Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 14, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #52,351 of 75,273
I've been out of the head-fi game for a few years, finally getting back into it now and I'm looking forward to adding some more Monks to my collection. Imagine my surprise logging back on after 3 or 4 years and finding out that not only are the Monks still available, but are thriving with even more additions. Looking forward to checking out the Monk+ SPC as well as the Monk Lite, not to mention the other buds from ali that I got my eyes on.
Welcome back to the fold; great timing as plenty has happened with earbuds!

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #52,352 of 75,273
Welcome back to the fold; great timing as plenty has happened with earbuds!

I am slowly starting to see that. There are some intriguing lower-priced buds I've got my eye on from brands I'm unfamiliar with like FENGRU or Cat Ear Audio, as well as some new stuff from old standbys like TY Hi-Z and FAAEAL, not to mention all the new VE models.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades buds. :ksc75smile:

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #52,354 of 75,273
I am slowly starting to see that. There are some intriguing lower-priced buds I've got my eye on from brands I'm unfamiliar with like FENGRU or Cat Ear Audio, as well as some new stuff from old standbys like TY Hi-Z and FAAEAL, not to mention all the new VE models.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades buds. :ksc75smile:
FENGRU is more like DIY brand and if you are familiar with DIY stuffs you can build a similar model for less money.
TY Hi-Z have a nice lineup of buds, but they have not done anything new for a long time

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #52,355 of 75,273
EM5 failed again... not playing any sound from both drivers. 🤬
We joked a lot about EM5 but this is getting serious now. What do you think it's: cables or drivers failure?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #52,356 of 75,273
We joked a lot about EM5 but this is getting serious now. What do you think it's: cables or drivers failure?

Since both previous sets had cable issues, I'm suspecting cable as well. This time I have to bring it to the distributor instead of the audio shop.

I also just found out the the carrying case had some missing stitches at the flap area where it opens up. The surprises just keep coming...

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #52,357 of 75,273
Since both previous sets had cable issues, I'm suspecting cable as well. This time I have to bring it to the distributor instead of the audio shop.
I don't know what to say man. It's a real shame
That's why I analyze every single bud, in some cases maybe I sound harsh, or I'm too strict but given the different experiences I have had, I think some conclusions can be drawn from the critique that can help. Most of us are sometimes too fascinated by the look or the specification itself and at that point we make a hasty decision, so any advice comes in handy.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #52,358 of 75,273

I also just found out the the carrying case had some missing stitches at the flap area where it opens up. The surprises just keep coming...

Hope u get it sorted out friend. Luckily u bought it locally, I hope they will honor the warranty. Could be worse, like if you had to send it back to China and the costs can be prohibitive, or the whole parcel might just get lost in logistics purgatory.

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #52,360 of 75,273
Are you using a balanced plug? Swap to the 3.5mm plug and see if it makes a difference. I'm thinking it might be the contacts at the detachable plug.

I tried that too but the plugs have nothing to do with the issue. I just have to take out more time to make another trip for RMA. The hassle just spoils the experience for me and my impression of the brand.

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #52,362 of 75,273
I've been using Bell LB ksearphone for a few days, and as I asked for recommendations here, which is less than a small review. I'm not going to get into evaluations with ethereal terminology ... just keep in mind that this is the first set of buds that I have used for a long time (ry4s plus are terribly uncomfortable for me).

The fit is perfect.

Simply the bass very satisfactory for me, I never heard a treble extension like here, sharp and well I come from the iem world, so until I burn my brain I am missing something ... but in short I bought them for the adjustment and against my expectations (I assumed that I would not like the sound signature), it is a more than acceptable value for the price (€ 30).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #52,363 of 75,273
Now to wait patiently for PK1 and PK2 DIY for which I pulled the trigger recommended by @furyossa .

Apparently I am coddled to avoid the 15.4mm so with these three games it is enough for an initiation into the world of buds.

It is true that I would like something with high impedance to use with E1DA SG3, but I will wait for pk1 150 ohm transparent film to see the performance.

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #52,364 of 75,273
I've been using Bell LB ksearphone for a few days, and as I asked for recommendations here, which is less than a small review. I'm not going to get into evaluations with ethereal terminology ... just keep in mind that this is the first set of buds that I have used for a long time (ry4s plus are terribly uncomfortable for me).

The fit is perfect.

Simply the bass very satisfactory for me, I never heard a treble extension like here, sharp and well I come from the iem world, so until I burn my brain I am missing something ... but in short I bought them for the adjustment and against my expectations (I assumed that I would not like the sound signature), it is a more than acceptable value for the price (€ 30).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post some pictures, you know the drill :wink:

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #52,365 of 75,273
Now to wait patiently for PK1 and PK2 DIY for which I pulled the trigger recommended by @furyossa .

Apparently I am coddled to avoid the 15.4mm so with these three games it is enough for an initiation into the world of buds.

It is true that I would like something with high impedance to use with E1DA SG3, but I will wait for pk1 150 ohm transparent film to see the performance.
Nokia HDD-1? Did they arrive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back