Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #51,646 of 75,729
And they are VERY far in prices as well! :sweat_smile:

I didn't ear Yincrow X6, only that they really seem to sound great, might try them! :thumbsup: :beerchug:
the x6 are excellent buds and are well-tuned stock. but honestly, they don't come near the compensated datura pro. However, I'd recommend them for your use case (iPod shuffle)

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #51,647 of 75,729
I want to mention great potential of Aluminum coating driver. Not to be underestimated at all

Use Google Translate. It's similar as EQ :grinning:
LOL. made me laugh while reading this!

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #51,648 of 75,729
LOL. made me laugh while reading this!
We had a very heated discussion yesterday. We overheated this forum in a short period of time :)

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #51,650 of 75,729
I do find EQ kinda frustrating.. like it weighs over me a bit.
Using headphones as an example... to my ears, my HD599's and HD560s' sound nigh-on identical after using Oratory1990's EQ settings. This makes the HD599's incredible value when seen on sale.

However that's only useful when running from a source which allows parametric EQ control. When I want to run off my PS5 / Series X controllers... all of a sudden stock tuning really matters (in this particular example, I find the HD560s' far superior).

Which brings me to where I am now. Looking for a pair of earbuds with the best stock tuning for this usage... which I can perhaps "tune-up" a little via EQ when listening from other sources (like my Qudelix 5K).

This is proving quite difficult.

Currently considering the:

-Fiio EM5,
-Shozy BK; and
-Moondrop Chaconne (Gen 2)

I also have some Yincrow X6 and RW-9's on order from Aliexpress, which should arrive sometime within the next 1- 9 months. (*sigh*)
But from what I've read so far, if you're usage always allows EQ, the FAAEAL Datura Pro's are hard to beat value-wise.
Ok, I've just read through 6 or 7 pages, trying to catch up on posts in this thread before I got to your post. I'm going to respond because you've ordered some awesome buds with good stock tuning (rw9 and x6), and you're also considering higher tier buds, like the EM5 (which I own and have listened to extensively (since release) after burning them in for a full 200 hours, per @ClieOS recommendation.)

I'm going to weigh in here with my opinion regarding EQ and also try to bring some clarity as to what my approach is with earbuds.

I realize historically "audiophiles" disdain EQ'ing their audio equipment, especially at the termination of their audio chain. To @RikudouGoku's point, there are a number of things "audiophiles" utilize that are fundamentally "eq'ing" their sound -- from bass boost, to installing acoustic foam in their listening rooms, to spending tons of money on cables and tube amps. All of these things add coloration to the sound in a manner that is specific to the "audiophile's" listening tastes. They are equalizing the sound to an expectation in their mind. That said, there are the few "purists," like @Alex.Grimm, do whatever it takes to maintain a level of purity through out their entire chain. This is hard to do and requires a lot of money to pull off well. I was this sort of "purist" years ago but gave up quickly since the amount of money it would take to match my ears with the expectations of playing in symphony orchestras for 10+ years would have required around $150k in equipment and retrofitting my room.

So let's be clear, most "audiophiles" do not have a problem with the fundamental concept of EQ -- they have issues with software-based EQ.

And I get it, to the mind of the "purist" software alterations to sound is more troubling than hardware influences to sound. You'll never hear me argue that software eq is the better approach, even though it is. j/k (I couldn't resist adding a bit of levity to this topic) :)

I'm a strong proponent for software EQ. A good number of audiophiles will never accept that and I'm ok with that. I likely won't ever convince them to see otherwise and that doesn't bother me. I'm more focused on trying to encourage new fans of earbuds to hear the possibility of jaw-dropping sound quality because of EQ to really affordable buds. By the way, @furyossa is not the software EQ freak that I am -- he's a bit of both worlds and has one foot in the hardware side of things and another foot in the software "world."

There are users here who will never accept software EQ. I think this also has to do with their typical daily source usage. In my case, all my listening is done on the following devices: Pixel 4a 5g, Pixel 4XL (likely will be trading in for a Samsung S21 via the t-mobile $800 credit deal!), Note 10, Sony nw-a105, windows laptop, windows desktop, and older MacBook pro.

Why I am a big proponent of EQ'ing earbuds:
1. With my compensation files, it's easy to maintain consistency across various platforms and sources. It is also restrictive, for many users, sadly. (ie. iPhone users.)
2. Compensation files allow for quick, easy experimentation with various target curves. Click one file, click another, etc.
3. The improvement can be dramatic, especially with some earbud drivers. ie. datura pro.

