Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 29, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #53,161 of 75,271
Its at 130 usd now and you can probably get it a bit lower with coupons.

I ordered it.
I think I'd rather buy another DAP. for that money. :frowning2:

I have Fiio M3K, Shanling M0, Walnut F2/V2S and just ordered Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, before the sale. I suck at saving.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #53,162 of 75,271

I have Fiio M3K, Shanling M0, Walnut F2/V2S and just ordered Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.
I would probably recommend the Ifi hip-dac for an amp at around that price. But IMO the X6 is at a level where it could be endgame for some bud users, personally I want an upgrade since I am too used to the mid-tier iems and that does make the X6 lack a lot in technicalities.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #53,163 of 75,271

I have Fiio M3K, Shanling M0, Walnut F2/V2S and just ordered Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, before the sale. I suck at saving.
transducers > source

Transducers trump source equipment every time in my book.

Mar 29, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #53,164 of 75,271
transducers > source

Transducers trump source equipment every time in my book.
Yeah, agree. Unless your source is already lacking then its much better to just upgrade the transducer.

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #53,165 of 75,271
Hi all,

few reports since last time I posted and a big news:

- tested deeply the Smabat ST10s and to me they are a lower quality than my best hearphone to date: the Sennheiser MX980

- tested also for fun (a much cheaper) the NICEHCK ME80 and the NICEHCK DIY MX500 PK1: they are very much entry level, although the ME is enjoyable, still missing punch and fidelity

- tested the Koss KSC75 Stereo, that although they cannot probably be called earbud and they are honestly ugly, they have probably the best cost/performance ratio I have ever found. The sound is good, proper and ample, wide but not exaggerated. Not at the clean fidelity and bass quality of the Sennheiser MX980, but very much enjoyable on a daily basis.

And here the big news: I think I am probably not allowed to post here ebay links, but if you search you will find not only that I am reselling the Smabat ST10s but that I am selling something that I was so lucky to find in a double quantity: a new and unopened box of Sennheiser MX760 and especially a new and unopened box of Sennheiser OMX980. Difficult to put a value on this latter, but I guess that due to its rarity and sound quality can worth well 300 euros.

If someone wants to make me in offer outside ebay (before anyone make a bid), please PM me or otherwise if you are interested good bidding :wink:

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #53,168 of 75,271
Mar 29, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #53,169 of 75,271
Wow, the Rose Masya is incredible, My wallet may not be safe from the Maria.
Sound stage and resolution is next level, The warm sweet mids, extended but non fatiguing treble, incredible, the bass is fast and detailed, it's no bass head earbud, but I still enjoy the bass, I'd compare it to the moondrop ssr's detail and speed, though it doesn't have the same thump the ssr still has.

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #53,170 of 75,271
My dinky ears and ear canals will simply not tolerate bits of rubber or silicone shoved in so, after trying a few IEMs (even AirPod Pros), I gave up. So mostly, I listen using conventional headphones... Koss Porta-Pros on the go, and balanced Meze 99 Noirs at home. I also have original AirPods, and I can wear those, too, but wireless sound quality suffers. So after canvassing this thread (and other online sources), I thought I'd give classic earbuds a try (the old Apple ones fit okay, so I thought I'd see about finding something better). So far, I've purchased two, both from Penon. The EA (Earphones Anonymous) buds seemed a good start at relatively low price, and I liked those. Then I decided to try another well-reviewed pair that, while not costing an arm and leg, still cost an arm (for me, anyway)... Penon's own BS1 Official balanced earbuds. I am happy with both of those buds, but there are a few issues:

My ears are still so dinky that the buds won't stay in if I use foams, so I wear them nekkid. I'm using a Hiby R5 Saber for most of my portable listening, but without any EQ adjustment, neither sounded especially great (Porta-Pros and Mezes sound very good without any EQ). I have a fairly large collection of music on the SD card, but I'm also listening to streamed music from Qobuz. So I started fiddling with Hiby's MSEB settings (their alternate EQ system), and darned if it didn't work! Now both buds sound quite good, even nekkid.

