Earbuds Round-Up
May 28, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #4,953 of 75,348
@ClieOS, sifu, since you mentioned that only the Mojitos are wide and detailed, and seeing that they are beyond my reach, I am considering the Tings then.

In terms of details and sound-staging, how well do they stack up against the DIY Dual Drivers?

Thank-you 

May 28, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #4,954 of 75,348
  @ClieOS, sifu, since you mentioned that only the Mojitos are wide and detailed, and seeing that they are beyond my reach, I am considering the Tings then.

In terms of details and sound-staging, how well do they stack up against the DIY Dual Drivers?

Thank-you 

Of all the earbuds I have tried, Cygnus is closest to Mojito, but it is still less neutral & wide than the Mojito, and I have never heard any earbud nearly as detailed as Mojito either.

Personally I am waiting to find a cheaper (sub $100) earbud which is very similar to the Mojito. I don't know if it'll ever happen, the Mojito is truly a marvel. I'm sure it'll disappear from the market one day and become a thing of legend.

May 28, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #4,955 of 75,348
Well, having gotten in Easy's 2 detachable earbuds today, giving them a very quick listen (I've had them 30 minutes or so) I'm not going to even jokingly compare the two to other earbuds I own as I'm also playing with a new dac/amp the Encore mDSD which I picked up off @ClieOS's suggestion.  That and the fact that neither came with an MMCX cable, so I'm borrowing an over ear cable from my Pai Audio DR1 which results in an odd fit for the larger of the two earbuds given it's rather asymmetrical shape.  I'll order a cable sometime tonight that doens't force an over ear fit.  The smaller and more expensive of the two fits quite comfortably in an over ear fit, so I may actually leave it on this cable.

The one that states it uses the original PK1 driver(which I shall refer to as A for ease) has the more enjoyable sound out of the box.  The less expensive earbud uses a 15mm driver (I'll call this one B), so it's a fairly large shell all things considered.  Doing my best to estimate the same volume, the sub bass is better on A, and vocals so far seem fairly decent.  I'd guess this is a fairly balanced level of sub bass, but I'm unaware of a truly bass-centric earbud, just some earbuds that produce bass at higher levels than others.  The instruments on A feel slightly recessed compared to vocals, which for me is rarely the case on what I listen to (which in all honestly a lot of my gear can be either v shaped or be known for being treble heavy).  I will note instrument detail feels fairly decent all things considered, as instruments in the background of the track I'm listening to are noticeable, which isn't always the case.

As far as B is concerned, I really feel I should wait until I get a more suiting MMCX cable until I post any impressions whatsoever, as even something like this can color anyone's perspective.

May 28, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #4,956 of 75,348

"VVV" as in downward pointing arrows? LOL
biggrin.gif

Gramo One and Cygnus come to mind. Actually Zen 2 and Asura 2 do quite well on mid with the right source as well. Truth being told, I really haven't noticed any particularly great mid-centric earbuds in the market right now (* not that Gramo One or Cygnus are bad in anyway either, just that they are not exactly mid-centric)

thanks mate! i like the monk mids though haha

May 29, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #4,957 of 75,348
what about philips earbuds?

I have http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/SHE2670BW_98/in-ear-headphones and have used philps she1350 http://imagenes.anunciadoentv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/h/philips_1350.jpg

I think the first one is almost as good as apple, but not really, biased opinion since I have been using them for a few years now, they sounded a bit better with my iphone 6s than my iphone 5, but I guess that was expected, I am pretty sure there are many other philips earbuds that would be better, I just got these because they were on sale, although now the she2670 cost about 20 aud on ebay, I got them for just 5

May 29, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #4,958 of 75,348
what about philips earbuds?

I have http://www.philips.co.in/c-p/SHE2670BW_98/in-ear-headphones and have used philps she1350 http://imagenes.anunciadoentv.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/h/philips_1350.jpg

I think the first one is almost as good as apple, but not really, biased opinion since I have been using them for a few years now, they sounded a bit better with my iphone 6s than my iphone 5, but I guess that was expected, I am pretty sure there are many other philips earbuds that would be better, I just got these because they were on sale, although now the she2670 cost about 20 aud on ebay, I got them for just 5
only SHE3800 really very well :)
13335947_1069848839776261_6687007999097732909_n.jpg

https://m.fasttech.com/products/0/10005987/1460600-philips-she3800-3-5mm-earphone
if you are lucky enough to catch a good pair :wink:

May 29, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #4,959 of 75,348
only SHE3800 really very well
smily_headphones1.gif

13335947_1069848839776261_6687007999097732909_n.jpg

https://m.fasttech.com/products/0/10005987/1460600-philips-she3800-3-5mm-earphone
if you are lucky enough to catch a good pair
wink.gif

I just ordered some, for less than 5 aud, more of an impulse buy, but one can't have too many earbuds, they should come a bit after the ve monk+, wanted to know however what the OP thought about philips earbuds

May 29, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #4,960 of 75,348

Of all the earbuds I have tried, Cygnus is closest to Mojito, but it is still less neutral & wide than the Mojito, and I have never heard any earbud nearly as detailed as Mojito either.

Personally I am waiting to find a cheaper (sub $100) earbud which is very similar to the Mojito. I don't know if it'll ever happen, the Mojito is truly a marvel. I'm sure it'll disappear from the market one day and become a thing of legend.

Do you own the Mojitos? 
Since I already own the Cygnus, I also consider the details of the earbud to be very good. However, sound-staging is just not one of it's strong points. If the Tings have the details of Cygnus with a wider sound-stage, that would be good.

May 29, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #4,961 of 75,348

Thank-you 

If Mojito's soundstage is a 10, then DIY dual driver is probably an 7.5 and Ting is probably an 8. Ting is rated higher than DIY D.D. because its has a more laid back and slightly more 3D (mostly thanks to its more robust lower end) presentation.

As for detail, also with Mojito as a 10, DIY dual driver will be an 6 and Ting will be 7.5. Ting is rated higher because, unlike DIY D.D's high which gets a little grainy on higher volume, Ting's high is more delicate.

May 29, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #4,962 of 75,348

If Mojito's soundstage is a 10, then DIY dual driver is probably an 7.5 and Ting is probably an 8. Ting is rated higher than DIY D.D. because its has a more laid back and slightly more 3D (mostly thanks to its more robust lower end) presentation.

As for detail, also with Mojito as a 10, DIY dual driver will be an 6 and Ting will be 7.5. Ting is rated higher because, unlike DIY D.D's high which gets a little grainy on higher volume, Ting's high is more delicate.

Thank-you for the informative reply sifu. 

Okay, I shall seriously consider my purchase for the Tings then. But those Mojitos though........Wish I knew about them back when they were still 700++RMB.

May 29, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #4,964 of 75,348

I love these scale comparison. I hope many more doing comparison like this. Of course it still depends on one's perceptions but still, it's makes MORE sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back