Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 11, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #52,336 of 75,275
Anyone here tried the buds that came with the original Gameboy? I stumbled across a pair on eBay the other day and couldn't help but notice that the driver cover was the same as the "PK" type buds. Either way, thought it would be a cool idea to order a pair and see if they're any good.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #52,337 of 75,275
Anyone here tried the buds that came with the original Gameboy? I stumbled across a pair on eBay the other day and couldn't help but notice that the driver cover was the same as the "PK" type buds. Either way, thought it would be a cool idea to order a pair and see if they're any good.
You are the main investigator for PK gems on this forum starting with the NOKIA buds :wink:

Feb 11, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #52,338 of 75,275
@baskingshark thanks for first impression. If you have free time, please tell us about fit and comfort and post a few pictures of shell without foam.

As the OG before it was discontinued. I don't mean that the cable is bad, i.e. that it does not justify its price.
The options, with or without a cable, would attract a larger number of users without any doubt.
The current option (with cable) is intended for users who want a full package and don't want to "play" with different cables.
Of course most of us don’t think that way :wink:

Hi attached are some pictures of the bud without foam.

11f0fb29-4f8c-4e19-a16e-18f39df21845.jpg
7ee57f0c-6838-4209-b6f8-4c41a81fa5eb.jpg
cfa5950b-70b7-4d9a-8986-5e9d535f7f2e.jpg

I find the comfort is very good. Fit wise, I needed to put a silicone ring or an extra layer of foams inside (and then put a full foam over it) to give it more filling so that it gives a better bass response and doesn't shake in the ear. YMMV though, fit is very personal due to our different ear anatomies.

It can also be worn over the ear instead of cable down, but I still use it cable down in the traditional way.

Feb 11, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #52,339 of 75,275
I

I find the comfort is very good. Fit wise, I needed to put a silicone ring or an extra layer of foams inside (and then put a full foam over it) to give it more filling so that it gives a better bass response and doesn't shake in the ear. YMMV though, fit is very personal due to our different ear anatomies.

It can also be worn over the ear instead of cable down, but I still use it cable down in the traditional way.
Thanks. :thumbsup:
Beautiful, they scream quality for sure. Magnesium-zinc alloy shells?
The OG was as strong as a tank and 2K21 continues the tradition
Hmmmm... I think I found perfect cables for them, it exactly matches the quality of workmanship
HAKUGEI LITTLE HARMONY 7N https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001940233453.html (good price)
HAQUGEI Litz 8N https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001040630053.html (heavy-duty for advanced users :wink: )

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #52,340 of 75,275

11f0fb29-4f8c-4e19-a16e-18f39df21845.jpg
7ee57f0c-6838-4209-b6f8-4c41a81fa5eb.jpg
cfa5950b-70b7-4d9a-8986-5e9d535f7f2e.jpg

darn, that is one nice looking earbuds. can't wait for your thoughts on it's sound

Feb 12, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #52,341 of 75,275
Just received a review unit for the NiceHCK EBX 21. Will be passing it on to another reviewer at Audioreviews after a spin with it.

364c5f14-c145-467e-9446-5f5940b7360a.jpg
2258f597-6e45-46af-b304-10770439d066.jpg

As befits its TOTL namesake, the NiceHCK EBX21 comes with very nice accessories, including a nice carrying case, a multitude of covers (full foams, donut foams, silicone rings). The cable comes with a magnetic clasp too.

So this is one TOTL earbud that has a detachable cable, unlike some of its TOTL brethen that are still stuck (no pun intended) in non detachable formats, which may be a potential source of failure down the line. During ordering, you can choose whether to get a choice of 2.5 mm or 3.5 mm or 4.4 mm termination. I know there's some hoohah that the cable itself is selling for 100 bucks or thereabouts, but FWIW, the cable is very impressively braided and supple, one of the best cables I've used in a haptic sense. It comes with a chin cinch, and the MMCX locks quite satisfyingly with a click.

The NiceHCK EBX21 can be worn cable up or down, depending on your ear anatomy and preferences. Fit is very comfortable and light.

It is very easy to drive as per its very high sensitivity. I was actually expecting it to hiss like a snake due to the high sensitivity, but surprisingly there wasn't much hiss.

OOTB impressions: quite a neutralish tuning. Very smooth with minimal peaks/troughs in the tuning, yet managing to maintain lots of microdetails. Quite a few CHIFI earbuds and IEMs do "cheat" by boosting the upper mids and lower treble to get more clarity and a sense of perceived details, but here, you can really tell the EBX21 manages to get the details in without cranking it. Imaging, clarity, soundstage and instrument separation are really top notch, definitely the best earbud I've heard in terms of technicalities. It can keep up with fast portions or complex portions of music with no congestion or issues. I daresay it has resolution approaching some multi driver IEMs, no easy feat for a earbud.