Last words....
EQ'ing can be a pretty daunting task in and of itself. If I didn't have measuring equipment, I'd be lost completely. There are so many synergies and unpredictable elements as to how changes in one part of the FR affects others. A big motivation for my work is two-fold:
  1. Trying to understand if there can be a rough target that improves the sound of earbuds, ala harman target, oratory1990, toranku, diffuse-field, etc.
  2. Take the heavy lifting out of what sounds great and allow users to quickly improve their earbuds and make the more specific adjustments themselves.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #51,651 of 75,729
You're welcome, I see that you've had a fair bit of recommendations by fellow earbuds experts in the meantime, in advance sorry for your wallet with all this choice to go through!! :sweat_smile:
Fortunately enough, earbuds are on the cheaper side (compared to full-size headphones or IEMs), even for TOTL buds, which would be considered lower mid-Fi in term of price. :relaxed:

As for Yincrow, you can find them here : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32902306950.html (only 2 left according to the page, hurry up if you want one!), that's where I got mine from.
K's LBB (or LBW) can be found here : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32902306950.html (again, only 2 LBW -with the white cable- and 3 LBB -black cable with mic-, I have LBW, so the white cable one...), I got mine from this seller too, a well recognized shop on Head-Fi.
TMusic I got from here : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001589119116.html and yes I got the wooden version (real wood btw, not wood-like or whatever! :relaxed:) and got no problem with them, though @baskingshark did get a fake tracking number and never got his set and some other have mentioned QC problems, so be aware of that! I have only praises to make about them, though. :thumbsup:
JCALLY EP-05 : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005001547137732.html Don't buy them from Smabat official store, where they are almost double the price! I've got mine from this seller and delivery was quick, I'm waiting for the rest of JCALLY lineup from the same seller, should have them next week. :relaxed:

As for EQ I'm using Neutron Player or Onkyo HF Player on my iPhone and they are really good with a free curve EQ, very versatile. :thumbsup:

Between Yincrow and jcally, which is your favorite?

Even though I keep spinning the green toneking.

Edit: I just saw that JCALLY is 16mm, that's really big.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #51,652 of 75,729
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32807226027.html

If you are on android and using local files, you can use the neutron player or UAPP for their PEQ.
If you're on android 9+, then wavelet is an excellent option. It's systemwide, so you can run local and streaming music. Some devices will require enabling "legacy mode" in wavelet, though. The wavelet files are more granular in FR impact than PEQ settings in general and wavelet's "eq strength" allows for really easy amplitude adjustments to the overall correction curve. If you're able to run wavelet, it's game-changing, at least for me.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #51,653 of 75,729
If you're on android 9+, then wavelet is an excellent option. It's systemwide, so you can run local and streaming music. Some devices will require enabling "legacy mode" in wavelet, though. The wavelet files are more granular in FR impact than PEQ settings in general and wavelet's "eq strength" allows for really easy amplitude adjustments to the overall correction curve. If you're able to run wavelet, it's game-changing, at least for me.
Im happy with the neutron players peq. I dont use eq on it that much though so I dont really need anything better.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #51,654 of 75,729
Im happy with the neutron players peq. I dont use eq on it that much though so I dont really need anything better.
oops.... responded to your post but meant for my info to be directed to @Braekfast!

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #51,656 of 75,729
oops.... responded to your post but meant for my info to be directed to @Braekfast!
I was actually just in the process of installing wavelet. I've only used it for my KSC75 right now. But wow, the difference is really noticeable. They just sound a lot fuller right off the bat. I'm already stoked to use it on my different earbuds.
I'm totally going to look for an option on my PC as well for EQ. If the difference on my HD555's is the same as on the KSC75 right now, I'm going to feel real silly about not looking into this sooner.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #51,657 of 75,729
I was actually just in the process of installing wavelet. I've only used it for my KSC75 right now. But wow, the difference is really noticeable. They just sound a lot fuller right off the bat. I'm already stoked to use it on my different earbuds.
I'm totally going to look for an option on my PC as well for EQ. If the difference on my HD555's is the same as on the KSC75 right now, I'm going to feel real silly about not looking into this sooner.
For windows, Jriver has an inbuilt PEQ.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #51,658 of 75,729
By the way, @furyossa is not the software EQ freak that I am -- he's a bit of both worlds and has one foot in the hardware side of things and another foot in the software "world."
You described me very well. :beerchug: :beerchug:
I'm the worst case for sure.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #51,659 of 75,729
. If you use LG V or G series phone QuadDac will not work for low impedance buds (below 50ohms).

That's not true - the quad dac is switchable on or off manually by the user, but if on then it works regardless of the impedence of the earphones. You are mistaking the quad dac for the high impedence mode, which kicks in when the earphone is 50ohms or above, to provide more juice to them.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #51,660 of 75,729
That's not true - the quad dac is switchable on or off manually by the user, but if on then it works regardless of the impedence of the earphones. You are mistaking the quad dac for the high impedence mode, which kicks in when the earphone is 50ohms or above, to provide more juice to them.
Yup. My bad. "Gain" mode over 50ohm :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back