Interesting and pretty cool.

For what it's worth, it looks like the A3 are also developing a hot spot on your ears. The bottom half looks a little more irritated, so chances are that's why they're giving you a little grief.
Yep. Way more pressure both at the back and at the front. You can see how they press against the front when you look at the area the Buds Live curve around.
Wireless will rule eventually, but question is if wireless adapters (like the Fiio UTWS3) can make an impact among the head-fi community, if that's the case then detachable wired IEMS should stay with us for quite some time. Atm the adapters are way behind TWS imo tho.

The very major step in years will be the full implemetioin of BT 5.2/LE Audio, that step will solve a lot of issues currently plauging the True Wireless market.
I find the adapters a great solution for going cable less with both IEM's and Earbuds.

But they aren't as technology packed as TWS are. Really good ANC is not really feasible (no internal mic) and hear through/ambient would be a crapshoot given most only have 1 mic per side. They could add a second mic and possibly get ok feed forward ANC and ambient, depending on implementation.

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #34,522 of 62,137
Yep. Way more pressure both at the back and at the front. You can see how they press against the front when you look at the area the Buds Live curve around.

I find the adapters a great solution for going cable less with both IEM's and Earbuds.

But they aren't as technology packed as TWS are. Really good ANC is not really feasible (no internal mic) and hear through/ambient would be a crapshoot given most only have 1 mic per side. They could add a second mic and possibly get ok feed forward ANC and ambient, depending on implementation.

Yea, that's exactly my issues with the currents adapters, there's so much tech missing. Along with the fact that both the case and adpaters are really bulky, I just can't put the case in my pocket like I can with proper tws. I would love to once again buy a pair of proper 300-500$ IEMs if the adapters were up to the task.

But it's great for home use/longer travels, but then you'll also face competition from full-size headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #34,523 of 62,137
Yea, that's exactly my issues with the currents adapters, there's so much tech missing. Along with the fact that both the case and adpaters are really bulky, I just can't put the case in my pocket like I can with proper tws. I would love to once again buy a pair of proper 300-500$ IEMs if the adapters were up to the task.

But it's great for home use/longer travels, but then you'll also face competition from full-size headphones.
Yeah, I completely see where you're coming from.

I consider adapters more like a wireless cable replacement. Instead of looking at having all the convenience factors of recent/higher end TWS. For some of us that's enough.

I agree though, bringing those to TWS adapters could possibly help the IEM market in the long run.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #34,524 of 62,137

Yeah, I completely see where you're coming from.

I consider adapters more like a wireless cable replacement. Instead of looking at having all the convenience factors of recent/higher end TWS.
Because they more or less are. Even I agree with that assessment. They're still too niche a product, in my opinion. The CF01 are fantastic, but look at how few people are willing to pay the asking price and I imagine the lack of TWS features is a huge part of that. My guess is the amplification they use is where all that cost goes.

But I also think they'll continue to coexist; for every person wanting a do-it-all device, there's another who just wants to cut the cable and doesn't want all the extra stuff. I'm both, depending on the day :)

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #34,525 of 62,137
Speaking of cases, even tho it looks like I will return the Sony XM4, I really think they nailed the case. It's a perfect size/shape, strong magnets, sturdy hinge and there's wireless charging.

The Airpods pro case is a bit too small for my taste, whilst Sony hit my personal sweet spot in terms of size/shape.

I also like what Sony did with the LED, it's big and you can see it both when the case is closed and opened.

If only there was a TWS with the case/features/build of the Sony and the fit/sound of the CA MT!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #34,526 of 62,137
Because they more or less are. Even I agree with that assessment. They're still too niche a product, in my opinion. The CF01 are fantastic, but look at how few people are willing to pay the asking price and I imagine the lack of TWS features is a huge part of that. My guess is the amplification they use is where all that cost goes.

But I also think they'll continue to coexist; for every person wanting a do-it-all device, there's another who just wants to cut the cable and doesn't want all the extra stuff. I'm both, depending on the day :)
Me too.

Actually case size was also a consideration for me. I haven't stepped up to the CF01, UTWS3 or BT20S Pro. I find being able to fit both my older BT20S and MMCX earbuds or small IEMs into a zippered case way more convenient to carry.

If the UTWS3 had wireless charging I probably would have bit though.

Attachments

• IMG_20190919_000146.jpg
    IMG_20190919_000146.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190919_000057.jpg
    IMG_20190919_000057.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190707_105032.jpg
    20190707_105032.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 21, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #34,527 of 62,137
Speaking of cases, even tho it looks like I will return the Sony XM4, I really think they nailed the case. It's a perfect size/shape, strong magnets, sturdy hinge and there's wireless charging.

The Airpods pro case is a bit too small for my taste, whilst Sony hit my personal sweet spot in terms of size/shape.

I also like what Sony did with the LED, it's big and you can see it both when the case is closed and opened.

If only there was a TWS with the case/features/build of the Sony and the fit/sound of the CA MT!
You're right; that Sony case looks great and it's a huge upgrade from what they had before. I find the following cases to be fantastically pocketable:
  • JBL Club Pro+
  • Jabra Elite Active 75t
  • UE FITS
Everything else (with the exception of the CF01 and potentially the Between Pro) are well within the same threshold, but don't quite disappear in your pocket like the other ones. Even the 85t is just a hair larger and it's perceptible. Most people probably won't care, but it's something worth mentioning.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #34,528 of 62,137
Me too.

Actually case size was also a consideration for me. I haven't stepped up to the CF01, UTWS3 or BT20S Pro. I find being able to fit both my older BT20S and MMCX earbuds or small IEMs into a zippered case way more convenient to carry.

If the UTWS3 had wireless charging I probably would have bit though.
I remember considering a bunch of those cases for the Chi-Fi stuff. Ended up going with the dollar Pelican knock-offs instead. I have regrets.

That larger case for the CF01 is a godsend, though. So nice to just take one thing and go. And that one thing doesn't even need an additional charging cable to last the better part of a week. It's awesome. Shame I don't have T2 adapters; have a feeling the Ety Evo that's supposed to show up today would make an awesome pairing.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #34,529 of 62,137
I remember considering a bunch of those cases for the Chi-Fi stuff. Ended up going with the dollar Pelican knock-offs instead. I have regrets.

Yeah, I had two of those. One I gave away with a ZSN and the other has become storage for silica packs lol.

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #34,530 of 62,137

IMG_20210620_130306.jpg
IMG_20210620_130316.jpg
IMG_20210620_130653.jpg
IMG_20210620_131148.jpg
IMG_20210620_133054.jpg

IMG_20210620_182933.jpg
IMG_20210620_182836.jpg

IMG_20210621_093403.jpg

Interesting how the ‘handle’ looks so similar compared to the new beats. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back