Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #51,346 of 75,419
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #51,347 of 75,419
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #51,348 of 75,419
Wow, several months later they replied. Looks like the YY BK2 uses a plain PET diaphragm. Interesting.

Also I moved the yincrow RW-9 up in my list, they're all good. I'm noticing some midbass on the NSC clear that seems to be absent from the RW-9, leading to better low-end presentation on the RW-9, though I enjoy the accentuated mids/treble on the NSC clear. It really comes down to preference.

Tl;dr
X6 for bassheads, plain warm with well executed bass boost. Overall resolution is just average.

RW-9 is similar to X6 with a little less bass and a little more upper mids/treble. Slightly better resolution.

NSC Clear has less bass than RW-9 but mids are more prominent. Might have too much midbass; the bass on the RW-9 seems better controlled. About the same resolution as the RW-9. It also sounds more airy, probably a spike somewhere 10khz-20khz range. Neutral with a little warmth.

All three have similar soundstage.

I still think the BK2 is the best choice for anyone who wants a clean neutral signature, though it has no warmth to its bass, so definitely not for bassheads, and it also has a smaller soundstage. But it has the best resolution and timbre imo.

If I had to recommend anything it'd be the RW-9 and BK2. At higher prices, you're going to get much better fidelity in IEMs.

Also found this old comparison of the X6 and RW-9 posted by Sam L, figure I'd repost it, seems accurate to my ears.

Attachments

• yincrow_x6_vs_rw9.jpg
    yincrow_x6_vs_rw9.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210104-093143_Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-093143_Mail.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 0
Jan 7, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #51,349 of 75,419
The "REAL" price is really fascinating. Last week the price was $209 and now with a 30% discount it is $229 :ok_hand:

Usual Aliexpress tricks. I've noticed before a big sale, they suddenly jack up the price by 50% or more, then they put a "50% discount" for the actual sale, so it evens out LOL. Some new folks to the hobby will see 50% discount and pull the trigger unwittingly.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #51,350 of 75,419
Usual Aliexpress tricks. I've noticed before a big sale, they suddenly jack up the price by 50% or more, then they put a "50% discount" for the actual sale, so it evens out LOL. Some new folks to the hobby will see 50% discount and pull the trigger unwittingly.
Price history for Aliexpress:
https://www.pricearchive.org/

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #51,351 of 75,419
There's a shop selling the Tingo TC200 drivers - 5 pairs for $8. Don't know if they're just riding on the hype on these but they are a well known and reliable shop... link

1610070857369.png

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #51,352 of 75,419
There's a shop selling the Tingo TC200 drivers - 5 pairs for $8. Don't know if they're just riding on the hype on these but they are a well known and reliable shop... link

1610070857369.png
This is original TC200 driver (shell is modified MX500)
tc200.jpg

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #51,354 of 75,419
Looks quite similar to me.
Yup. The glue is the only difference that I noticed but be sure to check the specs

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #51,355 of 75,419
Price is not the answer here but rather the effect of impedance. Many believe the Black-Gold 150Ω requires an amp to sound its best. So if you are planning to use it from a mobile source like a smartphone or a weak DAP then we would recommend the 40Ω model instead. The following are some nice comparisons between the models posted by our resident expert (god-tier level earbud authority) known as @ClieOS

Thanks for the input and quote from ClieOS. Really appreciated :)

There's a full comparison between the gold and silver somewhere in this thread, though I can't find the actual post right now. From what I remember reading, the black gold is warmer but requires a amp to reach full potential.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3197#post-15619341

I do own the Smabat ST-10s black/gold and comes close to your criteria for sound signature. However, it is slightly rolled off in the treble and it definitely has a warm tilt. I can't speak for if its comparable to your ER2XR. Though I will say it was good enough to not have me reaching for my ER4XR and HD650.

I'm sold when you say ST-10s make you not reaching for the ER4XR, that also one of my favorite IEM.

Just ordered the Black/Gold version from Aliexpress for 97$. I don't know it's good deal or not but the price is acceptable.

Thanks again for all the advice :relaxed:

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #51,356 of 75,419
I'm sold when you say ST-10s make you not reaching for the ER4XR, that also one of my favorite IEM.

Just ordered the Black/Gold version from Aliexpress for 97$. I don't know it's good deal or not but the price is acceptable.

Its a different sound for sure but still fun to listen to in its own way. If I had to come up with a comparison, I'd probably say similar to HD650s with better quality bass. You can even get decent treble extension if you opt for donut foams but it does get a sibilant at time.

Thats a great price! I paid $149 shipped on Penon Audio a month ago. Hope you get them soon!

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #51,357 of 75,419
Thanks for the input and quote from ClieOS. Really appreciated :)

Seems like a good price for the Black/Gold's! Link please?

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #51,358 of 75,419
Its a different sound for sure but still fun to listen to in its own way. If I had to come up with a comparison, I'd probably say similar to HD650s with better quality bass. You can even get decent treble extension if you opt for donut foams but it does get a sibilant at time.

Thats a great price! I paid $149 shipped on Penon Audio a month ago. Hope you get them soon!

Well, it should be great for the price and having HD650 sound signature.

Seems like a good price for the Black/Gold's! Link please?

Here the link: https://a.aliexpress.com/_msLhiih

You will get total 14$ discount by collect the store coupon for 4$ discount and use the code during check out for another 10$ discount.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #51,359 of 75,419

You will get total 14$ discount by collect the store coupon for 4$ discount and use the code during check out for another 10$ discount.
This is just one example (of many) of the helpful camaraderie and friendliness of our group and why we have the most "bad a@$!" thread on Head-Fi. I really appreciate and am sincerely thankful of that as it makes my day, everyday to visit the thread. Cheers and respects to all.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #51,360 of 75,419
Well, it should be great for the price and having HD650 sound signature.

Thanks a lot!!! My favorite store too! It comes out to $128.44 CAD, which is the best price I've seen for them. They would be my most expensive buds, but I've been lusting after them for a while (I have their ancestors, the Svara L 32 omh which I love), so now might be time (re-reading those quotes from ClieOS are not helping lol).

Anyway, done! I think I deserve them :)

Price is not the answer here but rather the effect of impedance. Many believe the Black-Gold 150Ω requires an amp to sound its best. So if you are planning to use it from a mobile source like a smartphone or a weak DAP then we would recommend the 40Ω model instead. The following are some nice comparisons between the models posted by our resident expert (god-tier level earbud authority) known as @ClieOS

They will indeed sound awesome off of my desktop amp. And hopefully they will sound okay off of my bluetooth receiver (BTRK3 balanced). Someday I hope to also get the Qudelix 5K which will hopefully push them nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back