In terms of the bass, this set is midbass focused. Midbass is neutral, subbass is unfortunately rolled off like most earbuds, both in terms of quantity and extension. So the SMABAT series earbuds will still beat this set in terms of absolute subbass amounts/extension. Bass on the EBX21 is very textured though, and of high quality, with no midbass bleed. Bass accuracy and speed are good. Mids are transparent and very detailed, with no harshness at the upper mids. Vocals are very clear yet not shouty. Treble extends moderately well, and is pretty good for a earbud. Sibilance is very mild, and cymbals and highhats sound very natural with no splashiness.

Timbre on this set is excellent for instrumental timbre and vocals. Vocal lovers and those who like acoustic instruments will enjoy this set.

So I think this earbud really lives up to the name of TOTL sound, in terms of the 3 Ts of timbre, tonality and technicalities. If only it had a bit more subbass extension (like the SMABAT series earbuds), then I think the tuning would be perfect. The cost is also quite high for this set, and diminishing returns do exist especially for earbuds, but this is probably endgame level for earbuds.

Wow, I agree with your impressions. In fact, I don't think I could have said it better myself. Very nice!
I received it today and after a 7 hour drive in the car, it is only now that I have sat down to listen to it in peace and quiet.
I am amazed at how technically very good it is and how it shells out the details with the quality of the mids and highs. I could talk in circles and say little more than you.
To add something different and critical I will say that I find the cable heavy for earbuds, whose fit is usually lighter than iems.
I will try the plastic rings to see if I can get a more occlusive fit that allows me to boost the low end.

2021-02-12_230709.jpg2021-02-12_231205.jpg2021-02-12_231213.jpg2021-02-12_231222.jpg2021-02-12_231233.jpg2021-02-12_231247.jpg2021-02-12_231301.jpg

Feb 12, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #52,344 of 75,275
Wow, I agree with your impressions. In fact, I don't think I could have said it better myself. Very nice!
I received it today and after a 7 hour drive in the car, it is only now that I have sat down to listen to it in peace and quiet.
I am amazed at how technically very good it is and how it shells out the details with the quality of the mids and highs. I could talk in circles and say little more than you.
To add something different and critical I will say that I find the cable heavy for earbuds, whose fit is usually lighter than iems.
I will try the plastic rings to see if I can get a more occlusive fit that allows me to boost the low end.

Without cable, they look premium. Unique design, gun metal color with mat finish is great "formula" for avoiding visible fingerprints.
Engraved name and label on the side are discreet which is great. This way you can feel it under your fingers and it helps to determine the left or right side without looking.
Without attached cable, the stem has slightly above average length in the case when we have MMCX sockets.
With the cable installed, the stem looks quite long and makes it difficult to carry the cable over the ears and thereby disrupts aesthetics.
First of all the housings of MMCX are too big, the metal part (or plastic) that marks the left and right side is superfluous.
Definitely they could have done a better cable design. We have a black MMCX housings which doesn't match visually with either the buds or the plug.
No matter how attractive it looks, such thick cables are not a good option for earbuds that are worn with a lowered cable.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #52,347 of 75,275
Just wondering if anyone here has rewired a set of NiceHCK ME80 earbuds?
If so, how did you disassemble them, without doing any permanent damage?

Feb 14, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #52,348 of 75,275
Has anyone tried any of these OPENHEART buds?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001180479742.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.1.5f225294NqzskO

The styling is just beautiful, exactly what id choose, but obviously interested in how they sound. I am most likely gonna order the X6 tonight anyway, but if I can have another pair with this metal casing style which sound good im all over them!

I have a pair and wasn't impressed, don't know what others think about them

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #52,349 of 75,275
I finally got the red pair of Monk+ I was talking about earlier. I was pretty excited knowing this is actually my first pair of Monk+ too. I liked them enough to justify buying another pair of Monk+ but this time in brown from a new Ali listing. I'm planning on re-cabling those, re-cabling a pair of transparent ones and keeping these red ones as is (unless I manage to find a version of that citrus orange cable somewhere). Now I'm kinda tempted to search for some original Monks but I feel like I might not want to end up paying a fortune for a good pair :laughing:. Either way, hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day :ksc75smile:.

20210212_093555_HDR.jpg20210212_093715_HDR.jpg

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #52,350 of 75,275
I've been out of the head-fi game for a few years, finally getting back into it now and I'm looking forward to adding some more Monks to my collection. Imagine my surprise logging back on after 3 or 4 years and finding out that not only are the Monks still available, but are thriving with even more additions. Looking forward to checking out the Monk+ SPC as well as the Monk Lite, not to mention the other buds from ali that I got my eyes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back