Earbuds Round-Up
May 16, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #47,941 of 75,470
Do you think the Radsone ES100 bluetooth DAC/AMP will be able to power the Ry4S 300 ohm sufficiently?

I don't own the ES100. But my humble fiio A3 which has no balanced output can drive it.

May 16, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #47,942 of 75,470
Any recommendations in the $200 range? My most frequently used 'phones are blon bl03's, ety er2xr, akg k371.

May 16, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #47,943 of 75,470
Any recommendations in the $200 range? My most frequently used 'phones are blon bl03's, ety er2xr, akg k371.

I don't have some of the higher end buds like Shozy, Rose, K's, Ourart QJ21 and Simphonio. So I couldn't say. Perhaps @ClieOS or @golov17 could make a recommendation.

If you want great mids & highs and don't mind a possible lack of bass quantity (very fit dependant), the Ourart ACG are very good. I have a decent fit and there is enough bass for me but I'm not a basshead.

If you want a neutral'ish sound that has bass that reaches deep, the ST-10 may be more to your liking. I had the originals (v1 & v2) but haven't heard the new ones.

You could get both of these for less than your budget.

May 16, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #47,944 of 75,470

Some of the Blur earbuds, from Wong Kuan Wae [ https://www.facebook.com/wkuanwae ], are in that price range. If you contact him, he can create earbuds for you, that have a sound signature to match your requirements.

May 16, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #47,946 of 75,470
My most listened to iem is the er4xr and I absolutely love the Smabat st-10. It has a very similar sound, dry, clear, detailed with a sub bass lift.
That's a pretty interesting statement, considering Etymotic's ER series is highly regarded. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the differences between the two. How's their attack, timbre, and staging/imaging compare? Also how's the treble extension on the st-10, does treble have good air and sparkle, or is it more flat and dull?

Also I'm assuming you have the original 45ohm st-10, if it's the st-10s which ohm variant is it? Thanks for your time.

I really enjoy my bk2, but my two largest complaints are lack of bass and treble sparkle. If the st-10 has those, especially good treble extension, it'll definitely be at the top of my wish list.

May 16, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #47,947 of 75,470
Also I'm assuming you have the original 45ohm st-10, if it's the st-10s which ohm variant is it? Thanks for your time.

ST-10S Black Gold is absolutely stunning, but it required a decent source with a bit of power. Driving it from a weak source, while still sounds good, won't likely going to be its best. In comparison, ST-10 is slightly drier - think of it as closer to ER4S tuning while ST-10S Black Glod is somewhere in between ER4P and ER4S.

As for ST-10S Black SIlver - it is more like a smoothed down ER4P. But last I heard, Smabat might be doing a small reversion to improve its treble so it can be closer to the original ST-10 tuning, as requested by many of ST-10 original users.

May 16, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #47,948 of 75,470
ST-10S Black Gold is absolutely stunning, but it required a decent source with a bit of power. Driving it from a weak source, while still sounds good, won't likely going to be its best. In comparison, ST-10 is slightly drier - think of it as closer to ER4S tuning while ST-10S Black Glod is somewhere in between ER4P and ER4S.

As for ST-10S Black SIlver - it is more like a smoothed down ER4P. But last I heard, Smabat might be doing a small reversion to improve its treble so it can be closer to the original ST-10 tuning, as requested by many of ST-10 original users.

Thanks for your impressions.

How does ST10S Black Gold compare to some of the TOTL/higher tier earbuds?

May 16, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #47,950 of 75,470
Thanks for your impressions.

How does ST10S Black Gold compare to some of the TOTL/higher tier earbuds?

It is a ToTL on its own right. While the original ST-10 might sounds a little dry for some, technically it is almost as good as any earbud. ST-10S Black Gold just improves upon its by a slight retuning that gives it just enough warmth without taking away the neutralness, with also an improvement on a more immersive soundstage.

How do I know what earbuds are good?

You can start by reading a lot of impression and review from this thread and pick one (or a few) that is most likely going to fit your taste, but ultimately the answer is: buy enough of them and find out for yourself.

May 16, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #47,951 of 75,470
It is a ToTL on its own right. While the original ST-10 might sounds a little dry for some, technically it is almost as good as any earbud. ST-10S Black Gold just improves upon its by a slight retuning that gives it just enough warmth without taking away the neutralness, with also an improvement on a more immersive soundstage.

I ordered my ST-10s Black/Gold on 11-APR, and according to AliExpress shipping, it was handed over to their Post Office on 12-APR.
There's been no additional tracking info.
So, I'm still looking forward to receiving my earbuds.

May 16, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #47,952 of 75,470
I ordered my ST-10s Black/Gold on 11-APR, and according to AliExpress shipping, it was handed over to their Post Office on 12-APR.
There's been no additional tracking info.
So, I'm still looking forward to receiving my earbuds.

International shipping is a mess right now due to the pandemic. Most small packages were used to hitch a ride on passenger airplanes in the past for faster delivery, but now most of these kind of flights have stopped and therefore all packages have to wait in long line, general right after all the protection gears needed for emergency.

May 17, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #47,954 of 75,470

Aw.. A couple weeks back I ordered the st-10s black silver. I'm wondering if I should of just waited for the revision. Oh well.

May 17, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #47,955 of 75,470
That's a pretty interesting statement, considering Etymotic's ER series is highly regarded. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the differences between the two. How's their attack, timbre, and staging/imaging compare? Also how's the treble extension on the st-10, does treble have good air and sparkle, or is it more flat and dull?

I really enjoy my bk2, but my two largest complaints are lack of bass and treble sparkle. If the st-10 has those, especially good treble extension, it'll definitely be at the top of my wish list.

I have the original ST-10.

The attack I feel is really similar. It has a boosted sub bass, if you listen to a frequency sweep you get the same airplane rumble as the ER4XR below 80Hz. The sub bass drops a little, giving it a fast decay and the dryer sound in the same way.

The timbre on the ER4XR is better. The ST-10 sometimes sounds thin, whereas the ER always sounds natural in the mids. It's not always night and day though, but the ER has that little extra something there.

The imaging on the ST-10 is razor sharp, and the soundstage is better. The ER gives me the impression that I am in a small studio room with all the music, which I guess makes sense, since that is probably where they recorded. The ER has good horizontal imaging, but the ST-10 has a wider spacing, and also has a tall soundstage and a better sense of depth.

The treble extension on the ST-10 is better, for better or worse. The ER has natural treble, and the ST-10 has a touch more. It has sparkle, but not glitter (like my KZ ZS6 - glitter bomb...).

Overall, the sound signature is very similar to my ears, even though I nit-pik here and there.
The big difference is the ER4XR has a more natural timber, and the ST-10 has better imaging and soundstage.
Both are a little uncomfortable, but still better than headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back