Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #53,176 of 75,139
Yeah, agree. Unless your source is already lacking then its much better to just upgrade the transducer.

Yes agree too. The exception is if we are talking about TOTL transducers eg summitFI IEM/earbuds. These TOTL sets have a huge lot of diminishing returns compared to midfi gear, but moving from budget to midfi there are huge benefits. But going from midfi to TOTL, I kinda feel we are paying 10 times more for perhaps 10% sonic improvement. Different strokes for different folks, some wanna chase the last 10% sonic fidelity, but the sweetspot is around the midfi segment in my book.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #53,177 of 75,139
My dinky ears and ear canals will simply not tolerate bits of rubber or silicone shoved in so, after trying a few IEMs (even AirPod Pros), I gave up. So mostly, I listen using conventional headphones... Koss Porta-Pros on the go, and balanced Meze 99 Noirs at home. I also have original AirPods, and I can wear those, too, but wireless sound quality suffers. So after canvassing this thread (and other online sources), I thought I'd give classic earbuds a try (the old Apple ones fit okay, so I thought I'd see about finding something better). So far, I've purchased two, both from Penon. The EA (Earphones Anonymous) buds seemed a good start at relatively low price, and I liked those. Then I decided to try another well-reviewed pair that, while not costing an arm and leg, still cost an arm (for me, anyway)... Penon's own BS1 Official balanced earbuds. I am happy with both of those buds, but there are a few issues:

My ears are still so dinky that the buds won't stay in if I use foams, so I wear them nekkid. I'm using a Hiby R5 Saber for most of my portable listening, but without any EQ adjustment, neither sounded especially great (Porta-Pros and Mezes sound very good without any EQ). I have a fairly large collection of music on the SD card, but I'm also listening to streamed music from Qobuz. So I started fiddling with Hiby's MSEB settings (their alternate EQ system), and darned if it didn't work! Now both buds sound quite good, even nekkid.

Yet, I'm wondering whether there are any other buds I might try, in particular buds that might be smaller in diameter than the ones I have. I don't have calipers, and could not find diameter specs online, but both buds I have are around 16.5mm (near as I can tell). I did read somewhere that OurArt's flagship buds are somewhat smaller (16mm?), but the cost is in the arm AND leg category, so i don't want to purchase without really knowing.

So sorry for the lengthy build-up to my question, but here goes: Could anyone in the know recommend buds smaller and even better than those I have that I might be able to wear with foams? Also, are there any such buds that allow replaceable cables for balanced and/or single-ended? I believe the OurArt flagship buds use replaceable MMCX cables, for example...

Thanks!
I recommend the following small diameter earbuds to you.

OURART QJ21 (MMCX cable) OURART flagship buds, diameter 16mm
https://penonaudio.com/ourart-qj21.html

OURART Ti7 (MMCX cable) diameter 16mm
https://penonaudio.com/ourart-ti7.html

ISN Rambo II (MMCX cable) ISN flagship buds, diameter 16mm
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-rambo-ii.html

Edifier H185 (none MMCX) diameter 16.1mm
https://www.amazon.com//dp/B01C7XBAFQ?th=1

qian39 (none MMCX) diameter 16.1mm
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32800262628.html

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #53,178 of 75,139
Nobody using portable tube amps with buds?🤣I just blind buy@ Aliexpress, will see how it turn out.
Screenshot_20210325-144303_AliExpress.jpg

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #53,179 of 75,139
Another pic of my soon arriving Blur 266 aPs earbuds from Wong @ Blur
1617091529990.png

Wong has now added a MX 32Ω option to the Blur 173 line...
Further expanding the line to: two "PK" options (32/150Ω); five (5) "MX" options (32/64/150/300/400Ω); and two (2) "MX aPs" options (300/400Ω).
1617091837357.png

And last but not least another new pic of his Blur 266 Pk32 (32Ω) model
1617092125160.png

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #53,180 of 75,139
Yes agree too. The exception is if we are talking about TOTL transducers eg summitFI IEM/earbuds. These TOTL sets have a huge lot of diminishing returns compared to midfi gear, but moving from budget to midfi there are huge benefits. But going from midfi to TOTL, I kinda feel we are paying 10 times more for perhaps 10% sonic improvement. Different strokes for different folks, some wanna chase the last 10% sonic fidelity, but the sweetspot is around the midfi segment in my book.
Totally agree. In my personal case with TOLT talking about 10% better than midfi is very optimistic, I thought ... "yes, it's a little better, I know how this sound is, it's not worth paying that much".

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #53,183 of 75,139
Well, my curiosity is still in trying a high impedance headphone, these days the possibility of getting a YINMAN 600 vanished, which met two things, warmth and good bass plus high impedance.
I would at this time delay the purchase of Yinman600 for another period of time, the seller, on the wave of hype, raised prices in his store, it is not worth it to spend more than $80 on it.

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #53,184 of 75,139
I would at this time delay the purchase of Yinman600 for another period of time, the seller, on the wave of hype, raised prices in his store, it is not worth it to spend more than $80 on it.

Yes I saw it. Luckily there are many more buds on the market. Knowing this preference, when you experience something in the yinman warmth line, share it!

Mar 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #53,185 of 75,139
Yes I saw it. Luckily there are many more buds on the market. Knowing this preference, when you experience something in the yinman warmth line, share it!
Check out FAAEAL Rosemary: 150 ohm, bassy and warm.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #53,186 of 75,139
ok, what is SEX edition? This supposed to have Titanium alloy inside.🤣 Screenshot_20210330-182000_Lazada.jpg

might be a typo...

it should be SLEX edition :smile:

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #53,190 of 75,139
Earbuds so good it feels like your ears are having sex with the sound.

My Yincrow X6's are in my country, shouldn't be too long now until they arrive.
This must be a grade higher then bass edition then!🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back