Yet, I'm wondering whether there are any other buds I might try, in particular buds that might be smaller in diameter than the ones I have. I don't have calipers, and could not find diameter specs online, but both buds I have are around 16.5mm (near as I can tell). I did read somewhere that OurArt's flagship buds are somewhat smaller (16mm?), but the cost is in the arm AND leg category, so i don't want to purchase without really knowing.

So sorry for the lengthy build-up to my question, but here goes: Could anyone in the know recommend buds smaller and even better than those I have that I might be able to wear with foams? Also, are there any such buds that allow replaceable cables for balanced and/or single-ended? I believe the OurArt flagship buds use replaceable MMCX cables, for example...

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #53,171 of 75,271
My dinky ears and ear canals will simply not tolerate bits of rubber or silicone shoved in so, after trying a few IEMs (even AirPod Pros), I gave up. So mostly, I listen using conventional headphones... Koss Porta-Pros on the go, and balanced Meze 99 Noirs at home. I also have original AirPods, and I can wear those, too, but wireless sound quality suffers. So after canvassing this thread (and other online sources), I thought I'd give classic earbuds a try (the old Apple ones fit okay, so I thought I'd see about finding something better). So far, I've purchased two, both from Penon. The EA (Earphones Anonymous) buds seemed a good start at relatively low price, and I liked those. Then I decided to try another well-reviewed pair that, while not costing an arm and leg, still cost an arm (for me, anyway)... Penon's own BS1 Official balanced earbuds. I am happy with both of those buds, but there are a few issues:

My ears are still so dinky that the buds won't stay in if I use foams, so I wear them nekkid. I'm using a Hiby R5 Saber for most of my portable listening, but without any EQ adjustment, neither sounded especially great (Porta-Pros and Mezes sound very good without any EQ). I have a fairly large collection of music on the SD card, but I'm also listening to streamed music from Qobuz. So I started fiddling with Hiby's MSEB settings (their alternate EQ system), and darned if it didn't work! Now both buds sound quite good, even nekkid.

Yet, I'm wondering whether there are any other buds I might try, in particular buds that might be smaller in diameter than the ones I have. I don't have calipers, and could not find diameter specs online, but both buds I have are around 16.5mm (near as I can tell). I did read somewhere that OurArt's flagship buds are somewhat smaller (16mm?), but the cost is in the arm AND leg category, so i don't want to purchase without really knowing.

So sorry for the lengthy build-up to my question, but here goes: Could anyone in the know recommend buds smaller and even better than those I have that I might be able to wear with foams? Also, are there any such buds that allow replaceable cables for balanced and/or single-ended? I believe the OurArt flagship buds use replaceable MMCX cables, for example...

Thanks!
Toneking Viridis and Edifier H185 are both: relatively small and generally well-received.

Viridis: this is good for you as it has mmcx.

H185: outstanding price/performance value here as it sounds pretty much as good as Viridis with very similar tuning.

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #53,172 of 75,271
My Turandots cable started oxidizing. Anyone had this happen? I keep mine stored in a campfire audio pouch inside its original box with silica gel. Shame, the perfectly gaudy gold cables will be no more soon :laughing:

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #53,173 of 75,271

Thanks!

Some 14.8mm driver earbuds. Yuin PK1/PK2, Shozy has some. These are 16.1mm

The best fitting buds I've had are the K's LBB. They are 16.1-16.3mm iirc.

The earbuds anonymous buds are larger 15.4mm drivers and are possibly 16.7/16.8mm in diameter.

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #53,174 of 75,271
I would probably recommend the Ifi hip-dac for an amp at around that price. But IMO the X6 is at a level where it could be endgame for some bud users, personally I want an upgrade since I am too used to the mid-tier iems and that does make the X6 lack a lot in technicalities.
I own the iFi Hip Dac, the new Fiio Q3 THX, and the Topping NX4 DSD - I reach for the Fiio every time. Wider soundstage than the Hip Dac, less clinical than the NX4, and only one cable (data/power shared). Prices are nearly identical for the three, but I'd recommend the Q3 in a heartbeat. Alternately, if you don't need a battery the K3 can be had for 2/3 the cost and is a lovely little transportable dac/amp.

My $.02, ymmv

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back