Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 10, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #52,321 of 75,146
It is night time here, so I'll try take some in the daylight tomorrow when I have time.

You can't see much through the clear shells because the insides are "smoky" or "bubbled" up. Might have something to do with the 3D printing process. Everything inside seems very tightly packed and the cable just nearly cleared the bottom vent. It is not as beautiful as on their product pictures.
They used tinted plastic to dimming internal mess :wink: I'm kidding. It doesn't even need to look nice inside, it's just important that they packed everything properly. You can illuminate it with a flashlight on the opposite side before you take a picture.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #52,322 of 75,146
They used tinted plastic to dimming internal mess :wink: I'm kidding. It doesn't even need to look nice inside, it's just important that they packed everything properly. You can illuminate it with a flashlight on the opposite side before you take a picture.

I just tried the flashlight method and took a few test shots with my phone. Can't see s*** no matter which angle I try. What is clear is the thick silver cable is taking most of the stem. The driver area is too dark to show anything useful.

Will try more in the day, but I have preparations tomorrow for the Chinese new year over the next few days.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #52,323 of 75,146
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #52,325 of 75,146
Thanks! You know you can see more through the "smoke frosted" shells of the Monk Plus than this "clear smoke" EM5... They should have just went with a solid color so it looks neater.
After "burn-in" the plastic probably took on a little more tan :wink:
For now, you're happy with the sound?

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #52,326 of 75,146
After "burn-in" the plastic probably took on a little more tan :wink:
For now, you're happy with the sound?

The sound is still pretty good, but I think I'm getting quite used to it so it doesn't "wow" me like at first.

However, I'm still nowhere near the 200 hour mark since I only use them like an average of 8 - 10 hours a day.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #52,327 of 75,146
The sound is still pretty good, but I think I'm getting quite used to it so it doesn't "wow" me like at first.

However, I'm still nowhere near the 200 hour mark since I only use them like an average of 8 - 10 hours a day.
If you want to "burn" them, you can just use an old smartphone/pc/laptop and let it play overnight though?

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #52,328 of 75,146

When you "burn" the brain the "WOW" effect fade out. This is a completely normal because the brain adapts to the existing sound.
But forget about that, just go and enjoy the holiday :balloon::fireworks:🎇

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #52,329 of 75,146
S e n f e r PT2021 has many different versions (147 ohm, 275 ohm, 365 ohm), but only 32 ohm are available on Aliexpress so far.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #52,330 of 75,146
Just received a review unit for the NiceHCK EBX 21. Will be passing it on to another reviewer at Audioreviews after a spin with it.

364c5f14-c145-467e-9446-5f5940b7360a.jpg
2258f597-6e45-46af-b304-10770439d066.jpg

As befits its TOTL namesake, the NiceHCK EBX21 comes with very nice accessories, including a nice carrying case, a multitude of covers (full foams, donut foams, silicone rings). The cable comes with a magnetic clasp too.

So this is one TOTL earbud that has a detachable cable, unlike some of its TOTL brethen that are still stuck (no pun intended) in non detachable formats, which may be a potential source of failure down the line. During ordering, you can choose whether to get a choice of 2.5 mm or 3.5 mm or 4.4 mm termination. I know there's some hoohah that the cable itself is selling for 100 bucks or thereabouts, but FWIW, the cable is very impressively braided and supple, one of the best cables I've used in a haptic sense. It comes with a chin cinch, and the MMCX locks quite satisfyingly with a click.

The NiceHCK EBX21 can be worn cable up or down, depending on your ear anatomy and preferences. Fit is very comfortable and light.

It is very easy to drive as per its very high sensitivity. I was actually expecting it to hiss like a snake due to the high sensitivity, but surprisingly there wasn't much hiss.

OOTB impressions: quite a neutralish tuning. Very smooth with minimal peaks/troughs in the tuning, yet managing to maintain lots of microdetails. Quite a few CHIFI earbuds and IEMs do "cheat" by boosting the upper mids and lower treble to get more clarity and a sense of perceived details, but here, you can really tell the EBX21 manages to get the details in without cranking it. Imaging, clarity, soundstage and instrument separation are really top notch, definitely the best earbud I've heard in terms of technicalities. It can keep up with fast portions or complex portions of music with no congestion or issues. I daresay it has resolution approaching some multi driver IEMs, no easy feat for a earbud.

In terms of the bass, this set is midbass focused. Midbass is neutral, subbass is unfortunately rolled off like most earbuds, both in terms of quantity and extension. So the SMABAT series earbuds will still beat this set in terms of absolute subbass amounts/extension. Bass on the EBX21 is very textured though, and of high quality, with no midbass bleed. Bass accuracy and speed are good. Mids are transparent and very detailed, with no harshness at the upper mids. Vocals are very clear yet not shouty. Treble extends moderately well, and is pretty good for a earbud. Sibilance is very mild, and cymbals and highhats sound very natural with no splashiness.

Timbre on this set is excellent for instrumental timbre and vocals. Vocal lovers and those who like acoustic instruments will enjoy this set.

So I think this earbud really lives up to the name of TOTL sound, in terms of the 3 Ts of timbre, tonality and technicalities. If only it had a bit more subbass extension (like the SMABAT series earbuds), then I think the tuning would be perfect. The cost is also quite high for this set, and diminishing returns do exist especially for earbuds, but this is probably endgame level for earbuds.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #52,331 of 75,146
Just received a review unit for the NiceHCK EBX 21. Will be passing it on to another reviewer at Audioreviews after a spin with it.

According to the description, pulls for $70-60. It is better to sell it without a cable), the cost of the EBX21 is overpriced

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #52,332 of 75,146
According to the description, pulls for $70-60. It is better to sell it without a cable), the cost of the EBX21 is overpriced

Yeah I see some Aliexpress sellers selling the cable at $100ish USD. I honestly wouldn't mind if the sellers just sell the EBX21 without the cable, and then sell just the earbud at half the price.

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #52,333 of 75,146
@baskingshark thanks for first impression. If you have free time, please tell us about fit and comfort and post a few pictures of shell without foam.
I honestly wouldn't mind if the sellers just sell the EBX21 without the cable, and then sell just the earbud at half the price.
As the OG before it was discontinued. I don't mean that the cable is bad, i.e. that it does not justify its price.
The options, with or without a cable, would attract a larger number of users without any doubt.
The current option (with cable) is intended for users who want a full package and don't want to "play" with different cables.
Of course most of us don’t think that way :wink:

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #52,334 of 75,146
@baskingshark thanks for first impression. If you have free time, please tell us about fit and comfort and post a few pictures of shell without foam.

As the OG before it was discontinued. I don't mean that the cable is bad, i.e. that it does not justify its price.
The options, with or without a cable, would attract a larger number of users without any doubt.
The current option (with cable) is intended for users who want a full package and don't want to "play" with different cables.
Of course most of us don’t think that way :wink:
Going to be interesting to measure it. I wouldnt be surprised if they measure higher than the almost 7 times cheaper faaeal cable lol. :joy:

Feb 11, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #52,335 of 75,146
Going to be interesting to measure it. I wouldnt be surprised if they measure higher than the almost 7 times cheaper faaeal cable lol. :joy:
Very possible, we will see :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back